The Official Harvey Unga Thread | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Harvey Unga Thread

I agree that a 3rd is too high but I wonder if the bidding could be fierce enough to up the price given his durability level and the likelihood of going to 18-game seasons.

I haven't watched that much 2007 BYU footage lately but I'm curious about what weight Unga was playing back then when he gained 1227 yards and 13 TDs on 244 carries (5.0 ypc) and he also caught 44 passes for 655 yards and 4 TDs. That's 1900 all purpose yards and 17 TDs for a college player on a 13 game schedule. Absolutely phenomenal. He caught 42 balls and had 15 total TDs in 2008 as well, but his total yardage was down to 1440. What changed? Had he started gaining weight? Would he look more dynamic at a lower weight again? Something to ponder.

I work With Harvey's dad and live here in Provo where BYU plays and have watched him for the last three years. I can tell you that in 2007 he played in the mid 220's and he had a lot more burst and speed. This last season I would always tell his dad that Harvey was getting soft because you couldn't see the muscle definition in his arms. He had a bad ankle injury that he played through in 2008 and then a bad shoulder, wrist, and hand in 2009 but he always played through them, I'm not sure but I think he only missed one game in three years. His dad wouldn't say it but I think he gained the weight due to injuries and to become more durable.

I work With Harvey's dad and live here in Provo where BYU plays and have watched him for the last three years. I can tell you that in 2007 he played in the mid 220's and he had a lot more burst and speed. This last season I would always tell his dad that Harvey was getting soft because you couldn't see the muscle definition in his arms. He had a bad ankle injury that he played through in 2008 and then a bad shoulder, wrist, and hand in 2009 but he always played through them, I'm not sure but I think he only missed one game in three years. His dad wouldn't say it but I think he gained the weight due to injuries and to become more durable.

And there you have it. Suspicions confirmed.

he looked faster and leaner in the 07 stuff i looked at...i still wouldn't say he had nfl burst though...i like what ck said...not a dynamic talent...and i concur

i think shonn greene has more burst and quick acceleration...more sudden

i'm seeing more lex hilliard with some pass catching skills...but i think hilliard accelerates into the hole faster...maybe better feet than hilliard

I'm biased in the situation because I know his family. I would love for Harvey to go to us and pound the ball. I'm not very good at finding clips of plays but if anyone can find a clip of him against Utah 2007 towards end of game, ronnie brown like explosion! Thst being said I'm not sure that I would give a third for him, probably a fifth. From talking to his dad it sounds like St. Louis or Kansas City are going to give a third and it would be St. Louis.

This is the game you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CChVoqKo78M

I believe at the end of it there's a clip of Unga decleating Robert Johnson into the end zone.

Yes, that is the one. Reminds me of when Ronnie ran over that dude from the raiders, BOOM! I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that Harvey packs a solid punch and that he always falls forward, he hardly ever loses yards. I believe that is one of his under rated skills, is that he always finds a way to gain yards.

The Dolphins last week attended workouts for the top two players in Thursday's supplemental draft: BYU running back Harvey Unga (Miami already is deep at that position) and Illinois 6-2, 315-pound defensive tackle Josh Price-Brent, who had three sacks and three forced fumbles in 12 starts last season but was ruled academically ineligible. ``He's a good defensive lineman, a third- or fourth-round pick,'' said former Cowboys executive Gil Brandt of NFL.com. ``But I doubt Bill Parcells would take a player in the supplemental draft.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/...florida-marlins-to-be-open.html#ixzz0tgRdg33y

Didn't Parcells give a 2nd round pick for Drew Henson in the supplemental Draft, if he did that why is it so far fetched to believe he will pull the trigger in this year Supplemental Draft

If I had to put money down on who this regime would take in the Supplemental Draft, I'm going with the big NT out of Illinois.

Parcells never gave up a 2nd rounder for Drew Henson in the supplemental draft... and Drew Henson was never in the supplemental draft to begin with...

I don't know why in the hell some of you keep repeating it....

Henson was drafted by the Texans in the 6th round of the regular draft...... Dallas traded a 3rd rounder to the Texans in exchange for Henson 2 years later....

Dolphins could land Unga in tomorrows supplemental draft

A few weeks ago, multiple sources reported that the Dolphins were showing interest in former BYU running back Harvey Unga. If that interest is genuine, we could see Miami make a strong bid for Unga in tomorrow's suplemental draft.

Even though they are already set at running back for the 2010 season, with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams ready to carry the load for at least one more year, the future at the position could sure use some assurance.

Unga is a burly 244 pound power back, who fits the Parcells' mold like a glove. His size indicates he may be suited for fullback at the pro level, but his athleticism and receiving skills have scouts projecting him to stay put running back.

Yes, Unga could be an intriguing successor to either Ronnie or Ricky, but even if the Dolphins are sold, the sacrifice that may come with selecting him and the competing interest from other teams will likely prevent him from coming to Miami.

http://www.phinsphocus.com/2010-art...and-unga-in-tomorrows-sumplemental-draft.html

Parcells never gave up a 2nd rounder for Drew Henson in the supplemental draft... and Drew Henson was never in the supplemental draft to begin with...

I don't know why in the hell some of you keep repeating it....

Henson was drafted by the Texans in the 6th round of the regular draft...... Dallas traded a 3rd rounder to the Texans in exchange for Henson 2 years later....

Thank you.

Wasn't Chad Hutchinson a Supplemental Draft pick, pre-Parcells? That guy's eyes were so close together he looked like a baby flounder.

Believe me though, if Gil Brandt is right that Parcells would not take someone in the Supplemental Draft, I'm sure the Tuna has his reasons. In fact I believe I wrote a big article about those reasons just before the Dolphins wasted a pick on Manny Wright.

The whole Supplemental Draft process is riddled with imperfect information and improper perspective. You are forced to focus on one or two players in a vaccuum and that makes grading their worth more difficult. In the real draft you can choose not to use a certain pick on a player because you have this other player available that you like more. In the Supplemental Draft you're more prone to tunnel vision, over-focusing on a guy until you over-inflate his worth. Also, you've got no idea what you're giving up in next year's draft class because you haven't evaluated next year's class. Put those risks together with the fact that USUALLY when a guy is available in the Supplemental Draft (Unga an exception) there's some kind of red flag reason he is available, and the fact there's no Combine process that gives you apples-to-apples looks with previous prospects athletically and medically, it's a process fraught with risk. If the Dolphins decide not to take part as a matter of philosophy, I really wouldn't blame them.

That said I think Unga has shown a nice set of skills and characteristics and he's a guy I wouldn't mind having on my team. He's durable, very strong, good in short yardage, might be good for more than that, I think overall he's a better prospect than Lex Hilliard was, he keeps his head down and he plays through pain. If the NFL goes 18 game seasons and expanded rosters, his value becomes greater.

Back
Top Bottom