The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 127 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

Unfortunately, there's no particular reason to believe that Hernandez will hit well enough to hold a major league job. In 2669 minor league plate appearances, over 6 seasons (660 games), he posted a 268/312/353 for BA/OBP/SLG. (Source: Baseball Cube) That's more than enough sample size to classify him as a lousy hitter.

Realistically, he's a backup middle infielder, late-inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. Nothing more.
Exactly. Hes basically a lesser rey ordonez and i dont know how much lesser you can be then that on offense! :rolleyes:

It gets better, we're still negotiating with Victor Zambrano! Shoot me now :tantrum:

Hey at least you still should be the favorite to win the division.

Philli and My Marlins probably end up in a battle for second, with Atlanta and Washington bringing up the rear.

Peter Gammons on Mike and Mike in the morning (ESPN Radio) this morning. Not sure if anyone else heard it... Gammons actually DEFENDED the Mets.. They were going over the Hot Stove - Winners and Losers... He said he refuses to call the Mets losers, said Omar did a great job with the bullpen and was absolutely right not over spending on the starting pitching that was out there. He also said the Mets were "So good" that he feels the pitching will be fine until Omar can go out and acquire someone in season

I would go so far as to call us offseason winners:

- we improved an already dynamic lineup by adding a lefty bashing hit machine in Moises Alou. Hes not 30 anymore but we know his obp/ops/ba will be strong and he boosts the weakest part of our lineup, hitting lefties.
- We added depth to the pen making the best pen even deeper. Can Schoewenweis replace Bradford? Maybe, maybe not. But if he fails, we're going to have some guys ready and willing to fight it out for that role and we added a potential beast in Burgos who should be this years julio; i.e. a guy who tends to overthrow leading to wildness that peterson will teach how to pitch with a little more control. Julio learned to take 3-4mph off his heater to get better location and I expectthat he will teach Burgos the same things.
- We didnt handicap our payroll for years to come by signing anyone to a ridiculous contract. We didnt restrict what we can do in next years Fa market or the year after that because we decided that just because everyone else is overpaying for bottom tier gabrage like Weaver or Lilly when we didnt have to. We explored the trade front, went after the 2 guys who were worth pursuing in FA and on one we just got outbid by a ridiculous bid (Dice K), and outbid by another ridiculous contract on Zito.
- We hung on to all our top tier prospects and this is as important as anything on this list. It sends a message that we're willing to be patient and develop our core or at least wait until there is a deal that makes sense for us. If we're playing poker, Omar shows once again why we want him on our side.

People will point to our SP as a potential weakness but look at the stats:
Last year, our five 2007 starters totaled these numbers for the Mets:

Code:
GS W L IP H ER BB SO K/9 WHIP ERA
91 40 25 532.0 515 243 189 410 6.94 1.32 4.11

The horror!

ERA & WHIP would each rank 3rd in NL.

The only REAL problem, is the IP. But that's through 91 games. That would project to 947 over 162 games. Eighth in the NL.

But we have the best and deepest bullpen in baseball (again).

HEALTH is our legit concern.

We didnt get worse, we got better and deeper. Other teams made a bigger splash with names (Freddy Garcia, Braves pen), but all of those players have questions. Garcia carries a 5 era. Rafael Soriano is comin off a serious arm surgery. Mike Gonzalez broke down in september last year. So much like everyone points to alou, Glavine, and Duque being 164 years old or whatever, well all these guys have questions too and they dont carry the productive track record our players with questions carry.

Peter Gammons on Mike and Mike in the morning (ESPN Radio) this morning. Not sure if anyone else heard it... Gammons actually DEFENDED the Mets.. They were going over the Hot Stove - Winners and Losers... He said he refuses to call the Mets losers, said Omar did a great job with the bullpen and was absolutely right not over spending on the starting pitching that was out there. He also said the Mets were "So good" that he feels the pitching will be fine until Omar can go out and acquire someone in season

I would go so far as to call us offseason winners:

- we improved an already dynamic lineup by adding a lefty bashing hit machine in Moises Alou. Hes not 30 anymore but we know his obp/ops/ba will be strong and he boosts the weakest part of our lineup, hitting lefties.
- We added depth to the pen making the best pen even deeper. Can Schoewenweis replace Bradford? Maybe, maybe not. But if he fails, we're going to have some guys ready and willing to fight it out for that role and we added a potential beast in Burgos who should be this years julio; i.e. a guy who tends to overthrow leading to wildness that peterson will teach how to pitch with a little more control. Julio learned to take 3-4mph off his heater to get better location and I expectthat he will teach Burgos the same things.
- We didnt handicap our payroll for years to come by signing anyone to a ridiculous contract. We didnt restrict what we can do in next years Fa market or the year after that because we decided that just because everyone else is overpaying for bottom tier gabrage like Weaver or Lilly when we didnt have to. We explored the trade front, went after the 2 guys who were worth pursuing in FA and on one we just got outbid by a ridiculous bid (Dice K), and outbid by another ridiculous contract on Zito.
- We hung on to all our top tier prospects and this is as important as anything on this list. It sends a message that we're willing to be patient and develop our core or at least wait until there is a deal that makes sense for us. If we're playing poker, Omar shows once again why we want him on our side.

People will point to our SP as a potential weakness but look at the stats:
Last year, our five 2007 starters totaled these numbers for the Mets:

Code:
GS W L IP H ER BB SO K/9 WHIP ERA
91 40 25 532.0 515 243 189 410 6.94 1.32 4.11

The horror!

ERA & WHIP would each rank 3rd in NL.

The only REAL problem, is the IP. But that's through 91 games. That would project to 947 over 162 games. Eighth in the NL.

But we have the best and deepest bullpen in baseball (again).

HEALTH is our legit concern.

We didnt get worse, we got better and deeper. Other teams made a bigger splash with names (Freddy Garcia, Braves pen), but all of those players have questions. Garcia carries a 5 era. Rafael Soriano is comin off a serious arm surgery. Mike Gonzalez broke down in september last year. So much like everyone points to alou, Glavine, and Duque being 164 years old or whatever, well all these guys have questions too and they dont carry the productive track record our players with questions carry.

I tend to agree, but I still think we could have done a better job with the pitching.

Maybe its just the old Met fan coming out in me again.

Good read.

Maybe its just the old Met fan coming out in me again.
It's just not you, trust me, me and a bunch of Mets fans at work are the same way and we laugh about it because we know it's not intentional but more instinctive because what we have gone through for the last 20 years.

talk of marlins/phils winnin second place? i guess everyone hasnt followed the nl east the past 15 years... braves will some how find a way to compete if they stay healthy. and yeah, the mets do win the divison again. go METS!

talk of marlins/phils winnin second place? i guess everyone hasnt followed the nl east the past 15 years... braves will some how find a way to compete if they stay healthy. and yeah, the mets do win the divison again. go METS!

The Braves are in decline, and they havent improved over the offseason very much if any at all.

They dont have the talent now to compete with The Mets established players. They dont have enough talent to compete with Florida's young players, and they dont have enough talent to hit with Philli even though neither team has great pitching.

You also have to remember last year after Florida put together our starting staff in full we were as good as any other team in the NL, and had a better record from that point on that most of them also. Philli went on a tear, and we will see if that was luck or if they really are that good.

Unless Florida and Philli get banged up a lot I dont see Atlanta with any chance to finish better than 4th this year. Unless the Jones's have amazing years.

Back
Top Bottom