The Draft Network - Fins Mock | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Draft Network - Fins Mock

you might be on to something here bro. We do get too hyper about who's mock to us and who's not. The fact is we don't know who the FO is targeting other than I've heard many times they want to build from the inside out and starting up front.
Excellent point, and this is the season of smokescreens, so any new information coming out has a good chance of being disinformation.

Because we’re filling the hole left by letting our competent right tackle leave by using a first round pick to replace him. That’s the definition is spinning your tires in the mud.
not really. you're replacing a guy who became the highest paid right tackle with a guy who could be better and playing on a rookie contract. NFL teams do this all the time.

Most people would agree that the most important units on the team are Oline and Dline, yes? Therefore, I would argue that drafting one of those is precisely the definition of a "difference maker". You're supposed to build your team from the inside out so I completely disagree with the notion that you should skimp on lineman because you "could find good right tackles on day 2 regularly". You're essentially saying an offensive lineman is less important than a linebacker or a #2 corner.

You'd rather have a DE than RT? I'm fine with that, but let's not pretend like RTs are somewhere in the bottom half of important positions here.

Also for the people who aren't really thinking about a possible tanking effort, you might also want to factor in that if the eventual goal is Tua, who is left handed, that RT should be just as important as finding a franchise LT.

Don’t misconstrue my words. I said other teams find RTs on day 2, I didn’t say anything about myself, Miami, or this draft specifically.

But if you’re willing to bypass a game-changing defender in favor of a RT that will be marginally better than one on day 2, I guess that’s a matter of opinion. But that’s what Miami has done for the last 10 years and it clearly hasn’t worked.

We should have kept James, but that was mismanaged. Now we’re stuck with a glaring hole on our OL and the prospect of a left-handed QB next season might force the team to burn a high pick on a position that was settled. This is at a time when our defense is Swiss cheese, our interior OL is in shambles, and we have no QB.

If BPA at 13 is a RT, I’m always a proponent of taking BPA. But then people don’t get to whine and cry when a DE or LB we passed on is in consideration for DROY and we’re watching Fitzpatrick lead us to a 4-12 record, because despite how well that RT plays, it isn’t as impactful a position as WR, DE, DT, or CB.

I wouldn't have an issue if Miami is holding off until 2020 to go after their franchise QB. And if Tua is the main target (meaning Miami is playing to win the fewest games) then a legit RT makes sense. Although this is a defensive heavy draft at the top most of the blue chip talent will have been drafted by pick 13.

OL generally need at least a year to develop and would rather have a RT with a year of experience protecting QBs blindside, assuming it is Tua, than a rookie or paying $$$$ on a FA in the off season.

I think Miami could get more bang for their buck on DL in free agency in 2020 than spending it on the OL. The average amount per team being spent on the OL is $34.7 million and $27.3 on DL as it stands right now. So if Miami can get a legit RT under a rookie contract all the better.

And I'm not attached to Miami drafting an OL with 1st round pick, I can see the logic in it.

And how great was our linebacker play last year? DL ties up blockers from getting to the second level.

Our CBs were also ripped to shreds because we couldn't get pressure with our front four and the ever frustrating Burke would never blitz.

You're point of view while very solid leaves us drafting a body at 13 instead of someone who can single-handedly make an impact in the game.

And you are drafting OL in a very strong defensive draft. If thats not like the Dolphins, nothing is.
I didn't say our linebacker play was great. You implied that you couldn't cover up for a bad defensive line and I gave you examples of how you could.

I'm not against drafting Dline at 13 as I know this draft is loaded at DT. I'm just against the idea that we are going to purposely pass on a good Olineman if he's there and pick a lesser Dlineman just because Oline is considered a lesser position.

Don't get it twisted. I would absolutely draft a stud DT at 13 if he's there over a "pretty good" RT, but if all things were equal I'd take the RT just because of the added value you get out of snap counts.

Good question @Ray R ! It's probably a lot tougher to answer than it looks on the surface though. Don't forget to factor in usage. QB's have much longer careers than OL or DL, and rarely is a QB rotated, but DL are regularly rotated. OL's makes up 5 starting spots vs. 1 for QB's and a variable number for DL's using multiple fronts like ours. Then there is the replacement rate, as good QB's are rarely let go, but good OL are let go all the time in FA. Done correctly this analysis would have a lot of variables.

I agree, but I'm also looking for other variables I have not considered.

That's why I left it an open question.

And would your solution to keep right tackle off the list of needs be to have made Ju'Wuan James the highest paid right tackle in the league? Because if not then regardless of what you're doing, you still need to replace him with somebody competent.

Offensive line is important. There's no "mourning" period that dictates that you must use lesser resources to replace a guy you just lost. Overpaying someone because you're scared of losing him is actually what will keep you spinning your tires in the mud.

Don't bother arguing with him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. #qBWiNZ

That is a disastrous draft. Jonah Williams is a LT and we do not need a LT. And Jonah was not even elite at LT in college. Bama struggled to find him a spot. Way too rich for first round, and just completely wrong for any round.
Michael Dieter projection to guard from LT is way too rich for any round!

The best pick in that draft is Charles Ozigbo, RB, who is actually elite.

The Dolphins need a QB. They need a RT, not Jonah Williams and not Michael Dieter. And they need KEY COGS on Defense.
Charles Omenihu is not a key cog. Daniel Wise is not a key cog. Decent players just WON'T do.

Bad draft.

I believe Kiper has Miami mocked up to draft QB Lock at 13, so the truth is there is no reason getting worked up over nothing more than wild guesses. If there is a realistic shot at a QB that they believe in, that is where the pick should go, if not, than it absolutely should be BPA. This team has enough weaknesses that BPA is the only way to go.

I believe football is won in the trenches and believe OL has been Miami’s biggest issue for nearly a decade now. Still, that doesn’t mean overreaching on need is proper at all. Especially with the leeway the new staff has, go BPA until a strong core is established, then start looking at BPA at positions of need.

This rebuild is going to be a long and arduous task and will likely take 3 years worth of drafts before actually being competitive by year 4. There is absolutely zero pressure or reason to reach at any one position.

Anybody that’s planning on drafting a left handed QB... likes it has good probability...is an idiot.
Meant that tongue-in-cheek, although Tua is likely one of a few quarterbacks Miami would like to have from the 2020 draft.

I think we all know what the real reason is …. the person making the mock draft isn't really a Dolphins fan (is anyone in the media?), barely knows anything about us, read we lost our RT, and wanted to mock Jonah Williams in the top half of the first round, so he just stuck the unsexy draft pick (OL) with the team with the low fanbase (Miami) because of decades of mediocrity has made us irrelevant to the media types.

We're all overthinking it because we want to act like it was a genuine informed choice, but in reality, the writer probably didn't give a shiz about us and just plugged it in to keep the sexier picks for larger fanbases to generate maximum clicks. Blech.
So remember it, hold onto it, and enjoy it when the ship turns around...as far as the pick goes, I'd rather take OL instead of a QB in desperation. If Lock or Haskins is there at 13, then maybe, but this isn't the same as Matt Ryan and Jake Long. I was screaming for us to take Ryan but we went with Long...

So remember it, hold onto it, and enjoy it when the ship turns around...as far as the pick goes, I'd rather take OL instead of a QB in desperation. If Lock or Haskins is there at 13, then maybe, but this isn't the same as Matt Ryan and Jake Long. I was screaming for us to take Ryan but we went with Long...

I like Lock better coming out than Ryan.

Back
Top Bottom