The Guard Position | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

I agree on throwing to the 1-2 reads when they are open, but when that is not the case move on to 3 or even 4 (a 4th option should be schemed into passing plays more often than not unless they are required to block a blitzer). Fins threw into double coverage way too often, maybe it was sneaky defensive adjustments maybe incorrect diagnosis by Tua maybe just a lack of inclination to keep checking down for surer first down plays that over time would help keep defenses honest.
I thought so too.

Santa Claus GIF by DreamWorks Animation

I think a lot of people, myself included, thought or assumed that the Dolphins would want quick, athletic and mobile OGs for this system. To date, there has been no attempt to do that. And the Niners under Shanahan haven't done that either. On both teams, they actually seem to be looking for guys in the 320 range and seem to gravitate to guys with nothing compelling in their athletic testing. Some that have played a lot have been downright bad in their testing. McD inherited Hunt at RG, but there was an obvious opportunity to move him back to RT if they felt his physical profile didn't fit. They obviously didn't do that and he played well in this system. They have kept Robert Jones and his poor 40, shuttle and 3-cone times for several years and have also used Lester Cotton there even though his athletic profile bears no resemblance to what people believe is needed for this kind of scheme. They signed Isaiah Wynn, but he apparently did no athletic testing coming out and I suspect he would have if it would have been good. It has been much the same in SF, where Laken Tomlinson started at OG with poor speed and agility metrics. They drafted Aaron Banks in the 2nd, which is a big investment in OG for this scheme, but he is another 325 lb guy who runs 5.3+. Same with John Feliciano. Spencer Buford is a little smaller, but still not fast or particularly athletic. Daniel Brunskill is a smaller guy but even at only 273 coming out he still had a pretty poor 3-cone (7.9), shuttle (4.84) and a pedestrian vertical (28").

I really have no idea what they are looking for in an OG.
that's because they're not looking...hence the same BS line that Gier gave us last year..."we think more of our current Pl personnel than you guys (the press) do."

that's because they're not looking...hence the same BS line that Gier gave us last year..."we think more of our current Pl personnel than you guys (the press) do."

Was that a BS line? Didn't the Dolphins lead the NFL in total yards, deep passing yards, Pass Blocking Efficiency, pressure rate allowed, rushing YPC and rushing TDs despite having their OL starters miss more games than any other team in the league? Not just decent in those categories, but better than any other team in the league.

He and Butch Barry did not get along. Slowmar Kelly said Reisner may have led the celebration when Barry was fired.
If Blomar Smelly was right for once in his life and there is animosity between Barry and Risner, then we won't sign him.

If Blomar Smelly was right for once in his life and there is animosity between Barry and Risner, then we won't sign him.
If true, it would certainly explain why there have been no real rumblings of actual interest here.
I haven't seen anything but random speculation from writers who were just spit-balling. If there have been any reports from anyone affiliated with the team, I have not seen them.
Instead, we've had McD saying that he's happier with the line than the media and fans are.

Sorry if the truth about Brewer isnt what you want to hear. I dont like it either, but thems the facts. As a Center, he is horrific in pass protection. The Titans knew that and let him walk.
I am fine with hearing the truth but you aren't speaking it. Pull your head out of the sand and use it for something besides a hat rack.
Brewer isn't incapable as a pass blocker. There is a huge difference between blocking for Tannehill who we all know holds the ball way too long, going back to his days with Miami, and the rookie Levis who did much of the same thing, and Tua who gets rid of the ball quicker than any QB in the league on average. Miami also uses far fewer true pass sets, and more play action, making the pass blocking easier for all 5 linemen.
Also, his ability as a wide zone run blocker is exceptional and if we had to replace Connor, Brewer was the best option available.
If you really believe Brewer is the worst pass-blocking center why do you think McDaniel and Grier wanted him so badly as to sign him immediately in free agency? Do you think they are just a bunch of blind fools and should have consulted you and your superb analysis before deciding to sign him?

Here are the Blown Block (Sports Info Solutions) rankings of OG units in 2023, with Points Earned Per Play and % of games missed by OGs that started the season as starters:

1. Cowboys -- 1.331% Blown Block; 0.07 PE/play (starters missed 14.7% of starts)
2. Ravens -- 1.649% Blown Block; 0.07 PE/play (starters missed 6.25% of starts)
3. Bills -- 1.80% Blown Block; 0.08 PE/play (starters missed 0% of starts)
4. Dolphins -- 1.832% Blown Block; 0.07 PE/play (starters missed 50% of starts)
5. Steelers -- 1.986% Blown Block; 0.07 PE/play (starters missed 8.8% of starts)

Last edited:
If true, it would certainly explain why there have been no real rumblings of actual interest here.
I haven't seen anything but random speculation from writers who were just spit-balling. If there have been any reports from anyone affiliated with the team, I have not seen them.
Instead, we've had McD saying that he's happier with the line than the media and fans are.
If we do sign Risner I'd guess the question of his relationship in Denver with Barry will come up. If he said they got along fine, it will sure make Blomar and the other local hacks who may have said look stupid. Again.

Was that a BS line? Didn't the Dolphins lead the NFL in total yards, deep passing yards, Pass Blocking Efficiency, pressure rate allowed, rushing YPC and rushing TDs despite having their OL starters miss more games than any other team in the league? Not just decent in those categories, but better than any other team in the league.
Against winning teams??? Ah...no!

Mahogany was a good example of a guy with holes in his game being overvalued by the media draft gurus and hence many fans.
Honestly, considering that we run a scheme that requires mobility from our blockers I wrote off any prospect described as slow or having trouble getting to blocks at the second level.

Back
Top Bottom