The official start Skylar Thompson thread | Page 54 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The official start Skylar Thompson thread

Maybe this was already posted but from Barry Jackson's article ….
McDaniel says the fact Thompson is starting against Minnesota doesn’t mean he is the team’s new No. 2 quarterback behind Tagovailoa. Bridgewater remains the No. 2 quarterback.

"We're starting Skylar because we thought it was best for the team having the week
to prepare," McDaniel said.
But but but but @Swiss told me McDaniel agrees with him? McDaniel must be lying.

Really hope this is the case. Hope he balls out and we get the W.
I doubt he balls out. MN will throw a lot of different looks at him. He’s just not NFL ready. We need our running game to show up and the OLine to protect

I doubt he balls out. MN will throw a lot of different looks at him. He’s just not NFL ready. We need our running game to show up and the OLine to protect
These takes are just as ridiculous as the Tua sucks takes.

Honestly, you’re basing this off of what? His first game as a rookie thrown into the fire without his staring LT and already down 2 points?

By comparison, this was Ryan Tannehill’s stat line his 1st NFL regular season game:
20/36, 219 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT.

And he was a 1st rounder who prepared all training camp for getting that first start. Did you say Tannehill wasn’t NFL ready back then?

How about we give the guy more than 1 start and maybe a whole week of preparation as a starter before stating “he isn’t NFL ready”?

Last edited:
These takes are just as ridiculous as the Tua sucks takes.

Honestly, you’re basing this off of what? His first game as a rookie thrown into the fire without his staring LT and already down 2 points?

By comparison, this was Ryan Tannehill’s stat line his 1st NFL regular season game:
20/36, 219 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT.

And he was a 1st rounder who prepared all training for getting that first start. Did you say Tannehill wasn’t NFL ready back then?

How about we give the guy more than 1 start and maybe a whole week of preparation as a starter before stating “he isn’t NFL ready”?
Yes, Tannehill wasn't NFL ready.

I am not fond of the term NFL ready because it short hand for so many concepts and critiques. I agree that his foot work was off, he was late to throws, his footwork interfered with his progressions, he did not trust his reads at time, he was indecisive, and a number of other issues. All of which are expected of the first NFL game for a QB. Pick any QB throughout history and that QB experienced some of the above during their first NFL game.

Skylar had 10 very good throws where his mechanics were correct. He challenged CBs deep when 1-1 was there. Those are NFL ready traits which is why I hate the term. Those 2 wins do not negate the other issues I listed above.

A more interesting question is what do I expect from him tomorrow. I want to see a higher percentage of good throws, more command of the offense and player placement, improved footwork and progression cues, and using his feet where appropriate. For this game we need to have 35 running reps to win the game.

SKYLAR THOMPSON, QB, MIAMI DOLPHINS
Skylar Thompson

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said QB Skylar Thompson "exceeded expectations" in his debut against the Jets last week.​

Thompson will make his first career start Sunday after playing all but one snap in Week 5. The Dolphins could have forced the Vikings to prepare for both Thompson and Teddy Bridgewater (questionable, concussion), but made the surprising decision to announce Thompson as the starter, with the rookie taking all the first-team reps in practice this week. Miami could be without LT Terron Armstead (questionable, toe) in Week 6, but the matchup is playable for Thompson, with the Vikings allowing the 12th-highest EPA per dropback and over eight yards per attempt. Thompson had PFF's sixth-highest deep passing grade this preseason and accounted for 95 yards in DPI last week.
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 14, 2022, 8:45 PM ET

Ah yeah. Well, balls out... Meaning, does enough to win us the game! Mistake free

But but but but @Swiss told me McDaniel agrees with him? McDaniel must be lying.
Of course Bridgewater will be the #2 when he returns, there's 6.5 million reasons why. I've been pretty consistent here. I've stated Skylar's practicing all week will make him a starter, but I was told Bridgewater will start regardless if he's healthy. That's not the case, and what that means is the gap between the two players isn't as large as you believe it to be.

SKYLAR THOMPSON, QB, MIAMI DOLPHINS
Skylar Thompson

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said QB Skylar Thompson "exceeded expectations" in his debut against the Jets last week.​

Thompson will make his first career start Sunday after playing all but one snap in Week 5. The Dolphins could have forced the Vikings to prepare for both Thompson and Teddy Bridgewater (questionable, concussion), but made the surprising decision to announce Thompson as the starter, with the rookie taking all the first-team reps in practice this week. Miami could be without LT Terron Armstead (questionable, toe) in Week 6, but the matchup is playable for Thompson, with the Vikings allowing the 12th-highest EPA per dropback and over eight yards per attempt. Thompson had PFF's sixth-highest deep passing grade this preseason and accounted for 95 yards in DPI last week.
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 14, 2022, 8:45 PM ET

Easy to exceed expectations when expectations are very, very low given draft location and pedigree, or lack thereof.

Back
Top Bottom