The numbers do not add up for Mike White to come back for 2024 season | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The numbers do not add up for Mike White to come back for 2024 season

I might get heat for this because Miami currently has more pressing needs, but I ****ing love Penix Jr. in this draft. I doubt he’s available when Miami picks in the 2nd round, but if he was, I’d snatch him up in a heartbeat and have him learn behind Tua. In that scenario, Miami could take the best O-lineman or D-lineman in round 1 and then focus on the post draft wave of free agency to address lingering needs.

Tua’s about to get his extension and is our guy moving forward but we need to get a young, dynamic QB on this roster who can step in and win some games should Tua go down. Green Bay didn’t need a QB when they took Jordan Love and that worked out pretty well. I’d like to see Miami adopt a similar philosophy.

BTW...

Keep in mind that White's salary is only 3.5m. His cap number is a bit higher, but that's money he's already recieved. His true cost is only 3.5m, and that's really low for a vet back up.

I might get heat for this because Miami currently has more pressing needs, but I ****ing love Penix Jr. in this draft. I doubt he’s available when Miami picks in the 2nd round, but if he was, I’d snatch him up in a heartbeat and have him learn behind Tua. In that scenario, Miami could take the best O-lineman or D-lineman in round 1 and then focus on the post draft wave of free agency to address lingering needs.

Tua’s about to get his extension and is our guy moving forward but we need to get a young, dynamic QB on this roster who can step in and win some games should Tua go down. Green Bay didn’t need a QB when they took Jordan Love and that worked out pretty well. I’d like to see Miami adopt a similar philosophy.
No because if they draft Penix Jr. that high it would mean they view him as a possible replacement for Tua in a year or two instead of always being the backup QB to him. So that would make no sense especially if they sign Tua to a huge contract extension. It would only make sense if they still have doubts about Tua and don't plan on signing him to a huge contract extension this offseason. It's all a moot point though because I doubt Penix Jr. will even make it out of the 1st round. When the Packers drafted Love in the 1st round Rodgers was an older QB and they knew he would have to be replaced in a few years which is what happened.

If a QB with talent drops to a later round, maybe I take them if the value is there and they can have time to develop. That scenario aside, there is no way I'm taking a QB in round 1 or 2.

I’m not a big Mike White fan but I think Tua likes the QB room and normally when the starter likes the room it doesn’t change. I could see Skylar promoted to 2 And Tua’s brother coming in as the 3rd string.

White's cap number of $5.2 million is simply too high for an unproven backup that will never start in Miami. He threw six passes in mop up duty last season and his sole incompletion was a pick six.

Tua played all of the games. When did you want him to play? I want to pay whoever McD thinks gives us the best chance to win should Tua not be able to play. Goddamnit. Now I need to go find some wood to knock on. Thanks!

Different time and different team....this offense is built around what Tua does best and it's not for every QB just like not every offense is for Tua
There are QBs out there that would be very efficient in this offense. We can do way better than Mike White.

I dont pretend to know what the team does but if they view Skylar as a backup and never anything more then they should be pitching a mid to late pick on a QB they think could grow into starting caliber with time, coaching and experience. Of course they have to keep them under wraps to avoid poaching. Skylar may even have modest trade value.

I suspect every team is constantly looking to upgrade the 3rd QB. It's surprising how few do

There are QBs out there that would be very efficient in this offense. We can do way better than Mike White.
Well, since we have never seen White operate within this offense, that seems like a declaration without evidence. Many thought Bridgewater was a great choice for a backup, including you IIRC, and that was an unmitigated disaster.

Back
Top Bottom