The most important aspect of a franchise IS SCOUTING/DRAFT DEPARTMENT, ABOVE ALL!! Coaches DO NOT bring playoff success!! | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The most important aspect of a franchise IS SCOUTING/DRAFT DEPARTMENT, ABOVE ALL!! Coaches DO NOT bring playoff success!!

Yes, coaches have something to contribute and manage, but they are NOT the reason a team wins or loses. It's the players on the roster. Period.

Your thesis is false. Consider that essentially all NFL players are well conditioned, strong, fast, athletic etc... And the League salary cap rules insure that extraordinary talented players will be distributed among the entire League. So, the differentiating factor among teams is coaching , which includes practice routines, teaching to develop player skills, on field play calling and game strategy etc...

Ask Chargers fans how they feel about this. Perhaps a "non-genius" type of coach would've known NOT to call timeout when your opponent appears content to let the clock run out and let you slide into the dance. Charger's GM and scouts have stocked that roster chock full of tremendous talent and Mr. Mensa pooped all over it. Coaching matters. As Bum Phillips once so eloquently phrased it about Shula- "He can take his'n and beat your'n, and take your'n and beat his'n".

You know what works.......GM + Scouting + Coaching

One isn't exclusive over the other, they all need to work in order to have a chance at Super Bowls!

Shula made Scott and Mandich. Mandich always talked about his career under Shula.
I loved Mandich on the radio but the fact is Mandich was a very average to below average TE in the league. If a TE on the Dolphins had the stats he had in his career, fans would be asking why he is still on the team.

As far as Scott is concerned. He is the best safety in the history of the Dolphins and he would have been a great player no matter what team he played on or who his coach was. Shula did NOT make Scott. Scott made Scott the player he was.

Hey, Coach. I believe the man wrote in his first sentence that coaches can contribute, not that they don’t make a difference.

See how I just tried to coach you how to read? Think you won’t make the same mistake again? Highly doubtful.

What ages do you coach? Have you ever tried to coach a grown arse man that if he didn’t play pee wee ball has at least 7 years of improper technique ingrained in him?

As well as, do you know a special technique that NO COACH IN THE NFL knows? Do you have a dirty little hand placement, feet movement secret that only you can coach? No? Why am I not surprised?

Could it be that EVERY technique in the football lexicon is known by any coach worth his grain of salt? There’s a Webster dictionary of football, bro. It’s all in the book for everyone to learn. So is coaching something you and I can read about and demonstrate to a person and it’s up to that player to practice, train, practice and then train again or is it the coaches Harry Potter’s whistle that grants success?

Coaches have little to do with breaking improper technique other than to bust a player’s balls over and over and over and over again in practice until he gets it right. My mother can do that.

I’ll give you time management. That’s all on a HC. But name me a famous HC that hasn’t won without a superstar? Give me a Don Shula championship team that didn’t have a player above and beyond all others.

Where is our superstar? We can’t draft one. We can’t trade for one. That’s on the HC?

And how’s this for an idea.., HOW ABOUT DRAFTING PROPERLY TRAINED STUDS? Too much to ask? We are, after all, the Dolphins so I guess it may be.

Get in a lab and create a Frankenstein HC of Shula, Belicheat, Halas & Lombardi and give them a 19 points per game offense in this era of football, see what they win you.

Nobody hits 100% in the draft…or even close to that!

As bad as the first round of 2020 was? The first three picks in 2021 saved Grier in my assessment…at least for now!

He better get this next hire right, and nail this next draft and free agency….or I think we have to take another hard look at him!

The fans who scream that a team has no talent and blame the personnel department are the fans who are incapable of understanding that the talent looks bad because the coaching is bad.

We saw perfect examples of that in the complete mishandling of the O-line this season!

Back
Top Bottom