The Guard Position | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

Against winning teams??? Ah...no!

As if that was entirely, or even mostly, due to the OG position. As if the defense didn't give up 48 to the Bills and 56 to the Ravens. As if Tua didn't throw 6 INTs in the losses where there was no pressure (only 1 INT under pressure in those games). As if the pressure % Tua faced the weeks of those losses wasn't 12th lowest in the NFL, with 9 of the 12 sacks allowed in those games given up by OC and OT.

Last edited:
As if that was entirely, or even mostly, due to the OG position. As if the defense didn't give up 48 to the Bills and 56 to the Ravens. As if Tua didn't throw 6 INTs in the losses where there was no pressure (only 1 INT under pressure in those games). As if the pressure % Tua faced the weeks of those losses wasn't 12th lowest in the NFL, with 9 of the 12 sacks allowed in those games given up by OC and OG.
Currently we have a injury-prone LT who misses about a 1/3rd of every season he's played, another injury prone LG and undersized center, a castaway, free-agent right guard, and a decent-to-good RT. Very little quality depth...and we keep dreaming of a Super Bowl...hmmm...I see a problem here.

Was that a BS line? Didn't the Dolphins lead the NFL in total yards, deep passing yards, Pass Blocking Efficiency, pressure rate allowed, rushing YPC and rushing TDs despite having their OL starters miss more games than any other team in the league? Not just decent in those categories, but better than any other team in the league.

Pass block efficiency & Pressure rate don't paint the whole picture. Both those statistics are can be deceiving if you don't consider "time to throw". Tua was easily #1 (2.32 seconds)

Tua's TTT when throwing deep (20+ yards) is still a blistering 2.76 seconds which would still be faster than the overall TTT for J. Herbert, J. Allen, C.J. Stroud, P. Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson.

If you look at yearly PFF grades for blocking, we were 16th in PBK and 19th in RBK which is a much more accurate reflection of the overall line play.

Animated GIF

Last edited:
Honestly, considering that we run a scheme that requires mobility from our blockers I wrote off any prospect described as slow or having trouble getting to blocks at the second level.
As Fineas said in a recent post, while we have all been under the impression this scheme requires mobile guards, looking at Shanahan in SF and McDaniel here, there does not seem to be any concerted effort to acquire the most mobile guards available. Though a mobile center seems very much desired, as well as the OTs.
Mahogany had a solid shuttle time, so I expected he'd be on their list.

Currently we have a injury-prone LT who misses about a 1/3rd of every season he's played, another injury prone LG and undersized center, a castaway, free-agent right guard, and a decent-to-good RT. Very little quality depth...and we keep dreaming of a Super Bowl...hmmm...I see a problem here.

Of course, all those injury-prone guys were actually injured in 2023 and the Dolphins were nonetheless at the top of the OL/OG metrics, as well as virtually all offensive metrics.

Pass block efficiency & Pressure rate don't paint the whole picture. Both those statistics are can be deceiving if you don't consider "time to throw". Tua was easily #1 (2.32 seconds)

Tua's TTT when throwing deep (20+ yards) is still a blistering 2.76 seconds which would still be faster than the overall TTT for J. Herbert, J. Allen, C.J. Stroud, P. Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson.

If you look at yearly PFF grades for blocking, we were 16th in PBK and 19th in RBK which is a much more accurate reflection of the overall line play.

Animated GIF

Time to throw is dictated by when the WR is open and the QB decides to throw it to him, not on the pass blocking. If Tua was throwing "too" early his completion percentage and rating would reflect that. They don't. At all. His completion percentage and rating were near the best in the league.

Yes, he throws the deep passes quickly and was more successful on that than any other QB. there's no reason to want that to change or to expect it to change, as he will be back, as will his top receivers.

The grades you cite are middle of the pack and not a sign that drastic changes are needed. And, of course, those average grades were obtained even with all the OL injuries. Those grades are a useful subjective measure of how guys performed, but the metrics show the actual impact of that performance on the field. And that actual impact is that Tua was pressured less often than any other QB even while throwing for more yards and more deep yards. The Dolphins' team Blown Block rate was the best in the NFL by a wide margin and the BB rate for the OGs was 4th best. The run game averaged the highest YPC in the league and were no. 1 in TDs. The OL did not hold back this offense, even with all those injuries.

that's because they're not looking...hence the same BS line that Gier gave us last year..."we think more of our current Pl personnel than you guys (the press) do."
I can promise you it's not because Fineas is not looking. I've never known anyone on any of these forums who constantly digs deeper looking for answers than he does.

Cotton is easily our worst linemen and it’s not close. Like almost as bad as Eich at C but atleast Eich is solid at lg and rg. Cotton is awful at both guard positions.
I honestly cannot understand how Cotton has survived as long on the roster as he already has. Durability seems to be his only redeeming quality. With him on the roster, they knew they at least had one warm body to line up at one of the guard spots. If they asked me, I'd say cut him and give his reps in the battles at OG to Ryan Hayes. But I'm not sure he is even going to be given a shot at an OG job or if they see him only at OT

If he's not a starter, then he's a back-up or at most a situational role player. Quit trying to be a smart-A$$
The Goat said "he is not a project, to which you replied by asking "So he is an immediate starter?" As if that was the only other possibility. As you've seemed to realize yourself with this next post, there are other options between 'project' and 'immediate starter'.

Raymond, Raymond, Raymond, my naive young friend. ;) A false dichotomy is the fallacy of presenting only two choices, outcomes, or sides to an argument as the only possibilities when more are available. :UP:

I honestly cannot understand how Cotton has survived as long on the roster as he already has. Durability seems to be his only redeeming quality. With him on the roster, they knew they at least had one warm body to line up at one of the guard spots. If they asked me, I'd say cut him and give his reps in the battles at OG to Ryan Hayes. But I'm not sure he is even going to be given a shot at an OG job or if they see him only at OT

He's definitely a weak link. I don't know what they see in him. As I pointed out, they don't seem to care about speed, quickness or athleticism at OG and they really don't ask for much of it from them. There are some reach blocks in zone but nothing too difficult or unusual. I think the plan is to have two big, bulky guys next to Brewer to help with inside power rushes. Other than perhaps a blitzed, there will rarely be 3 rushers rushing over the OGs and OC, so it will almost always be a double-team opportunity inside. And I guess Cotton could do that, but it still seems like they can do better with that roster spot.

I am fine with hearing the truth but you aren't speaking it. Pull your head out of the sand and use it for something besides a hat rack.
Brewer isn't incapable as a pass blocker. There is a huge difference between blocking for Tannehill who we all know holds the ball way too long, going back to his days with Miami, and the rookie Levis who did much of the same thing, and Tua who gets rid of the ball quicker than any QB in the league on average. Miami also uses far fewer true pass sets, and more play action, making the pass blocking easier for all 5 linemen.
Also, his ability as a wide zone run blocker is exceptional and if we had to replace Connor, Brewer was the best option available.
If you really believe Brewer is the worst pass-blocking center why do you think McDaniel and Grier wanted him so badly as to sign him immediately in free agency? Do you think they are just a bunch of blind fools and should have consulted you and your superb analysis before deciding to sign him?
Your post is too long. Brewer needs to prove it. If you want to close your eyes, go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom