*The official National League wildcard thread* | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*The official National League wildcard thread*

Yeah the Marlins are a huge suprise this year. I think this year is great for baseball because it is brining excitement to a lot of cities. Florida and Cincinnati were picked to be last in both of their division by almost everyone. However, I don't think you can give it to a guy who traded so many players for what seemed like nothing in return. The moves the Krivsky made single handedly kept the Reds in contention. I am very thankful of the job he has done.

P.S Both have been great and I'm not trying to take anything away from Beinfest.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Yeah the Marlins are a huge suprise this year. I think this year is great for baseball because it is brining excitement to a lot of cities. Florida and Cincinnati were picked to be last in both of their division by almost everyone. However, I don't think you can give it to a guy who traded so many players for what seemed like nothing in return. The moves the Krivsky made single handedly kept the Reds in contention. I am very thankful of the job he has done.

P.S Both have been great and I'm not trying to take anything away from Beinfest.

Here is the big question though

Did it seem like nothing because the players are bad, or because they hadnt been heard of yet?

IMO he knew what he was doing, he didnt just blindly trade for guys

Alex44 said:
Here is the big question though

Did it seem like nothing because the players are bad, or because they hadnt been heard of yet?

IMO he knew what he was doing, he didnt just blindly trade for guys

You may be right Alex. But you can't tell me that you were comfortable with the Becket trade and what not when it happend. I think Girardi just has those young guys playing the game the right way and it's just paying off.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
You may be right Alex. But you can't tell me that you were comfortable with the Becket trade and what not when it happend. I think Girardi just has those young guys playing the game the right way and it's just paying off.

But the GM didnt decide to trade everyone, its ownership

The GM just decides who to trade for once the owner says everything must go.

So IMO if the guy makes the right trades that means something

Alex44 said:
But the GM didnt decide to trade everyone, its ownership

The GM just decides who to trade for once the owner says everything must go.

So IMO if the guy makes the right trades that means something

Ture. Good point. I love how the Marlins are suceeding despite a $14 million payroll while the Yankees have 9 PLAYERS with a contract bigger than that. :lol:

Here is your winner:

Philadelphia.....65-65...1.5

:tongue:

Alex44 said:
I think a lot of people think that we just went out and blindly aquired minor league players that had no talent in order to keep a cheap payroll

We didnt, we knew these guys had talent and could play well someday, it was just a matter of how soon

Anyone with any baseball acumen saw that Beinfest orchestrated a brilliant offseason. It was just a tough pill to swallow because the players involved weren't one or two-year mercenaries like in 1997 but guys that had actually been here since 1998, '99, and 2000, not something we're used to.

Aqua4Ever04 said:

Alex may not be able to, but I certainly can.

Josh Beckett is immensely talented and Mike Lowell is one of the best Marlins all-time, both in production and longevity. But Beckett had been DL'ed 8 times, I think, from 2002-2005. This will be the first year he makes 30 starts in his career, and the blister problem wasn't going away in this humidity. More importantly, Lowell drastically underperformed last year to the point that he may have prevented us from making the playoffs, and we needed a way to trade his $9 million contract and still get something in return, and putting the two of them together allowed us to grab a huge return. Let's take a look.

Hanley Ramirez was touted as the best prospect in baseball by some, a 5-tool stud by others, and not ready for the big leagues by others. He's hitting .270 with 12 HR and 40-something RBI with 40+ SB and competent defense with a flair for the dramatic as a rookie. He's 6'3", so we expect his power, which ranges all over the field, to increase to 25-30 bombs a year. His errors (18 this year, I believe) occurred mostly in the first 6 weeks of the season and were usually on plays where he lost his focus. In other words, his defense has been reminiscent to Orlando Cabrera, 2002 vintage, when he committed 29 errors. In the years after, that number decreased to 18 to 15 to 7. I expect a similar progression for Hanley. He maintained a .340 average for almost two months, went into a prolonged slump, and has since kept his average around .270 with a .340 OBP. This is as a 22 year-old rookie.

Then there's Anibal Sanchez, who only shut out the Yankees in the Bronx in his major league debut. The guy's got an assortment of pitches, a great head on his shoulders, and a boatload of humility. As a 22 year-old rookie, he's 5-2 with a 3.41 ERA. Take out his one relief appearance, in which he got shelled, and he's got a 2.68 ERA as a starter. Bingo! Oh, and he and Miggy Cabrera are childhood friends from Maracay, Venezuela, and the difference in Miggy's demeanor since his buddy's been up has been notable to the tune of a .400 average in August with a team-record 31 RBI.

And just for kicks, Boy Wonder Epstein figured Guillermo Mota would be a good reliever, so we traded him for two fireballing relievers who have both been very strong in A-ball this summer.

I was comfortable with the trade at the time, if not disappointed that Beckett, one of my favorite players, was gone. Now that the two headliners in the deal have turned up aces for the Fish, I'm thrilled. Cabrera needed to move back to third, Lowell was not part of the future of this team, Beckett's got a 5 ERA and is giving up gopherballs like nobody's business, and we're closer to the playoffs than Boston is. Beckett and Lowell next year will make $15 million next year. Hanley and Anibal will make $750K and might outperform them. I'll take it.

Whitney your post was so long im not going to quote it :lol: but your 100% right

For all the great things Josh Johnson has done, and how great he will be in the future, my gut tells me Anibal will be better

RWhitney014 said:
And just for kicks, Boy Wonder Epstein figured Guillermo Mota would be a good reliever, so we traded him for two fireballing relievers who have both been very strong in A-ball this summer.

Theo may or may not have been involved in the Beckett/Lowell/Mota for Hanely/Sanchez/2 pitchers deal so you can't kill him for that move. Some reports say he was involved in the deal while others say he had nothing to do with it. Remember when the deal went down Theo had quit the organization.

Personally, I was all for getting Mota in the trade because he was very good in LA when Dave Wallace was the pitching coach so I figured you might get lightning in a bottle plus I wasn't comfortable with Taveras and Seanez so I figured why not add another bullpen arm in there. But then he traded Mota for Riske in part of the Crisp/Marte deal.

Theo then made a terrible move for Javy Lopez (the pitcher) for Riske. Apparently rumors were that the White Sox asked for Seanez but the Red Sox offered them Riske because they thought Seanez had something left in his tank. D'oh. Now look at Riske. So I have to kill Theo and the Sox FO for that terrible, god awful move.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I decided it would be a good idea to dedicate a thread to the national league wildcard. I am a Reds fan and I figure some of you guys are drawing interest to the Marlins now being within striking distance of the playoffs. Any how, I will update the standings every day for those of you who don't go to MLB site but care about baseball.

Team..............W-L....GB

Cincinnati.......67-64....-
San Diego.......66-64...0.5
Philadelphia.....65-65...1.5
San Fransisco..65-66...2
Florida............63-66...3
Arizona...........63-67...3.5
Houston..........63-68...4
Milaukee..........62-68...4.5
Atlanta............61-68...5
Colorado..........61-69...5.5

EDIT: Standings current as of 8/28 3:50 ET

The two teams I want no part of (I'm a Met fan) are the Marlins and Astros, they have the best pitching in the NL

Who do I think wins it! The Dodgers with the Padres winning the Division

NJFINSFAN1 said:
The two teams I want no part of (I'm a Met fan) are the Marlins and Astros, they have the best pitching in the NL

Who do I think wins it! The Dodgers with the Padres winning the Division

You just gave me a good idea. We should predict what the MLB playoffs will look like this October. Here are mine:

AL

Divisional playoffs
1. Detroit Tigers>>>
vs.
3. Oakland Athletics

2. New York Yankess
vs.
WC. Minnesota Twins>>>

ALCS
Detroit Tigers
vs.
Minnesota Twins>>>

NL

Divisional series
1. New York Mets>>>
vs.
WC. St. Louis Cardinals

2. LA Dodgers
vs.
3. Cincinnati Reds>>>

NLCS
New York Mets>>>
vs.
Cincinnati Reds

World Series
New York Mets
vs.
Minnesota Twins>>>

World Champs

MINNESOTA TWINS

Their rotation is great and if they get Liriano back by the playoffs, they are the favorite IMO.

Ray Finkle said:
Theo may or may not have been involved in the Beckett/Lowell/Mota for Hanely/Sanchez/2 pitchers deal so you can't kill him for that move. Some reports say he was involved in the deal while others say he had nothing to do with it. Remember when the deal went down Theo had quit the organization.

Personally, I was all for getting Mota in the trade because he was very good in LA when Dave Wallace was the pitching coach so I figured you might get lightning in a bottle plus I wasn't comfortable with Taveras and Seanez so I figured why not add another bullpen arm in there. But then he traded Mota for Riske in part of the Crisp/Marte deal.

Theo then made a terrible move for Javy Lopez (the pitcher) for Riske. Apparently rumors were that the White Sox asked for Seanez but the Red Sox offered them Riske because they thought Seanez had something left in his tank. D'oh. Now look at Riske. So I have to kill Theo and the Sox FO for that terrible, god awful move.

I was going more for the brilliance, foresight, and scouting on the Marlins' part, but no doubt the Boston FO has had a rough year.

*BUMP*

Updated standings. End of August 28.

Flippin Reds, can I get a hit with 2 outs and runners in scoring position?

Back
Top Bottom