The Jets are Team to Beat NEXT Year... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Jets are Team to Beat NEXT Year...

They may be the better team, talent wise. Depends on hour our respective off seasons go. Technically, they were the better team this year too though right?

I don't think, as of right now, there is a huge gap between the Jets Pats and Fins. I think we're almost back to where it is anybody's division, and no dominant force. So I don't agree with the Jets are THE team to beat, but they are A team to beat. Nothing like the Patriots of the last decade though who dominated the division.
no.. imo there isnt a huge gap.. and yes, depending on the offseason, we could and hopefully will end up the better team

The jets were dead until Indy pulled Payton Manning,and their fortunes have changed. They were lucky to have a fading Cincinnati team on the last game of the season and to meet them again for the Wild card game.We had the stars align in 2008 and the Jets had it happen for them in 2009. They are a solid team with a star at DB.
The Fins were decimated by injuries and we still hung tough until the last 3 games.I think the teams match up evenly and there will be very competitive games between us for a few years.The problem with New York is that it is New York. They cannot be satisfied with winning and the media and fans will turn on Ryan and Co as soon as the going gets tough. The going will be tough in the AFCE. The Pats are weakened, but they are still a force. The Fins will be better and healthier next year. The Bills have some talent, they just need a good coach.The Jets will be in the divisional playoff, so next year it will have to be the AFC championship or super bowl.It will be real tough to repeat.You can have the best team in football and still not get to the super bowl, you have to have some luck along the way.
The jets fans can get ****y and arrogant and enjoy their season, but I have a feeling it will be over next week.

IMO not a huge gap between us, Pats, or Jets. The Bills have some talent too, but need a QB, OL, and pass rush.

The Jets looked great last night, and I give them credit for that, but the Bengals looked pretty bad too. Only thing I'll say is that if they want to go from good to great team, Sanchez is gonna need to progress like most think he can. He was effecient last night, but the passing game was really dummied down.

Pats still have talent, but are on the way down because of some poor drafts in recent years. The LB corp is mediocre, and their secondary is bad. Also, the DL isn't that great. Wilfork and Warren are above average players, but the depth is no longer there

We are still adding talent. Let's not forget we were 1-15 2 seasons ago. Rome wasn't built in a day, but we do have some young pieces to be proud of.

no.. imo there isnt a huge gap.. and yes, depending on the offseason, we could and hopefully will end up the better team

For the Jets? I think their defense is a lot better than ours, obviously. But our offense is marginally better than theirs now. We have the advantage of a more "advanced" QB. Henne is a level higher than Sanchez, at least.

If the gap was huge we wouldn't have swept them this year. No two ways about it.

haha how are the Jets so far ahead of Miami? because they made the playoffs? the fact we had a better record up until our end of season losing streak? if we made the playoffs this year would we be the better team? if the Texans and Steelers laid down and took starters out at halftime would we be the better team? what are you basing this on?

The Jets have a better defense...thats it. Theyre not a better team. If we played them a 3rd time we'd beat them again, im sure of it.

Exactly right! :thanks:

For the Jets? I think their defense is a lot better than ours, obviously. But our offense is marginally better than theirs now. We have the advantage of a more "advanced" QB. Henne is a level higher than Sanchez, at least.

If the gap was huge we wouldn't have swept them this year. No two ways about it.

Earlier in the season, we had the #1 rush defense and were leading the league in rushing....and we had a loosing record.
We have the starters, but our young depth is sorely lacking.
When the injuries started piling up, our team began to fade.

Be careful speaking the truth around here, too many kool-aid drinkers thinking that the Dolphins are ALWAYS better than the Jets...no matter what they do. Where are all those monkeys who said that the Bengals would rip the Jets a new one yesterday after getting blown out a week before?! Chumps ALL!

We'll be looking at a #3 spot in the division next year, and Sporano may be looking for a new job after the 2010 season. Nice guy, Good O-Line Coach, but a Champion Winning Head Coach...don't see that in his future.

I would have to disagree with you on this...i think the fact that our team had depth at positions was the reason we were able to make the run that we did.

We lost maybe our biggest threat on offense in Ronnie for half the season. Having Ricky Williams sure helped out alot but it was evident he couldnt handle the load anymore and we also lost Cobbs too. Hilliard picked up the slack when called upon and made some plays. We lost Will Allen so both rookies started and played fairly decent for rookies, i guess. Our biggest problem at depth was our LBs. Joey Porter and JT are aging and Porters been dealing with injury all year on and off and the backups are pretty bad. Ayodele and Torbor suck. I was never really fond of Crowders play but watching the LBs when he was out was just pitiful. This is why i say our biggest need is at the LB position whether its inside or outside, this is where we need to get some playmakers.

Now im not saying our roster is so deep that every player can produce when asked to do so when a starter goes down. Theres always going to be some weak links but i thought with all the injuries we've had this year, the guys who filled in really did a good job. Berger for example...he came in was switchin positions on the line, playing center and he did a very good job. I was very impressed with our backup O-linemen who filled in for injured guys.

Earlier in the season, we had the #1 rush defense and were leading the league in rushing....and we had a loosing record.

That is true, we also had the #1 rush offense for a bit. But that's kind of the point. I don't think people who say there's a huge gap between the Jets and Fins aren't taking into consideration our major injuries. R.Brown, J.Ferg, W.Allen, P.Cobbs. That is a lot to lose especially considering (as you said) our lack of depth.

I think we'll close the small talent gap not make it larger.

I dunno, I think this offseason will be very key. We don't have a ton of draft picks and making it into the "Final 8" limits what we can do in free agency. Things change quickly from year to year in the NFL so there's no promise that what worked for us this year will be there next year. We do have a nice nucleus of young talent already on the roster and contributing though. It all hinges on the development of Sanchez.

Just checking how many yards did Benson get against the #1 Def? how does a #1 defense lose 7 games? Sanchez is not a franchise QB by any means. We beat the #1 defense twice with out running game so I think with some key additions we are at the least on par with them. I give them kudos for seizing the moment but I by no means beleive we have to fear them.

Hey Nubs...is this a definite thing for next year?
If there is no new CBA before the start of free agency in March, then yes that is the way it will be. If they reach a new CBA though, it will not be like that.
I know I'm not Nubs but if there is no CBA it's a definite thing for ALL playoff teams.
That rule for free agency only affects the final 8 teams in the playoffs. All wildcard losers are not affected(Bengals, Eagles and Patriots so far).

Geez. Jets beat a laying down Colts team and a weaklish Bengals team and slide into the playoffs and suddenly they are the team to beat?

:ponder:

Watch for the Chargers to take the Jets apart next week. Wonder how many threads like this we are going to see.

Plus, you don't even know what coach the Bills get.

Jets the team to beat? Puhlease!!!!!!

Be careful speaking the truth around here, too many kool-aid drinkers thinking that the Dolphins are ALWAYS better than the Jets...no matter what they do. Where are all those monkeys who said that the Bengals would rip the Jets a new one yesterday after getting blown out a week before?! Chumps ALL!

We'll be looking at a #3 spot in the division next year, and Sporano may be looking for a new job after the 2010 season. Nice guy, Good O-Line Coach, but a Champion Winning Head Coach...don't see that in his future.

Glad you can predict an NFL season 10 months before it happens. I mean I am in awe of how you could make predictions in perhaps the most unpredictable sport without even waiting for FA and the draft. Speaking the truth? you are specualting rather baselessly by the way. I would rather be a kool aid drinker (not that I am) than one of these irrational knne jerker pessimsts.

Back
Top Bottom