***The Official NHL Offseason Thread*** | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official NHL Offseason Thread***

Well, he's not Dave Lewis. I'll reserve further comment until I learn something more about the guy. :lol:

Uni, here's what you need to know: good guy, average coach. He's VERY defensively oriented. Expect to see a lot of low-scoring games next year. His system doesn't allow the defense any opportunity to join the attack at all- and I mean AT ALL. He's as conservative as they come. Don't get me wrong- it's okay to be conservative, but there were rumblings that he lost the Devils' locker room last year because he was just too restrictive. And he was this way when he had the best goalie in the game at his disposal, so I'm sure he'll be even worse with Thomas/Toivinen/Rask or whoever the hell the Bruins' goaltender is next year.

(COUGHING COUGHING) Martin BIRON (COUGHING COUGHING) IS a good goalie Not Like LUNDY!!!!

JEalous Slappy!!! HAHAHAH Wann abet Philly has a better record than NYR

Lundqvist would be a better goaltender than Biron with one leg, and I hate the Rangers more than I hate the Flyers. Your homerism towards the Flyers borders on absolute and utter insanity, and I can't believe no one has called you on it before. And BTW- I saw your other post. Gomez is going out west- he's not staying in the east unless it's with the Devils, and if you thik he'll sign with ANYONE- never mind the Flyers- for $5 mil, then you're more delusional than I thought.

julien never coached Luongo......hmmmm what goalie are you talking about?

Lundqvist would be a better goaltender than Biron with one leg, and I hate the Rangers more than I hate the Flyers. Your homerism towards the Flyers borders on absolute and utter insanity, and I can't believe no one has called you on it before. And BTW- I saw your other post. Gomez is going out west- he's not staying in the east unless it's with the Devils, and if you thik he'll sign with ANYONE- never mind the Flyers- for $5 mil, then you're more delusional than I thought.
Oh, Dom's been called on it. For the most part we just let him be since he seems happy enough to cling to the ideal the Flyers may actually be good someday soon.

But ill tell you what, Ill be happy enough to see my Isles take Rafalski from you :wink:

playing behind crappy teams that dont trap..he also sees more than 15 shots a game.
Regardless, Broduer makes it work. You cant fault the player for the system he plays in. Michael Jordan played in a triangle offense yet it doesnt work quite as well for kobe bryant. Same thing. Sometimes the system is perfect for the player but sometimes the player makes the system work. You cant play a trap if you have a shady goalie, you would lose those 2-1 games.

Believe me, I hate the trap but Marty is the best goalie out there for my money.

So to pass the offseason I barrowed thsi from a different board:

2007 Free Agent Game

Here's how it works:
- Below is a list of the top 75 free agents
- You predict what team these players go to
- For every correct prediction, you get 1 point
- Poster with the most correct predictions wins the game
- Your picks MUST be in by June 30th at 11:59 EST
- If any player re-signs with their current team before July 1, those with their registrations in will get credit for the point
- For players who may retire or go to Europe, assign them an NHL team. If they do not play in the NHL, they will be voided from the game

JS Giguere - Anaheim
Teemu Selanne - Anaheim
Keith Tkachuk - Islanders
Slava Kozlov - Buffalo
Chirs Drury - Islanders
Daniel Briere - Washington
Dainius Zubrus - Islanders
Adam Mair - Oilers
Roman Hamrlik - Calgary
Brad Stuart - Dallas
Tony Amonte - Phoenix
Josef Vasicek - Islanders
Michal Handzus - Buffalo
Tyler Arnason - Chicago
Ossi Vaananen - Colorado
Bryan Berard - Minnesota
Ladislav Nagy - St Louis
Darryl Sydor - Tampa
Eric Lindros - Toronto
Danny Markov - Philly
Todd Bertuzzi - Detroit
Mathieu Schneider - Detroit
Kyle Calder - Chicago
Robert Lang -Dallas
Petr Sykora - Rangers
Jozef Stumpel - Boston
Martin Gelinas - Vancouver
Ed Belfour - phoenix
Mathieu Garon - Detroit
Aaron Miller - Vancouver
Jaroslav Modry - LA
Wes Walz - LA
Todd White - san jose
Shledon Souray - Montreal
Mike Johnson - Phoenix
Radek Bonk - Washington
Peter Forsberg - Colorado
Paul Kariya - Edmonton
Vitaly Vishnevski - Nashville
Brian Rafalski - Islanders
Scott Gomez - LA
Alexei Yashin - Washington
Ryan Smyth - Islanders
Jason Blake - Detroit
Viktor Kozlov - SJ
Tom Poti - Colorado
Brendan Shanahan - NYR
Michael Nylander - NYR
Tom Preissing - NYR
Mike Comrie - Buffalo
Dean McAmmond - Philly
Robert Esche - Toronto
Mike York - Vacouver
Curtis Joseph - Phoenix
Jeremy Roenick - philly
Owen Nolan - San Jose
Gary Roberts - Toronto
Mark Recchi - Pitt
Scott Hannan - Pitt
Bill Guerin - Vancouver
Craig Rivet - columbus
Glen Metropolit - tampa
Radek Dvorak - st louis
Cory Sarich - NJ
Ruslan Fedotenko - Oilers
Mike Peca - Toronto
Yannic Perrault - carolina
Jeff O'Neill - detroit
Bates Battaglia - calgary
Trevor Linden - vancouver
Bryan Smolinski - montreal
Jan Bulis - florida
Brent Sopel - dallas
Bryan Muir - Buffalo

I know nyi have about 23-25m depending on where you look so this is how I have our offseason figured; just my opinion:
Smyth: 5.6m (5yr/28m)
Rafalski: 5.5m (4yr/22m)
Drury: 6m (3/18)
Tkachuk: 2.5m (2yr/5m)
Zubrus: 2.5m (3yr/7.5)
Vasicek: 1.4m (2 yr/2.8m)

Adds up to about 23.5m.

Smyth-Drury-Zubrus
Tkachuk-Sillinger-Miro
Hunter- Vasicek- Bergie
Tams - Park - Asham

Rafalski-Witt
Martinek-Bergeron
Campoli-Gervais

Depth: Meyer, Bates, Hilbert

I know Ill catch heat for the Tkachuk move from isles fans who want to get young and stay young but i think hes going to sign somewhere and its going to be for less the expected because of his injury history. realistically i know hes not the same player he was but i think he would add much needed toughness, more leadership and grit, and hes another guy who gets cheap rebound goals. The logic behind my signings was to add speed on the blueline while upgrading the quality of D man, and to add size and playoff experience to our fowards as well as scoring touch.

Oh, Dom's been called on it. For the most part we just let him be since he seems happy enough to cling to the ideal the Flyers may actually be good someday soon.

But ill tell you what, Ill be happy enough to see my Isles take Rafalski from you :wink:

I thik Raf will stay with the Devils, but his price was driven up by that ridiculous contract the Flyers gave Timonen, so you might have a shot. If I were Lou I wouldn't go over $5-5.5 mil per for 4 years on Raf. Anything more is overpayment.

Uni, here's what you need to know: good guy, average coach. He's VERY defensively oriented. Expect to see a lot of low-scoring games next year. His system doesn't allow the defense any opportunity to join the attack at all- and I mean AT ALL. He's as conservative as they come. Don't get me wrong- it's okay to be conservative, but there were rumblings that he lost the Devils' locker room last year because he was just too restrictive. And he was this way when he had the best goalie in the game at his disposal, so I'm sure he'll be even worse with Thomas/Toivinen/Rask or whoever the hell the Bruins' goaltender is next year.

LOL...good to see your'e back with a bang!:lol:

I don't know if his conservative nature was him or Lou telling him what to do, either way I don't like it. We JUST fired a coach who held the players back, never letting them attack until they were down 3-1. If Julien is also that guy then he might be run out of town on a rail with Chiarelli.

The more I look at it the more I wish the Bruins had hired Randy Cunneyworth. I'm beginning to tire of recycled coaches in a big way.

Some of the stuff Chiarelli is doing leave me shaking my head. Trading Brad Boyes and Milan Jurcina because Dave Lewis treated them like trash and would not play them and then to turn around and fire Lewis makes no sense. Rebuilding teams don't TRADE young players, they get more of them.

I don't know who the B's goalie will be either. I'm HOPING they let Hannu play 60 games. They are not a playoff team yet. They need some young kids (Kessel, Kalus, Krejci) to develop and need to shed some payroll. I don't see the point in stunting Toivonen's growth anymore while letting Tim Thomas lead them no where. I'm VERY against Tuukka Rask playing a single NHL minute until he has played a full year in Providence.

I guess you didn't watch Vancouver too much last year, did you?

I watched 60 Canuck games last season. Roberto Luongo was in my opinion the MVP of the league. The Canucks would not have sniffed the playoffs without him. In fact, I think they would be picking top 10, maybe top 5 with a mortal goaltender. They really have nothing upfront when you get past the Sedin twins.

They did not trap nearly as much as people think. The only time they would really stay back is in the last 10 minutes if they were leading. That said he still faced an average of 28 shots per game, was 2nd in starts, wins, 6th in GAA and 4th in save %.

I know a lot of people like to say "what has he won" but c'mon. The guy is EASILY a top 3 guy in the World. Just because he's played on garbage teams for his whole career means nothing. Cam Ward, JS Giguere and Nik Khabibulin are the last three Cup winning goaltenders and none of them are even near Luongo.

I think he got the royal shaft at the awards. I agree with Marty winning the Vezina BUt I think Luongo should have won the Hart. I know Crosby was lights out and is the face of the league but that team has other weapons. In a weak East they could have the playoffs without him (IMO). I'm not bashing the guy though, he's the best player in the league, I just don't think he was the MVP of the league this year.

Back
Top Bottom