The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them

The real problems is were not getting WR1 production from anyone on he team (and the QB play hurt).

If, for example, Parker was the WR1, things might look a little different.
Excellent point. Landry's supporters want the team to pay him #1 WR money, even though he's not. And that's an extremely short-sighted thing to do when the team is lacking a #1 receiver and will have to pay for one in order for the team to improve. Not a good idea to keep overpaying people when there's still a huge lack of talent on both sides of the ball.

We lose Landry we lose our best RZ target last year. 6'3 Parker caught less than 17% of his passes inside the 10 while 5'11 Landry caught 78% of his passes inside the 10. I would gladly pay him at least 13 million. His value to the team is worth at least that. We all want a stud #1 WR unfortunately in the last 15 years we have failed draft a #1 WR, and our free agent pickups have bombed. If replacing/drafting/singning quality players was as easy as many want it to be or think it is. Than why is it taking so long to fix the mess that has been our OL and why did it take so long to find a QB to replace not Dan Marino but to surpass Jay freaking Fiedler as our longest tenured starting QB.

Some of you people on this thread are a joke.

Just know that the minute Juice is released, I guarentee New England picks him up and we're looking at Wes Welker 2.0.

We better f'n sign this guy.

I will bet you ANYTHING that New England will NOT SIGN LANDRY
IT'S NOT HOW THEY DO BUSINESS.

And frankly I'm tired of "If we don't sign player x
he will go to New England"

The real problems is were not getting WR1 production from anyone on he team (and the QB play hurt).

If, for example, Parker was the WR1, things might look a little different.
and if Landry got 14 we would be paying 22 million a year for 2 non #1 receivers, I want to let him walk for that reason alone. Personally, I like Stills better anyway.

Some of you people on this thread are a joke.

Just know that the minute Juice is released, I guarentee New England picks him up and we're looking at Wes Welker 2.0.

We better f'n sign this guy.
I will bet you ANYTHING that New England will NOT SIGN LANDRY
IT'S NOT HOW THEY DO BUSINESS.

And frankly I'm tired of "If we don't sign player x
he will go to New England"
Well said. I get the Wes Welker stuff but who else? Ninkovich? Sammy Morris? Brandon Gibson? Mike Gillislee? Silly narrative

"pay the man" "pay the man".....never mind that we need help in so many positions, let's just over pay for a slot WR and of course once we do that we still never a real #1.....so lets just say Parker becomes that #1 then how do we keep him when it's time for him to be a free agent? Do we just let him go to keep Landry because "he plays with passion"?
Now lets say Parker doesn't become that number 1.....we still need to bring a #1. I'd love to keep Landry but I'd not pay him 10mill a year, lets alone 14. Our FO keeps making these kinds of dumb deals that are bringing the team down but what's amazing to me is how many people on this board wants the FO to keep making those same dumb deals......I guess people just never learn....smh

Ozzy rules!!

After reading through this thread, my vote is : don’t overpay and if he walks enjoy that 3rd or 4th round comp pick. Use the money saved on signing and upgrading positions of need.

Does anyone remember Welker's td production in his 3 years/46 games
with us? He had 1 receiving td in 46 games/3 years

I don't care what he did after he left us
I only cared what he did for us and it wasn't very much

No... What I'm saying is that his TD production can easily be replaced by RBs and TEs...

Not that I'm arguing. I agree Miami must do a lot better with their TE usage but 2017 was a different season for Landry. This season he didn't have the big long plays like the few he's had in the past. However, 2017 he produced in the red zone which hasn't ever done. Your slot WR needs to be a red zone threat especially when that position typically isn't the beyond 20 yard guy like the wide outs should be. I go back and forth with Landry and his future. I love him as a player and his productivity is off the charts. But is he worth 14 million a season? Probably not. Although realistically Miami needs to look beyond the position label of slot vs wide out. They paid Stills 8 million a season for one good season. Landry now has 4 very good seasons. If Stills had 4 productive seasons like Landry would Miami have paid him 14 million? Once again, don't look at the position just the value. Can Miami create an offense where their best offensive player is the slot WR and pay him as their best? They sure can. It ultimately comes down to what Gase envisions for the team. Personally I want Miami to keep their best players instead of letting them walk. Just my opinion.

Not that I'm arguing. I agree Miami must do a lot better with their TE usage but 2017 was a different season for Landry. This season he didn't have the big long plays like the few he's had in the past. However, 2017 he produced in the red zone which hasn't ever done. Your slot WR needs to be a red zone threat especially when that position typically isn't the beyond 20 yard guy like the wide outs should be. I go back and forth with Landry and his future. I love him as a player and his productivity is off the charts. But is he worth 14 million a season? Probably not. Although realistically Miami needs to look beyond the position label of slot vs wide out. They paid Stills 8 million a season for one good season. Landry now has 4 very good seasons. If Stills had 4 productive seasons like Landry would Miami have paid him 14 million? Once again, don't look at the position just the value. Can Miami create an offense where their best offensive player is the slot WR and pay him as their best? They sure can. It ultimately comes down to what Gase envisions for the team. Personally I want Miami to keep their best players instead of letting them walk. Just my opinion.
When you ask if the team can "create an offense where their best player is a slot and pay him like one?" The team has been running it's offense thru Landry and it has not worked at all. We've had one of the lowest scoring offense in the NFL with him being the number one target.

When you say the team "needs to look past the position".......that's how we got in a cap mess to start with when we made a DT the highest defensive player in the NFL. The pay structure of super bowl winning teams does not include over paying for DT's and slot WR's. You pay big money for your QB and the guys that can get to the QB. If you over pay for Landry then we'll have a big problem once we have a real number 1 in place.

Like you said, he's have 4 very good seasons and yet the team can't score enough. No it's not his fault but rather, the fault lies with your line of thinking that running an offense thru a slow slot WR would work. It hasn't and it won't and you've had 4 years of it so there's no excuse for anyone not to know. It's right there for everyone to see. A slot WR catching 100 passes will not work when 90 of them are 5 yards or shorter.

Ozzy rules!!

When you ask if the team can "create an offense where their best player is a slot and pay him like one?" The team has been running it's offense thru Landry and it has not worked at all. We've had one of the lowest scoring offense in the NFL with him being the number one target.

When you say the team "needs to look past the position".......that's how we got in a cap mess to start with when we made a DT the highest defensive player in the NFL. The pay structure of super bowl winning teams does not include over paying for DT's and slot WR's. You pay big money for your QB and the guys that can get to the QB. If you over pay for Landry then we'll have a big problem once we have a real number 1 in place.

Like you said, he's have 4 very good seasons and yet the team can't score enough. No it's not his fault but rather, the fault lies with your line of thinking that running an offense thru a slow slot WR would work. It hasn't and it won't and you've had 4 years of it so there's no excuse for anyone not to know. It's right there for everyone to see. A slot WR catching 100 passes will not work when 90 of them are 5 yards or shorter.

Ozzy rules!!

Are you saying we've had one of the lowest scoring offenses BECAUSE of the amount of targets Landry gets or because he is by default our #1 receiver?

if its the 1st one to that I say the Patriots of 2001 had the #6 scoring offense with Troy Brown as their primary target. I know Brady is Brady but I'd like to believe 2016 version of Ryan Tannehill if not better than 2001 Brady isn't that far off. I'd also like to believe besides OL the 2016 phins had better WR/HB/TE corp than the 2001 pats. Obviously Pats had better defense/coach/and OL thus a Super Bowl.

Also since we've had Landry and a healthy Thill our scoring offense has been #11, #27, and #17..2014 Wallace had 3 more targets than Landry, 2015 I would say is a wash as we had a coach change and Coordinator change in the middle of the year it was just a mess all the way through. 2016 without out all the fuss of 2015 we went back up to #17. 2017 could have been an upward trend with Thill in the lineup, maybe even a top 10 or right outside the top 10 offense.

Are you saying we've had one of the lowest scoring offenses BECAUSE of the amount of targets Landry gets or because he is by default our #1 receiver?

if its the 1st one to that I say the Patriots of 2001 had the #6 scoring offense with Troy Brown as their primary target. I know Brady is Brady but I'd like to believe 2016 version of Ryan Tannehill if not better than 2001 Brady isn't that far off. I'd also like to believe besides OL the 2016 phins had better WR/HB/TE corp than the 2001 pats. Obviously Pats had better defense/coach/and OL thus a Super Bowl.

Also since we've had Landry and a healthy Thill our scoring offense has been #11, #27, and #17..2014 Wallace had 3 more targets than Landry, 2015 I would say is a wash as we had a coach change and Coordinator change in the middle of the year it was just a mess all the way through. 2016 without out all the fuss of 2015 we went back up to #17. 2017 could have been an upward trend with Thill in the lineup, maybe even a top 10 or right outside the top 10 offense.
I'm saying that as long as we keep running our offense thru Landry we will never be a high scoring power offense. I'm not blaming him. It's the coaching staftS who for some weird reason have decided to do that. I have explain many times before why I feel this way but on a nutshell, going thru him we need 12 to 14 play drives in order to score because he's not going to get you chunk yards. The problem with needing so many plays is that you have to be perfect most of the drive. When you have to run that many plays you'll have a bad pass or a drop or a sack or a penalty or a turnover.......so many times we're having a good drive and boom, something goes wrong and then drive dies. When you can go deep then you don't need so many plays and you can score more. Yes other teams have gone a few yards at a time but you need to be perfect like the 49ners were back in the 80's. That's the point I'm trying to make. You want to know why we have some many drives that don't end with a TD? Simple. Look who we're running our offense thru

Ozzy rules!!

10 million plus a year for a slot guy is absurd.

Doug Baldwin is a better player and he barely got 10 a year. I'd swap them 100% of the times if I could.

Juice is much more valuable than Baldwin, and it's not even close. Besides being more than 4 years younger, he's got better hands and is tougher too. Juice just needs to calm down sometimes. Once he learns how to do that, the sky is the limit. Juice still has HoF potential, that ship sailed for Baldwin a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom