The most underrated Dolphins in history? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The most underrated Dolphins in history?

CrunchTime said:
Howard Twilley.Taken in the expansion year at a time when teams made available their worst players he was the only player taken that stuck around for a few years.Short and slow all he did was catch everything thrown his way.

Mike Kolen.Drafted in the 8th round he wouldnt have made in the NFL if it hadnt been for the strike shortened season.After that year he settled in at the LB spot and was one of the biggest hitter on the team for several years thus his nickname "Captain Crunch"

Jon Geisler.Kutchenberg,Fernandez were all great players who never got much credit because they were overshadowed by their team mates.

Tony Nathan,Nat Moore, didnt get the credit they deserved.Gadsden had his moments too.Don "Stroke" Strock was great coming off the bench and almost pulled out a win in one of the greatest games ever played the epic in Miami against the Chargers.(Sorry Dooger I know you disagree but it was a great game)

Crunch, agreed it was a spectacularly entertaining game. I just think it revealed two flawed teams who were destined to be booted the following week in Cincinnati. In the playoffs I love to handicap and highlight vulnerability. Falling behind 24-zip at home demonstrated remarkable vulnerability, as did blowing a 24-0 lead. Admittedly, my memories and evaluation of that game are blurred by the blockbuster fight that immediately preceded it, between my USC row goddess girlfriend and myself driving back to LA after the Fiesta Bowl vs. Penn State. I think we had one 5 minute truce and she even won that one.

My alltime Fin underrated has predictably not been mentioned yet. Bill Stanfill was a perennial Prop Bowler in an era of great DEs. I'll always believe Stanfill and Dick Anderson were the two premier defenders of our No Name era, despite Buoniconti's induction. A neck injury, subsequent ugly dispute with the franchise, and Stanfill's low key media style shouldn't detract from the best overall DE the Dolphins have ever had.

kingnate85 said:
Hah, Darrius Rucker...you know I sent him an email once asking him if he was a Dolphins fan or what the deal was with those lyrics. He never responded though.

He was and still may be a huge Dolphin fan. He use to go to games at JRS all the time when Dan was playing.

dolfreak said:
Without a doubt Reggie Roby, best black punter in league history.

clear.gif

Why do you have it make a race issue with it?

I saw someone post Jay Brophy Ha ha.. Did you mean John Bosa instead? come on!
Another posted G Blackwood? Did you see him play in 84/85? The Killer Bees was OVERRATED.
As for my UNDER rated All time Fin.

Hands Down ...56...
John Offerdahl.

Delvin Williams has been overlooked also. I wouldnt say he was great, but he did break the long streak for years without a 1000 yrd rusher.

Ahhh, How Quickly they forget!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Tony Paige or Keith Byars? Both of them ate up HUGE yars with underneath passing from the fullback position and paige was an exceptional blocker. Both unselfish and team oriented, yet hardly ever mentioned by the fans.

I have yet to see anyone mention Andra Franklin, and only one mention AJ Duhe. Franklin was like a poor mans Earl Cambell. He was a great change of pace back with Nathan. I guess if I had to name one player though it would have to be Jim "crash" Jenson. He could play every position on the team. He was 3rd string QB, WR, FB, TE, could play HB, and probably OL if ya ask him. He just had the will to win.

OH yeah and another one who got alot of the leagues notice but still has to be mentioned, for leading the league in rushing for 10 straight years and averaging a unbelievable 6.7 yards per carry for his whole career, was the mighty "TOUCHDOWN RONNIE BROWN".....oh never mind I was just getting out of my time machine. :wink:

And ya can't forget big ol Pete Johnson. That big bull dozer made LBs consider career changes. He was better in Cincy the years before we got him, but he was still a monster while here.

Offerdahl was my fave player, but you could hardly say he was under-rated--I would have to go with T Paige, H Green or M Fernandez

David Overstreet. He was exhilarating while we had him.

RIP

Edited for spelling.

Awsi Dooger said:
Crunch, agreed it was a spectacularly entertaining game. I just think it revealed two flawed teams who were destined to be booted the following week in Cincinnati. In the playoffs I love to handicap and highlight vulnerability. Falling behind 24-zip at home demonstrated remarkable vulnerability, as did blowing a 24-0 lead. Admittedly, my memories and evaluation of that game are blurred by the blockbuster fight that immediately preceded it, between my USC row goddess girlfriend and myself driving back to LA after the Fiesta Bowl vs. Penn State. I think we had one 5 minute truce and she even won that one.

My alltime Fin underrated has predictably not been mentioned yet. Bill Stanfill was a perennial Prop Bowler in an era of great DEs. I'll always believe Stanfill and Dick Anderson were the two premier defenders of our No Name era, despite Buoniconti's induction. A neck injury, subsequent ugly dispute with the franchise, and Stanfill's low key media style shouldn't detract from the best overall DE the Dolphins have ever had.

I dont consider high round picks in the underated category.Stanfill and Duhe were high picks.Both could make the alltime Dolphin team therefore they would not be underated IMO.

kingnate85 said:
Hah, Darrius Rucker...you know I sent him an email once asking him if he was a Dolphins fan or what the deal was with those lyrics. He never responded though.
He's a huge Dolphins fan. Had the pleasure of meeting him once and we talked about the Dolphins the whole time.

rtwelve said:
john offerdahl or however you spell it.

Yes,and McDuffie, Reggie Roby, Gadsen, Strock, Higgie and several others also already mentioned......................

Back
Top Bottom