The New NFL - Positional Value - NFL Draft Round 1 value | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The New NFL - Positional Value - NFL Draft Round 1 value

The highest % of hits goes to teams who build their core first, rather than take their QB first.

Rather than asking a raw QB to save their jobs from the poor roster that they've assembled, smart Front Offices assemble the better roster first so that the youngster isnt overwhelmed... but some folks believe in Magic beans... and those poor QBs get ruined.

The highest % of hits goes to teams who build their core first, rather than take their QB first.

Rather than asking a raw QB to save their jobs from the poor roster that they've assembled, smart Front Offices assemble the better roster first so that the youngster isnt overwhelmed... but some folks believe in Magic beans... and those poor QBs get ruined.

You are missing the point of the discussion.

The NFL has shifted over the years. The discussion is about what has change and shifted as far as player value and where you could get the best value for the resources you have. Rule changes, offenses, player skill has evolved rapidly over the last decade and many (I will include myself) still think the same way. I was trying to get a discussion going about these changes since we have so many knowledgeable draft posters, many of who bring a unique perspective. NPB has put in a good amount of work and it is fascinating, Awsi has provided numerous articles on the topic, J-off has a very unique perspective on athletes and is well researched. I appreciate these posters offering their insight as I would love to know more myself.

Prove it...

You are missing the point of the discussion.

The NFL has shifted over the years. The discussion is about what has change and shifted as far as player value and where you could get the best value for the resources you have. Rule changes, offenses, player skill has evolved rapidly over the last decade and many (I will include myself) still think the same way. I was trying to get a discussion going about these changes since we have so many knowledgeable draft posters, many of who bring a unique perspective. NPB has put in a good amount of work and it is fascinating, Awsi has provided numerous articles on the topic, J-off has a very unique perspective on athletes and is well researched. I appreciate these posters offering their insight as I would love to know more myself.
I think the biggest factor in the shift toward drafting QBs early in the first round was the implementation of the rookie wage scale. The reward of hitting on a QB far outweighs the risk of picking a bust at the position unlike back in the days of ungodly signing bonus money for unproven rookie QBs. Teams no longer have to be as conservative in the first round with the QB position. Proof of this is the Cardinals just drafted QBs with top ten picks in consecutive years. That would have been impossible and unheard of before 2011.

I think the biggest factor in the shift toward drafting QBs early in the first round was the implementation of the rookie wage scale. The reward of hitting on a QB far outweighs the risk of picking a bust at the position unlike back in the days of ungodly signing bonus money for unproven rookie QBs. Teams no longer have to be as conservative in the first round with the QB position. Proof of this is the Cardinals just drafted QBs with top ten picks in consecutive years. That would have been impossible and unheard of before 2011.
This is a great point and holy **** Im so close to pinning an actual number on all of this.... Gimme a couple of days guys... just a couple of days...

Good post. I agree on most of what the OP concluded. I think pass blocking tackles are vital as that relates to the success of the passing game.

I think you still have to be flexible in your thinking based on talent. The guard Nelson on Indy is an example.

I think those tight ends who can block and be a mismatch in coverage are extremely valuable. Watching Kittle with SF, that type.

I find it odd that so many posters point to Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes and then miss the fact that both teams were already VERY GOOD before these guys were taken... in the middle of the round.
Almost as if they think we are also VERY GOOD and that a magic beans QB will suddenly make us as good as the Chiefs or the Ravens.
I attribute this to childish impatience and a belief in Tua magic. So... you think differently? Fair enough, but at least take a look at your own motivations and then try to tell me that you aren't grasping at any theory that allows you to pick Tua with a clear conscience...
I watch these discussions and I'm left with the belief that the desire for a particular answer is influencing which 'study' or 'theory' you choose to push.

Just my 2 cents, as always.

One thing remains true. No matter who we pick with our top pick, half the board will be very upset because we didn't pick the player they thought we should have drafted. There's been several threads asking about who we should pick with our 3 1st round picks.......regardless of how many people has responded, I'm still waiting to see TWO posters pick the same 3 players.

Everyone here wants us to win. We just have different views as to how to build the team. I see good points on both sides but at the end of the day there's nothing we can do about it other than to hope for the best.

One thing remains true. No matter who we pick with our top pick, half the board will be very upset because we didn't pick the player they thought we should have drafted. There's been several threads asking about who we should pick with our 3 1st round picks.......regardless of how many people has responded, I'm still waiting to see TWO posters pick the same 3 players.

Everyone here wants us to win. We just have different views as to how to build the team. I see good points on both sides but at the end of the day there's nothing we can do about it other than to hope for the best.

Mostly true...

But there are also several defined camps here.

There are the Tua at all cost guys, and then there's the draft three linemen camp... and even though it is smaller, there is the draft three skill players and ignore the line camp (these guys mostly play FFL).

We've had so many arguments over these ideas that I know which guys will 'like' which posts.

It's kind of a Circle Jerk.

Wild in the streets!!! Runnin runnin...

Mostly true...

But there are also several defined camps here.

There are the Tua at all cost guys, and then there's the draft three linemen camp... and even though it is smaller, there is the draft three skill players and ignore the line camp (these guys mostly play FFL).

We've had so many arguments over these ideas that I know which guys will 'like' which posts.

It's kind of a Circle Jerk.

Wild in the streets!!! Runnin runnin...
Well, I think the team needs to be open minded. I've seen a poster said he'd never draft a WR or a RB before the 4th round. I guess that means if Jerry Rice and Randy Moss are there he'd pass on them. If Jim Brown and Walter Payton were there he'd pass on them too.

You have to be open minded and be able to adjust to how the draft is going. One thing I want is value with every pick as much as possible. I agree some people make up their mind about who they want by October when the draft is in April.

The fact remains, that you don't pass on a franchise QB when presented with the opportunity. A great QB can "outlive" a poor front office or poor coaching staff. No organization in their right mind puts off pulling the trigger on the most important position in all of professional sports in order to "build their core first".

The fact remains, that you don't pass on a franchise QB when presented with the opportunity. A great QB can "outlive" a poor front office or poor coaching staff. No organization in their right mind puts off pulling the trigger on the most important position in all of professional sports in order to "build their core first".

That isnt a fact, it is merely your opinion.

Just like it is your opinion which one of these QBs is a 'franchise QB'.

Your 'logic' is merely cover for your desire to take a specific QB first and damn the torpedos.

Back
Top Bottom