The stills on Stills | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The stills on Stills

I remember this...this is when dvp first came back and he didn't look to him...

that safety is flowing to tannehills eyes side once he finished his drop

that is week 2 after parker dressed week 1 and didn't play a down

in other words I don't think the qb and wr had built up the trust/chemistry/etc

and also that's when dvp wasn't close to right...if you remember early on he looked like he lacked burst etc

I remember this...this is when dvp first came back and he didn't look to him...

that safety is flowing to tannehills eyes side once he finished his drop

on the jags play...

this is why i cant get excited. this is a 4th year qb that can't move a safety and throw back side vs iso coverage - which they tipped pre snap wth press and the rest played off. parker wins with inside leverage and the safety is running to another zip code. you've got to make those plays in the nfl.

Posting a few still photos to prove a point does nothing to convince those that know the real issue with the offense.....and it ain't Tannehill.

Those "in the know"? Who are they? Are they THESE guys?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/qbs-in-focus-under-pressure/

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...yan-tannehill-i-wasnt-happy-with-how-i-played

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/spo...n-tannehill-getting-sacked-at-near-rec/nbCs4/

Three of the four sacks Monday came in the third quarter when the Dolphins were trailing by more than 20 points. Pouncey said the Saints were pressuring the Dolphins on every play, which played a factor.

Left tackle Jonathan Martin allowed the first of those three sacks; Tannehill held on to the ball too long on the second; and right tackle Tyson Clabo gave up the third.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article4784982.html

He can still hold the ball too long as he did on a fourth-quarter coverage sack. But he’s also gifted enough erase that mistake with a 14-yard completion and a touchdown pass in two of his next three passes.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...is-responsible-for-getting-tannehill-hit.html

Running backs Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas each has allowed a sack on Tannehill. Oh yeah, and Tannehill is also responsible on getting hit occasionally when he holds the ball too long.

One sack the Dolphins gave up is probably being charged to a blocker but I put it on Tannehill. He held the ball too long. He basically got himself sacked in my book. So one sack allowed for him.

“Yeah, I had one in the game where I had all day," Tannehill said Wednesday. "We repped the play in practice several times and obviously it played out well in practice, it didn’t play out so well in the game and I didn’t have the right reaction to get rid of the ball and that is what it comes down to. The offensive line did a great job giving me all day to throw, it just a matter of getting the ball out."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rtythree-things-you-need-to-know-from-week-14

1. Elvis Dumervil was the best player on the field Sunday, and Joe Flacco was a close second. Let's start with the Ravens' defense. Despite losing two more cornerbacks to injury (Danny Gorrer and Anthony Levine), the Ravens only gave up three points in the final three quarters because of a ferocious pass rush. Dumervil dominated Dallas Thomas for 3.5 sacks, stopping multiple drives. Terrell Suggs added 1.5 sacks. Ryan Tannehill often held the ball too long, getting knocked down nine times.

3. Ryan Tannehill's inability to throw deep is the Achilles' heel of the Miami offense. They built a 10-0 lead in the first quarter with short throws and inspired runs by Lamar Miller, but the Ravens sat on the short stuff after that. Tannehill still takes too long to process and find secondary options, too often looking like a statue. 

http://archive.naplesnews.com/sports/nfl/341659211.html?d=mobile

He said sometimes the tight end has missed a blitz pickup, or a wideout has been slow to get open, or Tannehill has held on to the ball too long.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-be-a-big-leader-for-hungry-dolphins-team/
I don’t worry about Tannehill’s deep ball accuracy nearly as much as his pocket presence.

He has to get better at feeling the rush and avoiding the sacks. Our o line certainly has played badly in his first three years but Ryan owns a good 33% of those sacks by holding on to the ball too long.
(FANS RESPONSE TO ARTICLE)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...olphins-quarterback-ryan-tannehills-deep-ball

The issue is also commonly raised that even on catchable passes, Tannehill often fails to hit his receivers in stride. The question is, how common is this?

https://thefantasygreek.com/dolphins-beat-texans-dolphins-are-who-we-thought-they-were/

These big plays were a result of some amazing offensive line work. Miami’s offensive line dominated this game. On Landry’s touchdown, he was able to stretch it into a touchdown due to Mike Pouncey and Billy Turner running down the field and picking off some loose DBs. The offensive line also projected Lamar Miller’s screen pass touchdown, due to key blocks down field. In pass protection, the offensive line held up well too. Most of the sacks the Texans got were because of good coverage and Tannehill holding on to the ball too long.

The play calling was also pretty conservative in the second half, which gave the Texans the ball a few more times than they should have had.Damien Williams had a fumble which gave the Texans the ball back. Tannehill held the ball too long a few times, giving the Texans a few sacks as well.

http://cover32.com/2014/06/19/can-ryan-tannehill-throw-for-4000-yards-this-season/

1. Tannehill has to improve the consistency of this accuracy this year. In his previous two years, Tannehill has struggled with being a consistently accurate quarterback. In his rookie year, Tannehill had a 58.3 completion percentage and last year he was at 60.4 percent. It was an improvement but clearly shows that he needs to be more consistent.

Granted Tannehill’s offensive line was terrible last year and it was very difficult at times to execute, Tannehill caused anywhere from seven to twelve sacks last year because he held on the ball too long. That is an issue that is imperative to clean up

https://phinphanatic.com/2015/11/20/dolphins-holding-back-ryan-tannehill-with-no-audible-system/

There are a lot of knocks on Tannehill. He holds the ball too long a lot of the times. He has little or no pocket awareness. His decision-making comes into question as well when he throws passes to receivers that he should be checking down from instead. Then of course there is the deep ball.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/i...d-taylor-has-more-than-just-rex-ryan-smiling/

- and quarterback Ryan Tannehill held the ball too long at times. He struggled once again to stretch the field much at all against a defense that frankly I figured was game to give up some big stuff. He looked good connecting with new tight end Jordan Cameron downfield but Miami had no passing play over 27 yards, and until there is more explosion in that regard, I'll have my reservations about the quarterback.

Barry Jackson Reply

Thanks, Louis. Tannehill sometimes is being plagued by poor pass protection so far in camp, as has been the case during entire tenure here. He's holding onto the ball too long at times.

And all these i found in ONE GOOGLE PAGE. ONE!!!!

It covers his career pretty thoroughly. And theres pages more of coaches, ex and current players, gm's, scoutes, draft guru's, sports casters, fans who have been pointing out that Tanny has a bad habbit of holding the ball to long FOR YEARS!! . Its cost him sacks, gotten to many sacks blamed on the line and has frustrated the hell out of more than a playmaker or two here. The actual peoole IN THE KNOW have been pointing this issue out for years but about 3-4 of the armchair coaches here just cant or wont see it.

Tanny has some great talent but not being decisive under pressure is killing his career. It will most likely shorten his career. But if he can just fix that one thing, he would be an all pro. The greats are greats because when its all on the, line, things break down, one play left, they beat the pressure, overcome break downs in protection and MAKE THE PLAY!! Anyone can be an all pro with a constantly clean jersey. No pressure in the nfl is RARE!! But fans are acting like all these other teams o-lines are never letting a defender anywhere near their qb. How many times have we seen our defense hanging all over tom brady but somehow, tom makes the play? Or big ben, brees,fitspatrick or most of the other real good to great qb's make the play under big time pressure from us? To many to count!!

Tanny has an issue. He and the dolphins are going nowhere big until he fixes that. And like i said, ONE GOOGLE PAGE, ONLY ONE and i found that many quotes on tanny holding the ball to long. And there are LOTS, LOTS more. Its a problem. A Real one!!

on the jags play...

this is why i cant get excited. this is a 4th year qb that can't move a safety and throw back side vs iso coverage - which they tipped pre snap wth press and the rest played off. parker wins with inside leverage and the safety is running to another zip code. you've got to make those plays in the nfl.

I think that's more about dvp just coming back than anything else...but fair enough...we'll see how it goes this year...

The last play of the Colts game where 4 lineman didn't even block from the 5 yard line completely ****s all over your theory. Did he miss a potential play to Stills? Perhaps. Was that potential miss only a Tannehill flaw? Not even close.

The last play of the Colts game where 4 lineman didn't even block from the 5 yard line completely ****s all over your theory. Did he miss a potential play to Stills? Perhaps. Was that potential miss only a Tannehill flaw? Not even close.

what theory? lol...it's ok man. adam gase will fix him or we'll get a new qb. either way we'll get better.

I remember am interview with Marino many years ago where he said he always reads deep to near. Tannehill seems opposite. Stills seemed open on a lot of parts last year. I'm really sick of dink and dunk for 2 yards.

I'd like to know the exact game situation... because if there's more than half a quarter left in the game, and we're not more than a score away type of scenario, I absolutely want Tannehill to go for Miller on that play. The 6 yards he gets there is the absolute worst case scenario and anyone who looks at the still shot when Miller catches the ball without knowing the outcome would tell you he at least goes for 10-15 yards and maybe even scores if the 2 WRs nail their blocks...
I've taken a quick look at PFF's splits and the league average for the throw to stills is around 30%...
Given all that, I have no problem with the decision here...

Edit: I found the play in question... 1st and 10 at the Colts 37 with 7:21 to go in the 3rd quarter.... And Tannehill was actually able to hit Cameron for a TD on that drive except it was nullified by a offensive PI on Landry... Which killed the drive...

Tannehill finished that game with a 8.6 YPA so wasnt conservative at all in that game. Meanwhile, the running game managed 82 yards on 25 carries although 28 of those yards were on a Tannehill run...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know the exact game situation... because if there's more than half a quarter left in the game, and we're not more than a score away type of scenario, I absolutely want Tannehill to go for Miller on that play.

this is a 5-9 football team trailing by 9pts in the 2nd half. if you won't make that throw then, when the hell will you?

this is a 5-9 football team trailing by 9pts in the 2nd half. if you won't make that throw then, when the hell will you?

He has 2 options on that play, what Im telling you is the difference in the average end resutlt is marginal at best while the Miller option involves alot less variance... if there's a defender near Miller when Tannehill passes to him then I agree 100% with you... But he's all by himself with alot of green in front of him... I have no problem whatsoever with the decision there because both options provide a TD opportunity while the Miller options as a higher floor...

There's been at least 100 big plays that Tannehill just doesn't see or under/over throws the receiver. Thus, not an elite QB -- breaking news to all, I know.

He has 2 options on that play, what Im telling you is the difference in the average end resutlt is marginal at best while the Miller option involves alot less variance... if there's a defender near Miller when Tannehill passes to him then I agree 100% with you... But he's all by himself with alot of green in front of him... I have no problem whatsoever with the decision there because both options provide a TD opportunity while the Miller options as a higher floor...

when tannehill comes off stills he has no idea none of the LBs accounted for the back after play action. he's been looking 20 yards down field. at that point, he's checking it down to miller regardless. it just happens in this case that miller is wide open. if miller were covered ryan runs or throws it away.

Back
Top Bottom