The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them

Thanks Albert. Helps to put things into perspective.

I wouldn’t budge beyond 13 and if he wants it sweetened, do it in the guaranteed money.

I don’t know what I’d offer him in that case but maybe first two years fully guaranteed with a portion of the 3rd (say half?). That would be roughly 30mil. Is that enough? Or too much?

I think Jarvis target is like 14, my opinion is 30 m guaranteed is too much for my liking. This is why I think we have the impass.

The WR FA class isn't great and you could see a team like Cleveland knock it out of the park without batting an eye. I think the only way he stays is if franchised and that’s a big bite. Maybe they franchise and extends after but idk man.

The Steelers are great at not overpaying for a talented but not dominant WR. Each time they let someone go, the media says it is a mistake. Yet, they keep making the correct moves. Here in Miami, we lost Welker because we lowballed him. It wasn't very long ago that we failed to extend Miller and Vernon, and saw them become priced out of the market. I have a feeling Landry will be gone, but if he stays, it's almost guaranteed that we eat an albatross contract. The time to re-sign him was a season or two ago, when he was reasonably priced. Any decision we make now is going to be a bad choice.

Let's face it, our front office isn't the Steelers or Packers, and we don't keep our nucleus in tact very often. Although, that has changed somewhat in the Gase era.

I see your points but one thing you left out is Pitts ability to identify wr talent in the draft year after year. That makes it easier to let guys go

Mike T swings for Graham, especially if Landry leaves just watch. Although he is more a red zone target probably at this point but it’s a name so...
Depending upon cost, he could be a great get. At his size and athleticism he's still a seam mismatch in our division against any LB. While the Seahawks system doesn't utilize him, he would have a renaissance in Gase's system back home in Miami. But you're right, he isn't as fast, athletic or durable as he used to be.

Love that when it seems like we will lose Landry he is suddenly hated by all of FH. Give me a break. Guy plays his heart and soul every week for the Fins and wants to win. He is setting NFL records and always brings his 100% each game. But now fans hate him and want him gone?

The same thing happened with Welker, and we all know how that worked out. I understand people want to save money for other positions, but many of them also believe we will draft a replacement, which would be worse than paying him. You might save money, but you are wasting a draft pick on a position we already have the best player in the league at. We need those picks at DL, LB, OL, and TE. You want to save money, then don’t overpay for Suh and LB’s that can’t cover anyone. Let Wake walk and get rid of Parker. These are real moves that don’t require letting your best performer on offense go.

I see your points but one thing you left out is Pitts ability to identify wr talent in the draft year after year. That makes it easier to let guys go
You are absolutely right. By no means do we have that kind of eye for WR talent. But, we have done much better in that department lately. Consider, we go Landry when he was overlooked, and when we grabbed Parker he was clearly worth the pick and possibly the most talented WR in that draft ... but his injury issues have prevented him from reaching those heights. Then our savvy trade for Stills when he had no market looks quite good. Rarely do WR's move from one team/system to another and maintain the same level of success, so that makes the Stills move far more impressive than most people realize. And for a 6th round pick, Jakeem Grant looks pretty darn good to my eye.

We're getting better at identifying WR talent. OL Talent ... not so much. (Yes, I see Jesse Davis and Eric Smith, but we can't compare their talent level to Landry, Parker, Stills and Grant).

3, 6, 8, 6, 2, 10, 8.

Do you know what those numbers are? TD receptions by Julio Jones through the years. Never would I compare the two. Julio is top notch elite. But the TD argument with Landry is over after this season.

He produced 9 TD catches with piss poor QB play.

16.4 to 8.8

Do you know what those numbers are? YPC between Julio and Jarvis and that's with Julio demanding bracketed coverage almost every play.

Feels like a lot of people are doing the sour grapes thing. He’s our best WR and it isn’t even close - catching, running, blocking, ST value - none of the other guys can do all of these things as well in one package. Need to keep him.

Its funny - If Jakeem Grant got 100 passes thrown to him this season, how many TDs do you think he would have?

Landry had 112 catches for 987 yards and a 9 TDS for a 8.8 yard YPC average.

Grant had 13 catches for 203 yards and 65 yards and 2 TDS for a 15.6 average.

101 more catches for Landry yet only 7 more TDS. Our offense revolves around a prima donna slot receiver that is limited in the routes he runs. Sounds like the key to a successful offense.
I agree with you but playing devils advocate, the additional 101 catches and 7 TDs equates to a TD every 14 catches (every game and a half or so), not a bad average, although Grant still had the better average TD per catch.

Feels like a lot of people are doing the sour grapes thing. He’s our best WR and it isn’t even close - catching, running, blocking, ST value - none of the other guys can do all of these things as well in one package. Need to keep him.
And if he wants 15 million and half the stadium? Give it to him. God forbid we be without our slot receiver this year. There goes the Super Bowl run.

3, 6, 8, 6, 2, 10, 8.

Do you know what those numbers are? TD receptions by Julio Jones through the years. Never would I compare the two. Julio is top notch elite. But the TD argument with Landry is over after this season.

He produced 9 TD catches with piss poor QB play.
One receiver can do it all,a Great balanced WR, this is reflected in the fact that he has 21 TDs from the red zone and 23 TDs outside the red zone
The other one plays in a 10 yard box, this is reflected in the fact that he has 19TDs in the red zone and 3 TDs outside of the red zone

Being a red zone threat is a good thing, and while Landry was very good there this year, his 9 TDs came at the expense of the running game that only yield 4 rushing TDs...
  • 2017 offense, force feeding Landry, netted 31 total TDs...
  • 2016 offense, balanced, netted 41total TDs...
  • No matter what the reasons are, coaching, QBing... you name it, it doesnt matter, his red zone production CAN be replaced, as it was in 2016...
There is this trend were the less we target Landry. the more TDs overall the offense scores... The sample size his minuscule so take this with a grain of salt. But it's still interresting that both seasons Landry was tops of the league in targets, were the 2 worst scoring outputs by the offense...

• 2017: 161 targets, offense total TDs: 31
  • 2016: 131 targets, offense total TDs: 41
  • 2015: 166 targets, offense total TDs: 35
  • 2014: 112 targets, offense total TDs: 39

16.4 to 8.8

Do you know what those numbers are? YPC between Julio and Jarvis and that's with Julio demanding bracketed coverage almost every play.
I am talking strictly touchdown production, which was the biggest knock on Landry by Dolphins fans prior to this season. Clearly stated that Julio is without a doubt in a class above. It helps, however, to have an elite QB throwing you the football vs. the absolute trash we had at QB (Cutler AND Moore).

I'm curious what Landry's YPC was with Tannehill at QB last season before he went down. His overall 12.1 YPC is fine for a "slot receiver" -- it's difficult for me to take WR numbers too seriously with atrocious QB play.

10 million plus a year for a slot guy is absurd.

Doug Baldwin is a better player and he barely got 10 a year. I'd swap them 100% of the times if I could.

Back
Top Bottom