The Elite Discussion | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Elite Discussion

I agree, he is a great talent, but Bill is far more important top that teams success.

Can't wait to find out when Brady retires!

I've literally been waiting my whole life, Tom and NE's time is coming to an end soon imo, we shall see.

It all depends on the position. An elite QB masks a lot.

Lol, no. How good was Belichek with the Browns. Players are the important part.

I've answered this many times.

'94 Browns HC Belichick went 11-5 with two QB's, Testeverde (31) and Rypien (32) along with Nick Saban and they also beat the Patriots in their first match-up of the playoffs, but lost to the Steelers in the next round. The significance of the Steelers loss? It was the third time they had lost to Pittsburgh that season.

Steelers OC was the famed Ron Erhardt, who along with Ray Perkins, developed the Erhardt-Perkins (E&P) offense which is one of three offenses that essentially all NFL offenses are based off of along with the WCO and Air Coryell. Steelers posed a threat offensively that year to all teams being that were balanced in their ability to run (#1) and throw especially from one back sets. Side note: the Steelers also had the #1 defense lead by DC Dom Capers, DAsst Bill Davis, LB coach Marvin Lewis, and DB coach **** LeBeau.

Pittsburgh would run 4 streaks along with 2 streaks & 2 outs to defeat Cleveland's Cover 3. Because you can't play the Cover 3 vs those routes, later the Browns switched it up to a Cover 1. The problem then lied with the Steeler's offensive talent that exceeded that of Cleveland's by their ability to beat them one-on-one. Also the Cover 1 is ineffective vs the run when you can't play 8 in the box b/c of a legitimate passing game and your defenders are spread out vs single back sets.

Solution, to somehow play a blend of Cover 3 and Cover 1. Now comes the melding of two incredibly intelligent minds in Belichick and Saban and with a collaboration between the two, and the concept of pattern-match defense was born. Although this concept was not installed in Cleveland, as Saban left for Michigan St. and Belichick would soon be fired the following year before being hired in NE, it thrives to this day among the brighter defensive minds in football and is the defense that both, Belichick and Saban, have used on their multiple championship teams.

This pattern-matching adjustment, better known as Rip/Liz in the mid-90's, brought together the zone and man-to-man defense into one concept. Pattern-matching has zone defenders play man-to-man after receivers have shown their pass patterns, which the defenders typically pick up 5-7 yards downfield.

The reasoning behind this is that when offenses - like the '94 Steelers - want to attack a 3-deep zone they'll run TE's or slot WR's down the seams and to defeat Cover 1 they'll run picks and crossing routes. To defend this, the S's and LB's read the movements of of the Slot and the TE. When they run vertical, the .05 defenders and LB's run vertical with them, but if those receivers break outside then the defenders react with a zone and drop into coverage. In addition, the defense can add an extra defender in the box for the run or to spy the QB, which has also become a crucial factor in defending today's mobile QB's, spread offense, and the read option.

Also what must be taken into account are the circumstances ("The Move") that followed Bilichick's 11-5 1994 season in Cleveland. In 1995 Sports Illustrated predicted the Browns would represent the AFC in Super Bowl XXX and they started the season 3–1. Soon after Art Modell swindled the Browns from Cleveland and decided to move them mid-season. It was a decision that immediately crippled the the team, staff, their focus, their attitude, and they fell to 5-11.

Maybe.

Shula was an elite coach. But after 1973 he never had the success of the early 70s, despite being an elite coach with a few elite players. I don't know how much of a voice he had in acquisitions, but we didn't exactly knock it out of the park for many years.

Shula was a motivator, a great motivator, but he was not much in the realm of an X&0 coach or innovator. Besides the moment Marino burst onto the screen much of his success as a Dolphin HC came b/c of the defensive innovations of Bill Arsnparger.

Whether some will admit it or not, the fact that he stuck with Olivadotti, and for so long, is a knock on his coaching resume.

Last edited:
Bobby Beathard, that is all. Both Shula and Gibbs owe a lot to that man, but he never gets the credit he deserves for his incredible eye for talent. Too bad, he was elite and had a lot to do with both Washington and Miami's team success. Coaching is not everything, elite player evaluation on the other hand kind of is. The one year NE lost Brady they didn't even make the playoffs, players get you over the top, coaching just helps them get there.

Look at you trying to sell BS. NE still went 11-5 without Brady and were the first team to ever miss the playoffs following the postseason expansion. Read that again, 11-5. BTW, they are 16-6 in total without Brady.

We went 10-6 last season and fans had to change their underwear and wore their pants on their heads they were so excited.

Don't need to have 4 or 5 elite players in baseball to win a series. If we apply that logic to football you would need 11 elite players and we know from reality that isn't ever going to happen.

Balance wins. You have to have one elite aspect of your game. The offense or defense needs to be elite and then the rest of the team needs to be good. Four areas of grading:

Offense
Defense
Special teams (or depth)
Coaching

On area needs to be elite and one needs to be good and the other two can be average. I can make the case the defense is more important but that's not this discussion so I'll abstain from that avenue.

Look at New England.

Offense: Elite
Defense: Good to average
Special Teams: Good to Elite
Coaching: Elite

Equals dynasty and balance as a team.

It's all about balance.

The good 'ol debate about who is more important between coaches and players. It's an interesting topic IMO b/c I don't think there's a clear answer.

Belichick: 5 rings. He has Tom Brady.

I don't pay attention to other major sports and they are all vastly different from football team-wise so I won't comment on them, but I ask: Who made Brady and taught him everything he knows?

Yes, Brady is an elite QB, but if it wasn't for Brady, Belichick would have found success with another QB that encompasses his traits of leadership, work ethic, and intelligence

Look at you trying to sell BS. NE still went 11-5 without Brady and were the first team to ever miss the playoffs following the postseason expansion. Read that again, 11-5. BTW, they are 16-6 in total without Brady.

We went 10-6 last season and fans had to change their underwear and wore their pants on their heads they were so excited.

You mean by stating a fact that the only time NE lost Brady they didn't make the playoffs? Since when are facts B.S, lmao. They went 11-5 because they had a weak schedule, just like us. How else do you think fist pump and noodle arm made it to the playoffs, only to get crushed by Baltimore? You may not understand how vital TB12 is to NE, but some people do.

You mean by stating a fact that the only time NE lost Brady they didn't make the playoffs, lmao. They went 11-5 because they had a weak schedule, just like us. How else do you think fist pump and noodle arm made it to the playoffs, only to get crushed by Baltimore? You may not understand how vital TB12 is to NE, but some people do.

The Sparano led Dolphins made the playoffs with an offensive gimmick and a top 10 defense and the #1 takeaway/giveaway ration in the NFL. The last two factors and crucial to any team's success.

Stating the Patriots missed the playoffs that season is irrelevant as they still won 11 games w/ Matt Cassell.

As I said earlier in the thread: Brady is an elite QB, but if it wasn't for Brady, Belichick would have found success with another QB that encompasses his traits of leadership, work ethic, and intelligence. Much like what he is doing now with Garappolo and did with Cassell.

The Sparano led Dolphins made the playoffs with an offensive gimmick and a top 10 defense and the #1 takeaway/giveaway ration in the NFL. The last two factors and crucial to any team's success.

Stating the Patriots missed the playoffs that season is irrelevant as they still won 11 games w/ Matt Cassell.

As I said earlier in the thread: Brady is an elite QB, but if it wasn't for Brady, Belichick would have found success with another QB that encompasses his traits of leadership, work ethic, and intelligence. Much like what he is doing now with Garappolo and did with Cassell.

That's quite the stretch, I disagree he would have had the same level of success. But considering Belichick's legendary head coaching career completely turned around for the better as soon as Brady came in, says a lot about the talent of Brady. I used to always say when Manning was in his prime that Brady was still the smarter, better QB. As great as Peyton was, I think Brady has proved me right over time although that's obviously just my opinion.

That's quite the stretch, I disagree. But considering Belichick's legendary head coaching career completely turned around for the better as soon as Brady came in, says a lot about the talent of Brady. I used to always say when Manning was in his prime that Brady was still the smarter, better QB. As great as Peyton was, I think TB12 has proved me right over time although that's obviously just my opinion.

Well, we agree on one thing.

Belichick was just beginning to turn around Cleveland when Modell sold off the franchise the very next season and had just developed the most substantial and successful pass coverage concepts that are still used today.

Brady was coddled early in his career scheme-wise, Manning never needed such accommodations.

Well, we agree on one thing.

Belichick was just beginning to turn around Cleveland when Modell sold off the franchise the very net season.

Brady was coddled early in his career scheme-wise, Manning never needed such accommodations.

And Manning beat a pathetic Grossman led Bears team (should have been Orton) and threw about 3 passes against Carolina, while Brady is largely responsible for the greatest comeback in NFL history and has 5 rings. There's a reason Brady plays so well in the clutch and Manning did not, Brady is the better QB. NE and BB will take a huge step back without him.

And Manning beat a pathetic Grossman led Bears team (should have been Orton) and threw about 3 passes against Carolina, while Brady is largely responsible for the greatest comeback in NFL history. There's a reason Brady plays so well in the clutch and Manning did not, Brady is the better QB. NE and BB will take a huge step back without him.

Yikes. Why would you confirm that you have absolutely no idea what a QB does beyond a box score?

Yikes. Why would you confirm that you have absolutely no idea what a QB does beyond a box score?

Lol, Brady > Manning. You are wrong. Orton was better than Grossman too, Lovie was wrong and I knew it back then too.

Back
Top Bottom