The first round at this time. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The first round at this time.

Unless someone fabulous is still available at 20....trade down and get 2 solid guys instead of one solid guy. There are going to be some steals in the 2nd round....

BigFinFan said:
Just say NO to a WR in the first round!

:fire:

Thank you. You see, I forgot my glasses at home, and was trying to read my computer screen from 20 feet away.

minus said:
Clayton over Lee Evans?

Lee Evans will be off the board before Clayton.

It sure looks that way. Evans' stock is skyrocketing. Clayton will be lucky to go in round 1 at this point.

I also don't see the Vikes taking Andrews. Yeah, I saw the other post about their interest in Carey. I'm not impressed. That defense is in urgent need of help. I would be VERY surprised if they don't take a defender in round 1. Any defender will do. DE, DT, LB, CB, S, it doesn't matter, they need help just about everywhere.

So I can get a better understanding...

KBISBACK said:
A wide receiver will give the team the most impact in the first round.

why should we go WR in round 1 when we have two solid starters and tons of depth at Wr. Are we ready to write off Simmons, Tolver, Newson, Thompson, Morris, Bellamy, Davis or Minnis? Wanny and Collier have said that we are only going to use two receiver sets most of the time. I don't agree with that mentality, but never-the-less it means we don't need another #1 type Wr, not when we have so many needs elsewhere. Wouldn't we be better off going OL, LB or DT? Thoughts?

Steve

A wide receiver will give the team the most impact in the first round.

This couldn't be so more wrong! Do you WR LOVERS know the average development time for a WR in the NFL? 3 YEARS. Every now and then you get lucky. MAYBE 3 WRs a draft start and contribute... MAYBE.

Besides, who is our glorious #20 WR going to start in place of? Boston... Chambers?
No too mention Wanny has said more 2 WR sets this year..... CHECK YOUR MATH!

I recall Wade Smith playing... ummm... 16 games last year..... Not EVEN a 1st rounder.

He's some fast facts from the Palm Beach Post.... LET IT SINK IN...

The 19 players that the Dolphins have drafted in rounds 4-7 over the past four seasons have produced only one starter -- McMichael. And only four of the 15 players Miami drafted in 2000 and 2001 are still on the active roster.

on WRs...

The Dolphins have long needed a wide receiver and were forced to trade for David Boston this off-season in part because youngsters Sam Simmons and J.R. Tolver, recent late-round draft choices, were not ready to play.

About our recent draft success with WANNY at the helm...

In the past three years, Miami has drafted only four players who started last season. That's last in the AFC East and among the fewest in the conference.

Despite the solid selections of wide receiver Chris Chambers (2001, second round) and tight end Randy McMichael (2002, fourth round), there is the glaring absence of even one Pro Bowl player.

Rick is fighting YEARS of bad drafts. He needs 3 maybe 4 starters coming out of this draft. Anything less than a miracle can right so many wrongs. Picking a WR that may take 3 years to develop... I don't think so.

Every year we give away draft picks for players, we are trying to correct HUGE HOLES created by previous bad drafts. So, we are having to spend 2 draft's worth of picks to get 1 draft's picks.

People argue that we are getting those traded players in their prime and do not have to wait on them to develop. The reality in a Salary Cap world is that you NEED CHEAP young DRAFT talent starting in order to offset your Stars' huge salaries.

We need some starters.... blue collar type guys who are worth their weight in gold but cost us only a dime. After all the trade scenarios and mock drafts I've participated in, I have become a firm believer that we should trade back into the second for more picks. If we trade up in any scenario (trade Wale and #20), I think we should do it only to trade back down and collect a bounty of lower picks.

Right now, we need a bunch of quality young guys. #20 is going to bring us that. Especially since we have to wait 3 days before we draft again in the 3rd. I'd trade Wale and #20 for 4 2nds in a heartbeat.

JMO

SWS84 said:
why should we go WR in round 1 when we have two solid starters and tons of depth at Wr. Are we ready to write off Simmons, Tolver, Newson, Thompson, Morris, Bellamy, Davis or Minnis? Wanny and Collier have said that we are only going to use two receiver sets most of the time. I don't agree with that mentality, but never-the-less it means we don't need another #1 type Wr, not when we have so many needs elsewhere. Wouldn't we be better off going OL, LB or DT? Thoughts?

Steve

Why should be go with a wide receiver? Because we have two above average starters and several fringe players behind them. If a starter gets hurt, then this team is up **** creek without a paddle like they were last season. In today's NFL, a team needs three starting caliber wide receivers. This is a passing league.

You can either take a wide receiver that is valued at that particular pick, or you can reach for an offensive tackle.

NathanHunt said:
This couldn't be so more wrong! Do you WR LOVERS know the average development time for a WR in the NFL? 3 YEARS. Every now and then you get lucky. MAYBE 3 WRs a draft start and contribute... MAYBE.

Besides, who is our glorious #20 WR going to start in place of? Boston... Chambers?
No too mention Wanny has said more 2 WR sets this year..... CHECK YOUR MATH!

I recall Wade Smith playing... ummm... 16 games last year..... Not EVEN a 1st rounder.

He's some fast facts from the Palm Beach Post.... LET IT SINK IN...

on WRs...

About our recent draft success with WANNY at the helm...

Rick is fighting YEARS of bad drafts. He needs 3 maybe 4 starters coming out of this draft. Anything less than a miracle can right so many wrongs. Picking a WR that may take 3 years to develop... I don't think so.

Every year we give away draft picks for players, we are trying to correct HUGE HOLES created by previous bad drafts. So, we are having to spend 2 draft's worth of picks to get 1 draft's picks.

People argue that we are getting those traded players in their prime and do not have to wait on them to develop. The reality in a Salary Cap world is that you NEED CHEAP young DRAFT talent starting in order to offset your Stars' huge salaries.

We need some starters.... blue collar type guys who are worth their weight in gold but cost us only a dime. After all the trade scenarios and mock drafts I've participated in, I have become a firm believer that we should trade back into the second for more picks. If we trade up in any scenario (trade Wale and #20), I think we should do it only to trade back down and collect a bounty of lower picks.

Right now, we need a bunch of quality young guys. #20 is going to bring us that. Especially since we have to wait 3 days before we draft again in the 3rd. I'd trade Wale and #20 for 4 2nds in a heartbeat.

JMO

This team doesn't need three or four starters. Who the hell are they going to start over?

A wide receiver will make an impact as a #3 wide receiver. Miami isn't going to abandon 3 wide sets. They would be foolish to do so when they are trying to improve their passing game. You will probably see more three wide sets despite what Dave Wannstedt has stated publicly.

84, I agree with you that we have adequate depth for a #3 WR on the roster now, but if they take a WR, it will be because of the depth of the draft in WR this year and as a backup plan in case either CC can't be signed to a longterm contract and leaves after next year and/or Boston flops sometime this year.

So who is the bpa at that time....Smiley, Andrews, Clayton, Evans, Tubbs, Starks, Odom ???

My take of the above group:
1) Smiley--IMO the BPA of the group, but he is a guard, and it is our need. He would start from day one, but teams don't take guards in the first round.
2) Clayton: Good size, good speed, soft hands, but not OL is more of a need for this year.
3) Evans: Neck and neck with Clayton, possibly a little better, but gets edged out because of his past injury problems...bad knees are a WR worst nightmare.
4) Andrews: If available has the cursed "potential" tag on him...attitude, weight, and past back injury problems, but a real road grater and fixture at RT for years, provided he lives up to his "potential". I chose him over DT/DE because of need.
5) Stubbs/Starks: Both solid DT and fit our scheme, although I see neither starting this year, either would be in the 3 man rotation at tackle that we run to help keep Bowens and Zygonia fresher towards the end of the game. Stubbs gets a slight edge as he is a little more polished and fits slightly better in our 2-gap.
6) Odom: Threw him in for the idea to have a replacement grooming for when Ogun leaves after this season....Probalbly a long-shot that RS wouldn't be too concerned with this year (replacing Ogun, that is).
Another need is LB, but I don't see us going LB in the first....we should have our pick of at least 5 of these guys at #20.

This team doesn't need three or four starters. Who the hell are they going to start over?

A wide receiver will make an impact as a #3 wide receiver. Miami isn't going to abandon 3 wide sets. They would be foolish to do so when they are trying to improve their passing game. You will probably see more three wide sets despite what Dave Wannstedt has stated publicly.

We don't need 3 or 4 starters? I'm sorry, I forgot we have the youngest team in the league. We have ALL 26 yo players. Why are we even drafting this year?

We have NO idea how the, currently, 4 OLinemen are going to perform. We have an immediate need for the 5th starter. Not too mention at least 1 HEALTHY YOUNG starting caliber backup in case Big MAC can't play. Without BM, we are VERY THIN across the line. Sure, you could bring in a vet... another AGING player. Fact is, we need another Wade Smith just in case we need that 6th guy to start. Don't forget we are just a few years removed from losing 3+ staters in one season. INJURY, INJURY, INJURY.

So, I count 2 OLineman.

Last time I checked, JS and ZT aren't getting any younger. It is time to begin grooming ZTs replacement. A special teamer who can get a few reps at LB.

That's 1 LB.

I don't think Timbo has found the fountain of youth yet either. Another BIG WARM body might help in a rotation.

That's 1 DT.

Hmmmmm... there's 4. Not too mention you're aging at other spots and/or thin with starters. Sure would hate to see McMichael get injured.

Sure, we have big name starters and we have SOME prospects in certain positions. But, we have a lot of middle aged backups also. We need the youth so we are not spending MORE draft picks in the future to get players as backups and starters. Wouldn't it be nice if we had so much young talent that teams we TRYING to raid our camp for talent?

I doubt the bills will give up both the 1st and 2nd to move up.

You will probably see more three wide sets despite what Dave Wannstedt has stated publicly.

Collier, "3rd and 8, send in our 3 WR package."
Wanny, "My show, I said keep Konrad in, we're running a screen pass."

And what exactly makes you think Wanny won't keep playing conservative?

What in the history of Wanny's legacy makes you think he's going to play balls to the wall now?

NathanHunt said:
We don't need 3 or 4 starters? I'm sorry, I forgot we have the youngest team in the league. We have ALL 26 yo players. Why are we even drafting this year?

We have NO idea how the, currently, 4 OLinemen are going to perform. We have an immediate need for the 5th starter. Not too mention at least 1 HEALTHY YOUNG starting caliber backup in case Big MAC can't play. Without BM, we are VERY THIN across the line. Sure, you could bring in a vet... another AGING player. Fact is, we need another Wade Smith just in case we need that 6th guy to start. Don't forget we are just a few years removed from losing 3+ staters in one season. INJURY, INJURY, INJURY.

So, I count 2 OLineman.

Last time I checked, JS and ZT aren't getting any younger. It is time to begin grooming ZTs replacement. A special teamer who can get a few reps at LB.

That's 1 LB.

I don't think Timbo has found the fountain of youth yet either. Another BIG WARM body might help in a rotation.

That's 1 DT.

Hmmmmm... there's 4. Not too mention you're aging at other spots and/or thin with starters. Sure would hate to see McMichael get injured.

Sure, we have big name starters and we have SOME prospects in certain positions. But, we have a lot of middle aged backups also. We need the youth so we are not spending MORE draft picks in the future to get players as backups and starters. Wouldn't it be nice if we had so much young talent that teams we TRYING to raid our camp for talent?

Yeah. Two offensive linemen, a linebacker, and a defensive tackle will come in and start as rookies on this team. :rolleyes:

In case most of your "throw it deep" guys haven't noticed, we have OFFICIALLY acquired the last piece of the Dallas Cowboys' SB regime, David Boston. We now have the prototype team that JJ and now Wanny have been trying to build the entire time...

Irvin, Harper, Smith, Novacheck, Moose, Aikman and a good D.

Boston, Chambers, Williams, McMichael, Konrad, Feeley/Fiedler and Co.

This is what JJ had in mind when he came here. It's the same blueprint he won with. We've been hiring and acquiring coaches and players that fit this mold for nearly a decade. The final piece is here. Now it's time to see if it all works.

More 3 WR sets.... MY @$$!

NathanHunt said:
Collier, "3rd and 8, send in our 3 WR package."
Wanny, "My show, I said keep Konrad in, we're running a screen pass."

And what exactly makes you think Wanny won't keep playing conservative?

What in the history of Wanny's legacy makes you think he's going to play balls to the wall now?

Because Dave isn't the terrible coach some of you make him out to be. His conservative tendancies are grounded in his philosophy that playing strong defense and running the ball is the way to win. The conservative play calling where we run a screen pass on 3rd and 8 is directly related to the lack of talent the team had offensively. When you have exactly one receiver that can get down the field and exactly zero quarterbacks that can get that receiver the ball, you can't open up the passing offense and attack the field vertically. I think some of you feel that Miami could start flinging the ball all over the field with Fiedler at quarterback. That wasn't going to happen, and it never will happen for any team he has to be the quarterback on.

They went out and got AJ Feeley because they know they have to have more big play ability and more accuracy at the quarterback position. They got David Boston because they needed a receiver opposite Chris Chambers. Neither one of these moves suggests that this is going to be a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team.

Back
Top Bottom