The Draft Network - Fins Mock | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Draft Network - Fins Mock

Or defense may go fast high up and drop OL to the second.

It is what it is if they end up going tackle at 1. I'm standing behind any choice these guys make.

A QB that can get rid of the ball quickly can go a long way to disguising OL. Play calling can do the same. How do you disguise a bad defensive line?

Sounds like Gase's philosophy on offensive guards.

I disagree about the offensive line approach. Don't need to go the Dallas route on building the line, but there needs to be a real effort this rebuild on getting quality guys there instead of going cheap and expecting the scheme or QB to work around it.

Sounds like Gase's philosophy on offensive guards.

I disagree about the offensive line approach. Don't need to go the Dallas route on building the line, but there needs to be a real effort this rebuild on getting quality guys there instead of going cheap and expecting the scheme or QB to work around it.

Wouldn't call taking OL in the second and/or third cheap help. A good FO can find solid OL in the mid rounds,

Way to many defensive players I'd draft before OT at 13, heck we dont even know if one of the 3 QB's will be there.

QB plan a
Trade down plan b
Edge plan c
OL plan d

If we are not talking about principles (ie. BPA or player with the highest ceiling) then this is pretty much on the right lines, I would however perhaps put DB and DT ahead of OL because I do believe you can still get that OL help you need further down in this draft . My target for example is Chuma Edoga and I don't believe you have to take him at 13.

To the people crapping on this pick and saying it's the same old Dolphins....it's only the same old Dolphins if we draft Williams and then he sucks.

If Jonah Williams is gonna be an elite right tackle, I see nothing wrong with drafting him in the first.

The truth is this team is ****ing up by not signing some mid level guys to both the offensive and defensive line. Unless they think they are going to be as good as New England at drafting... Guess they havent heard of good ol' Chris Grier and his propensity for picks like Dion Jordan and Charles Harris.

Most people would agree that the most important units on the team are Oline and Dline, yes? Therefore, I would argue that drafting one of those is precisely the definition of a "difference maker". You're supposed to build your team from the inside out so I completely disagree with the notion that you should skimp on lineman because you "could find good right tackles on day 2 regularly". You're essentially saying an offensive lineman is less important than a linebacker or a #2 corner.

You'd rather have a DE than RT? I'm fine with that, but let's not pretend like RTs are somewhere in the bottom half of important positions here.

Also for the people who aren't really thinking about a possible tanking effort, you might also want to factor in that if the eventual goal is Tua, who is left handed, that RT should be just as important as finding a franchise LT.

Based on the importance of the front lines that you make in your argument, does this mean that we should draft 8 or 9 linemen for every QB we draft?

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but to raise the following critical question:
What should be the ratio of drafting QB's compared to Offensive & Defensive linemen?

Based on the importance of the front lines that you make in your argument, does this mean that we should draft 8 or 9 linemen for every QB we draft?

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but to raise the following critical question:
What should be the ratio of drafting QB's compared to Offensive & Defensive linemen?

I'd say every other year, but if a your in between year comes by and and there's a home run type QB in Rnd 1 or 2 and you're not ready, you jump on it and skip 2 years etc.

We definitely screwed up skipping the QB situation since 2014.

Usually I can support investment into the OL, but this year I don't think it makes as much sense. We need DL too, and the good pass rushers will go early, and the DL that fit our multiple scheme will not last all that long. In contrast, there will be good OL prospects in every round, with legitimate starting RT candidates around even late. This is the year to load up on OL in the middle rounds, IMHO. We have a lot of holes.

The truth is this team is ****ing up by not signing some mid level guys to both the offensive and defensive line.

100%. They have thee money and there is no need to wait for the draft. Justin Houston, Jamie Collins, Bennie Logan etc. They can fix the Dline at least.

They have not moved up for a QB, they have not fixed a single thing in FA. It's unbelievable.

Good question @Ray R ! It's probably a lot tougher to answer than it looks on the surface though. Don't forget to factor in usage. QB's have much longer careers than OL or DL, and rarely is a QB rotated, but DL are regularly rotated. OL's makes up 5 starting spots vs. 1 for QB's and a variable number for DL's using multiple fronts like ours. Then there is the replacement rate, as good QB's are rarely let go, but good OL are let go all the time in FA. Done correctly this analysis would have a lot of variables.

It's a mock draft...perhaps who we want is off the board prior to 13...I did a mock before with this same pick b/c the people I would target (without trades) were already gone...
I think we all know what the real reason is …. the person making the mock draft isn't really a Dolphins fan (is anyone in the media?), barely knows anything about us, read we lost our RT, and wanted to mock Jonah Williams in the top half of the first round, so he just stuck the unsexy draft pick (OL) with the team with the low fanbase (Miami) because of decades of mediocrity has made us irrelevant to the media types.

We're all overthinking it because we want to act like it was a genuine informed choice, but in reality, the writer probably didn't give a shiz about us and just plugged it in to keep the sexier picks for larger fanbases to generate maximum clicks. Blech.

I think we all know what the real reason is …. the person making the mock draft isn't really a Dolphins fan (is anyone in the media?), barely knows anything about us, read we lost our RT, and wanted to mock Jonah Williams in the top half of the first round, so he just stuck the unsexy draft pick (OL) with the team with the low fanbase (Miami) because of decades of mediocrity has made us irrelevant to the media types.

We're all overthinking it because we want to act like it was a genuine informed choice, but in reality, the writer probably didn't give a shiz about us and just plugged it in to keep the sexier picks for larger fanbases to generate maximum clicks. Blech.
you might be on to something here bro. We do get too hyper about who's mock to us and who's not. The fact is we don't know who the FO is targeting other than I've heard many times they want to build from the inside out and starting up front.

Ones who can stuff the double team or get to the QB? Absolutely.
Defense in today's ruleset has changed fundamentally. It's not really about dominating and 3-and-outs. Today it's about generating a good set of 3 downs to stop the opposing offense before they score a TD, or generating a turnover.

Defenses can't regularly dominate the way they used to in a run-first league. With the rules changing to make it so much easier for the offense (protecting the QB from hits, disallowing DB's from using their hands downfield, etc.) it is a lot easier to pass, and offenses are scoring more. Defenses can't regularly shut teams down. Sure, a few teams for a few games, definitely. But on a league-wide level no. No defense can shut down EVERY team in the NFL anymore, because the variety is too great. For instance, if they have the team speed to clamp down on short passing games, they're vulnerable to the Harbaugh-esque power pig football and deep ball.

So, it's not about the DL playing every play, it's about having those elite DL who can generate enough of those impact plays so that you cause a lot of the takeaways and sets of 3 downs worth of impact plays to prevent TD's. OL is about consistency these days … the OL is expected to win consistently and is graded on how often they are inconsistent. The DL is expected to lose, and is graded on how many exceptional plays they can make an impact.

Back
Top Bottom