*The official National League wildcard thread* | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*The official National League wildcard thread*

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
I decided it would be a good idea to dedicate a thread to the national league wildcard. I am a Reds fan and I figure some of you guys are drawing interest to the Marlins now being within striking distance of the playoffs. Any how, I will update the standings every day for those of you who don't go to MLB site but care about baseball.

Team..............W-L....GB

San Diego.......67-65...-
Cincinnati.......67-66.....5
Philadelphia.....66-65...1
San Fransisco..65-67...2
Florida............63-66...2.5
Arizona...........64-68...3
Houston..........64-68...3.5
Atlanta............62-68...4
Milaukee..........62-70...5
Colorado..........61-70...5.5

EDIT: Standings current as of the end of August 29.

SF are strong closers and have been for the past decade or so. They are the team to watch.

I think Philly with die I don't trust them.

SD is the best team of the bunch.

My prediction is SD, but watch out for SF

MikeO said:
SF are strong closers and have been for the past decade or so. They are the team to watch.

SF is old. MLB is testing for greenies. I don't think the Giants make it.

RWhitney014 said:
SF is old. MLB is testing for greenies. I don't think the Giants make it.

its all about pitching and Schmidt and Lowry could be a strong 1-2 punch. Lowry is pitching very well right now. Very high level

MikeO said:

I agree, I don't trust the Phillies either. I think Cincy gets in the playoffs this year one way or another.

MikeO said:
its all about pitching and Schmidt and Lowry could be a strong 1-2 punch. Lowry is pitching very well right now. Very high level

You need more than two. Winning 2 out of every 5 games isn't going to do it. Cain might be their third, but that offense is going to stall, and no matter how good the pitching is, you still need runs.

Rocky Raccoon said:
I agree, I don't trust the Phillies either. I think Cincy gets in the playoffs this year one way or another.

I totally don't trust the Phillies but I am really rooting for them now.. I thought they were cooked long ago but Howard, Utley and the patchwork pitching staff are holding pretty well..

My D-backs are done. I think trading Shaun Green for a minor league lefty was pretty much Arizona throwing in the towel. We had a chance the last 2 weeks, but have played very poorly against SF, SD and LA.
SF is hot one day and very cold the next. Cant get there playing 500 baseball. SD has way underachieved this season. If they put it all together for one last push, they could get there. My money is actually on Cincy. I think they are playing like a bunch of guys with no pressure on them. The old reckless abondon style.
JMO

I think it's great how not a single person has given the Reds any credit for what they have done this year. GM Wayne Krimsky (sp?) is hands down the executive of the year. Did you guys know that since the all-star break, the Reds have either been tied for or in the lead for the wildcard. I just don't see them folding with only one month to go. They are my team and I am thrilled to be able to be excited about baseball again! Go Reds.

Reds new aquistions in 2006:

Starting posistion players

Brandon Phillips 2B /AVE .293 /HR 13 /RBI 62 /SB 21
Scott Hatteberg 1B /AVE .308/ HR 13/RBI 46
David Ross C /AVE /AVE .280/ HR 18/ RBI 44

Starting Pitching

Bronson Arroyo 10-9 3.52 ERA
Kyle Lohse

Bulpen

Gary Majeski
Eddie Guardado
Bill Bray
Rheal Cormier
Ryan Franklin
Scott Shoenweiss

All of those guys have contributed at one point or another and the Reds are primed to make a playoff run. GO REDS!

By the way;
*BUMP*
Phillies just lost to NYM in the first game of a day night double header.

Aqua I agree I dont think the Reds will dramatically fold, but they have been playing around 500 all year so I dont expect them to surge either. Which I think the winner will have to

I think the team that wins it will be the one to put a nice winning streak together, so Id look at the teams that have played hot and cold all season, and see which one makes a run

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I think it's great how not a single person has given the Reds any credit for what they have done this year. GM Wayne Krimsky (sp?) is hands down the executive of the year. Did you guys know that since the all-star break, the Reds have either been tied for or in the lead for the wildcard. I just don't see them folding with only one month to go. They are my team and I am thrilled to be able to be excited about baseball again! Go Reds.

Reds new aquistions in 2006:

Starting posistion players

Brandon Phillips 2B /AVE .293 /HR 13 /RBI 62 /SB 21
Scott Hatteberg 1B /AVE .308/ HR 13/RBI 46
David Ross C /AVE /AVE .280/ HR 18/ RBI 44

Starting Pitching

Bronson Arroyo 10-9 3.52 ERA
Kyle Lohse

Bulpen

Gary Majeski
Eddie Guardado
Bill Bray
Rheal Cormier
Ryan Franklin
Scott Shoenweiss

All of those guys have contributed at one point or another and the Reds are primed to make a playoff run. GO REDS!

By the way;
*BUMP*
Phillies just lost to NYM in the first game of a day night double header.

Krivsky's been very good, but Larry Beinfest has been better. When you have to sell off your entire team and still manage to bring in your starting lineup that's well in the playoff race while setting yourself up brilliantly for the future, you've done a great job. Krivsky's acquisitions, with the exception of Bray, Phillips, and Arroyo, are not going to be around long-term.

Meanwhile, Beinfest traded for Ramirez, Jacobs, Nolasco, Sanchez, drafted Uggla in the Rule 5 (finding an All Star in the Rule 5 wins it flat out), and finding guys like Olivo, Helms, Amezaga, and Borowski to contribute like they have is incredible. Either way, these guys are 1-2, but Beinfest was given the much harder task.

RWhitney014 said:
Krivsky's been very good, but Larry Beinfest has been better. When you have to sell off your entire team and still manage to bring in your starting lineup that's well in the playoff race while setting yourself up brilliantly for the future, you've done a great job. Krivsky's acquisitions, with the exception of Bray, Phillips, and Arroyo, are not going to be around long-term.

Meanwhile, Beinfest traded for Ramirez, Jacobs, Nolasco, Sanchez, drafted Uggla in the Rule 5 (finding an All Star in the Rule 5 wins it flat out), and finding guys like Olivo, Helms, Amezaga, and Borowski to contribute like they have is incredible. Either way, these guys are 1-2, but Beinfest was given the much harder task.

I think a lot of people think that we just went out and blindly aquired minor league players that had no talent in order to keep a cheap payroll

We didnt, we knew these guys had talent and could play well someday, it was just a matter of how soon

MikeO said:

I'm holding out hope that SD can catch the Dodgers.

Back
Top Bottom