the elephant in the room | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the elephant in the room

There ARE tackles who have been drafted past round one that have been successful and even a few HOFers. I know the odds are better for round one but we can't get everyone in round one. Some players have to come from other rounds...
True, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that there are 3 or 4 highly rated tackles this draft, and that is not always the case.

Most that are drafted later take some time to develop. We really need a day 1 starter.

We have to get an Offensive Lineman somewhere in round 1. Don't let the past dictate your future in regards to previous regimes success or failures. We aren't that same team or the front office from years past. This is a new path that started out the right way with a massive teardown. Now let's build the trenches and start working our way out. Let's get it!, 9 days feels like 9 years left. New material coming soon.....

Last edited:
Well we might as well talk about it. Can Miami get away without drafting an offensive tackle in round 1 and potentially use the later rounds to fill a glaring need?
After first round picks on Long, Pouncey, James and Tunsil ,and Grier in some front office capacity on the termination of 3 of those, could the strategy be to wait until after round 1 and could that pay off?

The obvious answer is 'yes,' that could be the strategy and it could pay off. To your defense, just because most here want a QB early and a OLman early, doesn't mean Miami has to draft that way.

That said, I won't be surprised if Miami moves up a little in R1 for OL. I'm reasonably confident Miami will take OL in one of the 1st 4 picks. I expect 2 OLmen in Miami's possession by end of day 2. I doubt many will disagree. But, that doesn't mean your scenario is impossible.

True, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that there are 3 or 4 highly rated tackles this draft, and that is not always the case.

Most that are drafted later take some time to develop. We really need a day 1 starter.
Right but isn't an OT at 18 or 26 plus Karras plus Flowers plus a G or Ot in round two already a massive improvement to the OL for one year? We relegate the starters at those positions as backups and we go OT with one of our first rounders next year?

We're not going to suddenly have a perfect roster after one off season. What we can't do is pass on BPA at all of our need positions so we can have gotten two first round OTs. Let's see who is available and then make good decisions. It might be suddenly someone amazing at RB, S, DE or WR is just sitting there to be plucked.

Come ON now!

The first round is for Quarterbacks and Wide Receivers.

Everyone knows that!

TUA!
TUA!!
TUA!!!!! :p

Right but isn't an OT at 18 or 26 plus Karras plus Flowers plus a G or Ot in round two already a massive improvement to the OL for one year? We relegate the starters at those positions as backups and we go OT with one of our first rounders next year?

We're not going to suddenly have a perfect roster after one off season. What we can't do is pass on BPA at all of our need positions so we can have gotten two first round OTs. Let's see who is available and then make good decisions. It might be suddenly someone amazing at RB, S, DE or WR is just sitting there to be plucked.
I agree. I wasn't suggesting two rd1 tackles, but I think it would be a mistake to not get 1.

this is a great post. do we over-reach at Oline at 18, or do we wait for the draft to come to us?
we have some many holes, any position can be justified

I think there will definitely be some trading in round 1 and it will result in a tackle. It could even be a trade down to snag one of value(Maybe down from 18 a couple of spots and we snag the T from Houston)
I would then love to see a RT (Wilson from Georgia) in Round 2. Or maybe Niang, but I like the Georgia one.
No more d**king around with the line. We have all these picks, use them for high value positions.
RB can wait till end of the 2nd or even the 3rd.

I agree. I wasn't suggesting two rd1 tackles, but I think it would be a mistake to not get 1.
Sorry I maybe misread brother. Cool, that way we can do all kind of things. Take a RB, WR, DE, S at that other pick. I don't agree with all of those who instantly spurn an RB in round one. We need to snag one and START the run on RBS not wait until it starts and grab the bronze medal. Who knows? Maybe the Round on T's goes deeper than we though pushing one of the top WRs into being there waiting for us.

When I read the title, Elephant in the Room, i really thought it was going to be about the potential of the Dolphins trading up in the draft...... only to pass on Tua and take Herbert.

Makes my hair stand up just thinking about it. I would cry.

When I read the title, Elephant in the Room, i really thought it was going to be about the potential of the Dolphins trading up in the draft...... only to pass on Tua and take Herbert.

Makes my hair stand up just thinking about it. I would cry.
I'll need a new TV as mine will be floating in the pool at that point (what's left of it that is)
Rage at work (angry garbage man revenge)

Sorry I maybe misread brother. Cool, that way we can do all kind of things. Take a RB, WR, DE, S at that other pick. I don't agree with all of those who instantly spurn an RB in round one. We need to snag one and START the run on RBS not wait until it starts and grab the bronze medal. Who knows? Maybe the Round on T's goes deeper than we though pushing one of the top WRs into being there waiting for us.

I'd be elated if we took Dobbins at #26. Pair him up with Howard and let guys like Gaskin, Laird and insert another rookie RB name here to fight it out in camp. Down to brass tacks I'm not anti- RB in the first round. We need a playmaker in the backfield, potentially could have our pick of the litter at #26.

Back
Top Bottom