The stills on Stills | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The stills on Stills

dnespins

Active Roster
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion blaming both the offensive line and coaching staff for holding Ryan Tannehill back, as well as disappointment in the lack of production from Kenny Stills last year. Here is one example where that simply isn't the case. Will post others if people are interested.

Added the video:
[video=youtube;Lmh1xvMnR0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmh1xvMnR0g[/video]

colts1.jpg

Week 16 vs Colts. 1st and 10 trailing 15-6 7:21 3rd Quarter

colts2.jpg

Play action

colts3.jpg

Stills' jab destroys the corner. Safety still in his squat. Is he playing or taking a ****? Beautiful protection.

colts4.jpg

The safety with no regard for the deep third as Stills blows by his man. Perfect lane in the pocket. Throw it!

colts5.jpg

Stills with his arm up calling for the ball, but its too late. Ryan checks it down to the flats for a 6 yard gain.

colts6.jpg

Outstanding protection.

-These images are property of the NFL yada yada yada.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always knew about this play. Sad.

Miami needs a qb that wants to threaten the D every play. Only thing we can hope is Gase punching that into his head. RT should of read that and threw the ****ing ball.

I don't wanna see Miami lose, but I'll take another 1-15 season of it means the chance at an elite talent at the quarterback position.

The one thing I will add, is Lazor's offense went from short to long. Short was always the first read, and if the first read was open then throw it. He developed a short game plan. He coached Ryan to throw short to supplement his fear of running the ball.

Great post. Ryan simply is not there yet. He may never be there. We all know that making that throw is such a huge game changer on both sides of the ball for both teams. It changes momentum - it creates confidence - it shows how to bust open your opponent - it has the potential to help the Dolphins defense - it creates pressure on the Colts offense. 90 plus million dollars is a lot of $. I am a 5 foot 9 and quarter slow guy who can't jump - but I'm making that throw same as I play the lottery - Just in f...ing case...

Great post!

Ryan with protection................on one play.

The back was wide open in the flat however. I wonder how that play only went for six yards. There doesn't seem to be a defender within 10 yards of the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
One play. One freakin' play.

How many times has Stills been primary or secondary and failed to uncover? It happens over and over again and you start to expect it from the QB position.

No question ON THAT PLAY somehow RT must see and throw the ball, just from those stills. But beyond stills, there's a whole pile of stuff that are variables that aren't always evident. It's tiring to go into it over and over.

Just go back and watch the Miami New England game from last year -- and watch how many times Ryan converts with big time throws, especially on 3rd and long, when the D knows a throw is coming. Those are throws and plays that few QBs can make with the kind of consistency he did in that game with simply average protection.

One play like you highlighted here on stills doesn't show squat compared to game tape. Ryan has put enough on tape to show that the problem with the team isn't him. No matter how hard people try to shoe-horn him into the problem.

LD

The back was wide open in the flat however. I wonder how that play only enet for six yards. There doesn't seem to be adefender within 10 yards of the back.

the throw spun miller around and let the safety and LB come up and make the tackle. but that's not the point.

this play is drawn up for kenny stills as the primary to get 6 points. they had exactly what they wanted and ryan is staring right at it and just doesn't throw the ball. there is no safety in the deep middle. that is pitch and catch. put it out there deep middle and let stills run away from the db and under the ball.

You could find a play like that for every QB in the league. It's hardly a damning indictment of Ryan Tannehill. He has plenty to work on, but let's get him consistent blocking before we just decide he's toast in this league.

I don't know man....I like the kid, but I am starting to worry that if we don't have a stacked defense, we may never see the playoffs with Tanny. I hope I'm wrong as he hasn't had an O-line, but if we run/pass 50/50 this year to keep the defense guessing, when it's time to throw, he better sling it.

the pre snap read shows the safety in the deep middle of the field...the qbs read says the deep post runs into that deep safety thus he takes the wide open cleared out flat route

to only gain 6 yards there is criminal

I agree with the OP. this is just one play. Its not so much about this play in particular but more about Ryan's over all mentality of trying to push the ball down the field. He's a safe QB, hardly takes risks. Id be fine with this kind of qb if we had a monstrous running game or completely dominant defense. but we haven't had that since he's been around.

It is true you could find a play like that for every QB in the league. But... I agree, your coach and QB should be looking for plays like that, drilling it into everyone on offense. Seeing Gase say its 10 yard and in league made me cringe. Seeing us run short of the sticks made me cringe, seeing a pass to a te at the LOS on 3rd down made me cringe. You have to look for and take shots and I hope we do, otherwise I and I'm sure most of the fan base will quickly sour on Gase. At the very least we know Cambell would have coached some balls into the offense. Hopefully it's not what it looked like Friday.

Back
Top Bottom