The Official Harvey Unga Thread | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Harvey Unga Thread

It's going to really tick some people off around here when they see the deal Ronnie signs elsewhere. It won't be an outlandish deal I don't think, and there will be some fan backlash about not bringing him back...much as you see backlash at not bringing Jason Taylor back.

I think it will be much worse than not bringing Taylor back.

Actually yeah a little like what Jerome looked like in the last few years before he retired.

I hope the Dolphins look at Jourdan Brooks out of Rutgers in the 6th or 7th round. He is a powerful runner with deceptive speed. I'm not sure if you've heard of him, but I hope the Dolphins have. His skill set will translate to the NFL level.

I think it will be much worse than not bringing Taylor back.

I can't imagine it being THAT bad. I think most folks have come to terms with Ronnie's inability to stay healthy and the Trifecta's penchant to jettison injury prone players. Then again, maybe I'm wrong?

Well Ricky is getting old, Ronnie is injury prone and Pat Cobbs is coming back from a serious injury. So upgrading the runningback position is critical.

So currently it looks like we possibly be giving up a 4th round pick on this guy out of next years draft? Other possible targets in next years draft are TE and FS. I would throw OLB into that pool right now too until we see what we have.\

How much better is Unga than one of the last cuts by another team in August?

Miami should be able to wait till next year when they'd have more options, but if they opt not to wait then that says plenty about how they view Cobbs injury and Hilliard/Sheets potential to step up. The conservative bet is that either Ricky or Ronnie disappoints in 2010 due to injury/age falloff, so the other runners better show some potential or you'd have to consider overdrafting Unga in order to land him. Being interesting in him doesn't mean much to me at this point because it's the best way to see what he was like coming into the league. When he works out for you in a few years as a FA you will have something to compare that data to.

Actually yeah a little like what Jerome looked like in the last few years before he retired.

I would hope he was better than that. Bettis didn't average more than four yards a carry the last four years of his career. Overall, though, I agree with the assessment that he appears very durable and is workman like. Has some wiggle, though not a lot. Then again, this offensive line is so good pretty much anyone who can stay upright can produce behind it. Would like to see what Ubga brings in the passing game, though Henning doesn't really give either Ronnie or Ricky a lot to do in the passing game. This is particularly a shame in Brown's case, given how good his hands are. There's no reason Brown shouldn't be getting two screen passes a game. A lot of people like to beat up on Henning, which in my opinion just foolish. Overall I think he does a very, very good job. But I'd like to see the "feed the studs" philosophy stretched to those guys in the passing game. A shotgun formation with both guys next to Henne would present the defense with a pretty big conundrum. You fake it to one guy and the defense has to react to it because, hey, that's Ricky Williams. He's dangerous.

Remind anyone else of J. Bettis? Nifty feet - especially for his size.

i think he's got pretty good feet...but lacks balance...and in that 09 video i don't see any burst whatsoever...he'll fall forward on contact but guys are on him in space pretty quick on that college tape...and in the nfl it will be even faster...

i wouldn't use a top 4 round pick on him...looks like a rb/fb tweener to me...with pass catching abilities...didn't exactly get open on his routes either in one on one coverage

How are his hands compare to the RB currently on the roster? his blocking?

I watched te FSU- BYU Unga was definitely slowed by injury and not FSU pathetic defense, his durabiltiy cause me some concern.

Concerned about durability on a guy that played in 38 of his last 39 games, averaging 20.7 touches per game the whole time?

Ok.

yeah i don't see durability as an issue...i see burst and acceleration as a problem...he's got a little wiggle and he's a load

You know at any given point in the NFL, there really aren't that many running backs that are 100 percent healthy. Maybe Week 1 and 2. After that, they're all dealing with something. The guys that are the best tend to be the guys that can push through and be productive. For all that Harvey Unga was supposedly hurting in that Florida State game he rushed 10 times for 97 yards and a TD. I'd say that's pushing through and finding a way to stay productive. The injured times will come for every NFL running back, and so will the healthy times. But which guys play through both, and stay productive all the while?

I don't see some dynamic talent in Unga. I see NFL viability, the ability to improve, and the ability to have value for a team. I don't see knocking his durability for him having played through pain and staying productive.

Back
Top Bottom