***The NHL Trade Deadline Thread*** | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The NHL Trade Deadline Thread***

Campbell and 7th rd pick for Bernier for 1st rd pick. Brad Richards and Holmqvist to Dallas.

Where are all the hockey fans!!!!!!!

Hossa to Pittsburgh is the final move I believe

Big names moved too. Hossa, Campbell, Richards, Foote, Forsberg re-signed. The East is wide open. Whoever the "sacraficial lamb," is to come out of the East I hope can atleast make it competitive in the finals.

Marc andre bergeron to the ducks for a 3rd...addition by subtraction. No more swiss cheese D. Maybe guys like Pronger, neids, schneider, beauchemin can cover him up more; make him look a little better and allow him to use that cannon shot.

The Leafs got rid of some dead wood for draft picks which is exactly what the doctor ordered. Hall Gill for a 2nd and a 5th is highway robbery. Hearing Cliff talk after the deadline, you would think Kubina, McCabe and Sundin are next, as soon as the season is over.

While Pittsburgh got better short term, I think Pierre McGuire raised an excellent point when he said that by trading good young role players, they are in danger of becoming Tampa Bay lite in the long run. If Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa eat up 30% of your payroll, which is what is going to happen, you're going to have some patchwork players on the defensive end, and in nets.

Ottawa is in trouble. I think Paddock will be gone soon, and Murray will try to cover his tail, but fall on his face. Once again I agree with Pierre, they're the most fragile team in the East, even with Martin Lapointe - who was scratched at times by the Hawks. As for the Habs, I think Gainey was rewarded tonight by Chris Higgins. He can be just as good as Marian Hossa in time, and you can't give away young assets for rental players.

The East is wide open but I wouldn't want to be facing the Bruins and the Caps in the first round. Something about youthful exuberance and trying to stop Alexander Ovechkin in a 7 game series. In the West, I would be a bit uncomfortable with getting the Avs out of the gate. They've got first round upset mojo galore.

well the canucks didn't do much,well many other team did.
I think montreal made a bad move trading huet because price is a great young goalie but
im not sure if he ready to handle the spotlight in the a hockey pressured market.
honestly i was surprised when i heard hossa went to pitsburg but i was even more shocked when i saw what they gave up Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen and Angelo Esposito and a first round pick,comon that a lot for a guy who might not even stay.
As for dallas i dont like the trade im not sure why i dont like it.

The Leafs got rid of some dead wood for draft picks which is exactly what the doctor ordered. Hall Gill for a 2nd and a 5th is highway robbery. Hearing Cliff talk after the deadline, you would think Kubina, McCabe and Sundin are next, as soon as the season is over.

While Pittsburgh got better short term, I think Pierre McGuire raised an excellent point when he said that by trading good young role players, they are in danger of becoming Tampa Bay lite in the long run. If Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa eat up 30% of your payroll, which is what is going to happen, you're going to have some patchwork players on the defensive end, and in nets.

Ottawa is in trouble. I think Paddock will be gone soon, and Murray will try to cover his tail, but fall on his face. Once again I agree with Pierre, they're the most fragile team in the East, even with Martin Lapointe - who was scratched at times by the Hawks. As for the Habs, I think Gainey was rewarded tonight by Chris Higgins. He can be just as good as Marian Hossa in time, and you can't give away young assets for rental players.

The East is wide open but I wouldn't want to be facing the Bruins and the Caps in the first round. Something about youthful exuberance and trying to stop Alexander Ovechkin in a 7 game series. In the West, I would be a bit uncomfortable with getting the Avs out of the gate. They've got first round upset mojo galore.

Great Post!!! What u think Bout Vinny Prospal

I'm a Sabres fan which is the equivalent of a Marlins or an old Expos fan in terms of losing guys. Though Ottawa at some point has to get a goalie. Emery has had moments but he's not a guy to get it done. That's the same reason I don't think Detroit will get it done. IMO, teams in the East just gotta get in and they've really got a chance.

I'll post this now and once it happens because I believe it's inevitable from the last few offseasons; what is the NHL going to do when the next lockout happens?

Great post Pinky!

I think the Penguins are trying to win it this year to be honest and I think they made a disastrous blunder today. They've been red hot the last month or so without Syd and they are getting him back soon. That is better then adding at the deadline! They rolled the dice HUGE today and IMO crapped out. You don't blow up your chemistry AND roll out young roll players AND give up a pick to get a guy that might stay a month and a half.

You are right about the Tampa comparison as well. What if they do sign Hossa? All of a sudden Hossa is eating up 8 million, Syd's making 8 million and Malkin could be worth 10-11 by the time they get around to having to do his deal. They are screwed IMO and they got greedy. They should have rolled with what they had and added something in the offseason without having to give up a bunch of assets.

I'm surprised Paddock was not fired between periods tonight. It was fun watching my Bruins frustrate the hell out of them for 60 minutes. They had nothing. They were not working hard at all.

BTW...my Bruins are getting healthy all of a sudden! If Patrice comes back this year for the playoffs (I don't want him to rush of course) they could shock someone in the playoffs with a hot Timmah.

I think Gainey did the right thing. They are ahead of schedule and he knows it. If they push this year and make it to the East Finals it is gravy. Let Price get his feet wet. they have some damn good young players and doing a "Penguins" would have been a mistake...patience will win them a Cup.

Great Post!!! What u think Bout Vinny Prospal

They couldn't convince Floppa to come back, so they settled for Vinny. He'll line up on the left of Briere, and is a decent 2nd line winger who should give Philly a boost. Nonetheless, if the Flyers are going to do anything this spring, I think Umberger, Carter and Richards are going to have to catch fire.

I'm a Sabres fan which is the equivalent of a Marlins or an old Expos fan in terms of losing guys. Though Ottawa at some point has to get a goalie. Emery has had moments but he's not a guy to get it done. That's the same reason I don't think Detroit will get it done. IMO, teams in the East just gotta get in and they've really got a chance.

I'll post this now and once it happens because I believe it's inevitable from the last few offseasons; what is the NHL going to do when the next lockout happens?

I'm optimistic about the NHL's future, because of the new generation. As long as Bettman and his cronies, realize that the Sunbelt market is dried up, and should be cleaned before there is any talk of expansion, we should be okay.

They need to rack in TV revenues in the States, and according to the Sports Business Journal, they have held preliminary conversations with ESPN about returning to its secondary network, ESPN2, which is important considering the institution that ESPN is down south of the border. The revenue sharing model helps teams like the Carolina Hurricanes, who lost more than $130 million over 10 seasons, but, according to Rutherford, have a chance to become a stable operation in the next three to five years. Your Sabres have managed to stay alive, after being an inch away from leaving Buffalo.

Another important point is that you'll see the balance of power at NHLPA shifting to former players. Some of them went thru the lockout and saw how devastating it was, not only for them, but for the league in general. They wouldn't allow another lockout, especially with the cap augmenting in proportion with revenues every year.

Great post Pinky!

I think the Penguins are trying to win it this year to be honest and I think they made a disastrous blunder today. They've been red hot the last month or so without Syd and they are getting him back soon. That is better then adding at the deadline! They rolled the dice HUGE today and IMO crapped out. You don't blow up your chemistry AND roll out young roll players AND give up a pick to get a guy that might stay a month and a half.

You are right about the Tampa comparison as well. What if they do sign Hossa? All of a sudden Hossa is eating up 8 million, Syd's making 8 million and Malkin could be worth 10-11 by the time they get around to having to do his deal. They are screwed IMO and they got greedy. They should have rolled with what they had and added something in the offseason without having to give up a bunch of assets.

I'm surprised Paddock was not fired between periods tonight. It was fun watching my Bruins frustrate the hell out of them for 60 minutes. They had nothing. They were not working hard at all.

BTW...my Bruins are getting healthy all of a sudden! If Patrice comes back this year for the playoffs (I don't want him to rush of course) they could shock someone in the playoffs with a hot Timmah.

I think Gainey did the right thing. They are ahead of schedule and he knows it. If they push this year and make it to the East Finals it is gravy. Let Price get his feet wet. they have some damn good young players and doing a "Penguins" would have been a mistake...patience will win them a Cup.

As usual, we agree. :hi5: I completely forgot about Patrice. I think you sit him out for the rest of the year, but still make a run with Timmah this year. Then you try to unload Murray's salary this offseason, have Tukka compete with the goalies in TC next year, and hope Lucic, Alberts, Kessel, Krejcic continue to blossom. With that, and provided Tukka is the goalie we think he is, I don't see why the Bruins can't go from a 7-8 seed to a 3-4 seed.

Back
Top Bottom