the elephant in the room | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the elephant in the room

To many draft picks. WTF, have you seen our roster..

Yes. I see a roster with 78 players on it, which already has solid depth at most positions, the problem is the starters. We wouldn’t even be able to fit all 14 draft picks without going over the 90 man roster, and that’s not factoring in undrafted free agents. And using logic, it’s unreasonable to expect 14 draft picks to make the roster.

Instead of using 7 picks in rounds 5-7, trying to upgrade depth unnecessarily, why not use a couple of them to try and improve the starters we are drafting?

I’d rather move up for someone like Wirfs or Wills to play LT, as opposed to waiting for someone like Josh Jones, because we had to save those late rounders to fill out our practice squad

Yes. I see a roster with 78 players on it, which already has solid depth at most positions, the problem is the starters. We wouldn’t even be able to fit all 14 draft picks without going over the 90 man roster, and that’s not factoring in undrafted free agents. And using logic, it’s unreasonable to expect 14 draft picks to make the roster.

Instead of using 7 picks in rounds 5-7, trying to upgrade depth unnecessarily, why not use a couple of them to try and improve the starters we are drafting?

I’d rather move up for someone like Wirfs or Wills to play LT, as opposed to waiting for someone like Josh Jones, because we had to save those late rounders to fill out our practice squad
I agree in theory, but teams aren't going to be clamoring for our rd6 and rd7 picks.

Rd5s have more value for trading, but after that it's just "throw in" picks.

Definitely. I said it yesterday in another post. We have too many draft picks. The later round picks can be packaged to do a lot of moving. I highly doubt that all three of 5, 18, and 26 belonged to Miami at the end of day 1
I wish they had 3 picks in each round. Perhaps the Chiefs and the other playoff teams don’t need 14 picks but the Dolphins need to add as many new players to the roster as they can. Right now they only have about 20 players on their roster who would even make the roster of the better teams in the league.

If you think the Phins have added enough to compete for that new playoff spot, then I think you want to draft a tackle in round 1 as it is the weakest spot on the roster imo. If you think the team isn't ready yet, then they should draft for value and worry more about needs next year. I tend to fall in the latter camp.

If you think the Phins have added enough to compete for that new playoff spot, then I think you want to draft a tackle in round 1 as it is the weakest spot on the roster imo. If you think the team isn't ready yet, then they should draft for value and worry more about needs next year. I tend to fall in the latter camp.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

BPA is, to some extent, nebulous at best. Particularly when you are comparing vastly different positions.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

BPA is, to some extent, nebulous at best. Particularly when you are comparing vastly different positions.

True but in the present situation, it seems likely that there will be higher value prospects available at #18 than the likes of Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, and Isaiah Wilson. Maybe even at #26 too.

I agree in theory, but teams aren't going to be clamoring for our rd6 and rd7 picks.

Rd5s have more value for trading, but after that it's just "throw in" picks.
Agreed Mach. Sure, there have been great players to stem from the later rounds after 5 however, it's pretty uncommon.

We should take this elephant and throw a helmet and pads on him and trot him out at Tackle. No one would get to the QB ever again.

We could pay him peanuts and he'd be thrilled.

And I make a motion we stop holding our team meetings in a zoo.

I'm going to repeat here what I've said for years and the last few months over and over:

Chris Grier has *proven* and has a very strong and consistent track record for NOT being able to identify OL talent.

This is what scares me. Yeah, apparently our scouting department is better now. Yeah, we have better executives than before. I truly hope and pray those guys are great at evaluating OL as this has been a huge issue with Miami for TWO DECADES.

You can't name anyone outside of Samson Satele who was drafted outside of the 1st round and had a decent career. I can think of a couple guys, like John Jerry and Rex Hadnot who moved on and had *okay* careers after they left... but no one outside of 1st round picks has been decent nor were able to develop into anything. This is over TWO DECADES. And that scares me.

We need at least one first round OL pick and we need to *finally* hit on at least ONE OL PLAYER outside of the first day for once jesus ****ing christ.

I'm going to repeat here what I've said for years and the last few months over and over:

Chris Grier has *proven* and has a very strong and consistent track record for NOT being able to identify OL talent.

This is what scares me. Yeah, apparently our scouting department is better now. Yeah, we have better executives than before. I truly hope and pray those guys are great at evaluating OL as this has been a huge issue with Miami for TWO DECADES.

You can't name anyone outside of Samson Satele who was drafted outside of the 1st round and had a decent career. I can think of a couple guys, like John Jerry and Rex Hadnot who moved on and had *okay* careers after they left... but no one outside of 1st round picks has been decent nor were able to develop into anything. This is over TWO DECADES. And that scares me.

We need at least one first round OL pick and we need to *finally* hit on at least ONE OL PLAYER outside of the first day for once jesus ****ing christ.
And you’re being kind in saying Jerry and Hadnot had decent careers after they left. Very kind. We’ve only hit on 1st round OL for some reason.

We did let 2 good tackles go, but it was the right decision in both cases, IMHO.
It was the exact correct decision in both cases but it still means they need to be replaced. We can't compete in the NFL with Davis and Davenport at the Tackle spots. Plus, whoever our new QB is, it would be nice if he didn't get killed back there like we allowed Tannehill to be killed. We also need to totally redo the run game. We need a new stud RB really badly. I love the kid from LSU, Clyde Edward Heliare. I rewatched the Bama vs. LSU game and it was a great game and really physical. CEH was fantastic the whole game both running and making great catches. I haven't seen better hands on a RB in a while. He reminds me of a stronger version of Darren Sproles. He's a can't miss prospect. I'd pick that kid in a heartbeat, probably could be had in round 2. If we stayed at #5 and got our QB, then snagged a tackle at 18 Helaire could be a super investment at #26. What a shot in the arm for our offense.

Back
Top Bottom