The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame. Select your winner!

• Dave Wannstedt

• Nick Saban

• Cam Cameron

• Tony Sparano

• Joe Philbin

• Adam Gase

Results are only viewable after voting.
Look at point differential. No miami coach has a worse one than gase (nfl only).
Cam was -170 in his one season. Gase averaged around -80 in his 3 seasons. You have to use average per season, Imo.

I don't want to be defending Gase (what a crappy job that would be!), he was bad. Just not the worst Imo.

Could I say that the worst coach in Miami Dolphins history is George Wilson (15-39-2) from 1966-1969?

We were an expansion team so we probably weren't going to have a great record those first several years anyway. And Wilson did win the NFL title with the Lions in '57. But this is about OUR worst coach ever. Success elsewhere doesn't keep someone off the list or Jimmy wouldn't be getting so many votes. Problem is, most of us have no idea who Wilson was. He was let go after our 4th season as the AFL and NFL merged and Shula was hired. We went 10-4 immediately in 1970.

I least liked Gase, but Cameron was hands down the worst.

The fact that your poll has 6 options and you've only got 1 guy who was significantly under .500 is a real testament to how lucky we have been as a franchise. I think we're just all spoiled from having the Greatest Of All Time Coach--Don Shula.

If you want a real question, I suggest your next poll include the coach we had BEFORE Don Shula arrived ... yeah, his record was worse than 5 of your 6 options ... just FYI.

Cameron get that award...but other coaches lack elite qb.. to help them get too next level.

Gase based on recent bias. Really though, him and the man who drafted a punt returner and his family are like 1 A and 1 B.

Cameron was the worst coach by far but Wannstedt drove a proud, legendary franchise into the dirt for a decade. If you paid someone to destroy a franchise, his competition for highest paid would be Bill O Brien...maybe Matt Millen and his "Yes, Im drafting a WR high in the 1st round for the third straight year"
I agree the best analogy is Bill O'Brien. He traded Hopkins for a 2nd round pick.

I mean everyone besides Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson lacked an elite QB to get to the next level.
By choice, because most regimes thought it was a good idea to sign washed up quarterbacks. Or have quarterbacks that would be third stringers in other teams. I remember how people were fighting in this forum over Fiedler and Ray Lucas. Giving fans spam to fight over.

The fact that your poll has 6 options and you've only got 1 guy who was significantly under .500 is a real testament to how lucky we have been as a franchise. I think we're just all spoiled from having the Greatest Of All Time Coach--Don Shula.

If you want a real question, I suggest your next poll include the coach we had BEFORE Don Shula arrived ... yeah, his record was worse than 5 of your 6 options ... just FYI.
Not even worth including anyone pre shula era.

Wannstedt had winning teams all but his last year when he lost his franchise player right before training camp. The team was so run into the ground that Saban had a winning team again the next year. Who knows what could have happened had Saban picked Aaron Rodgers or signed Drew Brees.

I'm not saying Wannstedt was a good coach but him being the start of a line of bad coaches is being counted against him unfairly.
Come on bro... we were ruined in the draft because of him. He inherited a team from JJ. Brought in the same guys he worked with Johnson. He also did the same to the bears. Are you serious? He destroyed two teams in a decade span.

Wannstedt was before my time. I think it’s hard to argue he’s the worst, given his record of two playoff appearances and a divisional championship, but from what I’ve read, he was responsible for the long term immiseration of the franchise and running Ricky so damn hard he fled the country, so I suppose that puts him in the conversation.

Saban wasn’t a bad football coach he was just cowardly in how he handled his situation here and bailed to Alabama. Obviously, it was a good move for him, but you just wish he handled it all differently and didn’t lie throughout the season. I don’t remember much of him though because I was pretty young and just beginning to follow football.

I haven’t missed a game since the ’07 season when I was 15 years old, so that’s where my knowledge begins. I don’t see how Cam Cameron isn’t the worst of the bunch. That team was so, so, so bad. I’ll never forget screaming and losing my damn mind as Camarillo took that one to the house in overtime (from freaking Cleo Lemon of all people!) to avoid the winless campaign. Felt like winning the Super Bowl to me then. Cameron was an alright OC for Baltimore after he got canned here, but was in way over his head as a HC. Thank God Parcells fired him asap after taking over the reigns, although I'll never forgive the Parcells triumvirate for how they did ZT dirty.

Sparano wasn’t a terrible coach but he wasn’t great either. Ol’ Fist Pump (RIP) seemed like a decent guy and that ’08 campaign was spectacular—even if it was mostly due to a weak schedule and Pennington falling in our laps shortly before the season started. Ireland was a bad GM and Sparano was a Parcells disciple who did not have his finger on the pulse of the latest trends in the league. I loved Jake Long, but passing on Matt Ryan and settling for Chad Henne in the second round was a terrible mistake.

Joe Philbin is probably second worst for me. He just very clearly was not a leader of a group of alpha men in an NFL locker room. Not every coach has to be a screamer to be a motivator—look at Tony Dungy—but Philbin just didn’t have it. I feel like his teams were never prepared to start games, he wasn’t good at making halftime adjustments, he blew up a pretty good defense, stunted Tannehill’s development, couldn’t piece together a decent o-line despite that supposedly being his specialty. I think the only reason he got the job is because Aaron Rodgers vouched for him and he showed up to his interview with a big binder he fooled Ross with.

Gase probably gets my vote for third worst. We made the same mistake we did with Philbin—Philbin’s success in Green Bay was due to future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers, likewise with Gase in Denver and Manning. Gase was just such an arrogant prick who was inflexible and bled talent because he couldn’t work with anyone. I have to give him props for going to the Jets, coaching terribly for the past two seasons, then screwing up the Tank for Trevor with some meaningless late season wins. It was a lovely parting gift from him.

Just my two cents.
Look at my last post about Wannestead. He is the only one in that list that has a super bowl ring as a defensive coordinator for the cowboys.

Back
Top Bottom