The stills on Stills | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The stills on Stills

Im not even having it either way... Tannehill threw a 6 yard pass on first down, you're saying throwing to Stills was definitely a better option, as much as you're ripping him for not doing it... If he did throw to Stills and it fell incomplete, as it should 2/3rds of the time, you'd probably be ripping him for trying to force things when Miller was all by himself... Thruth is both options had similar expectation although Miller involved less risk... As it turns out, they got the 1st down on the very next play, and Tannehill hit Cameron for a TD but it was called back by a stupid call on Landry later in that same drive...

Not only that Parker finished that game with 93 yards on 4 catches and Landry got 111 yards on 7 catches... Its interresting that you picked the 6 yards pass to Miller to make you're point...

The reason he was wide open was the defense don't respect the fins long ball.....the safety knew the play was going to be a dump off because it was easy, open and what the fins offense does, I guarantee you if that was the Pitt, that safety would have covered Stills......defenses are not stupid, they study a lot of film they know tendencies of the team and players they play against....not to mention if he throws it , no guarantee that Stills makes the catch, he's not that good.... the morale of the story is sometimes you got to take that shot down the field to keep a defense honest, if he takes it there, even if it was incomplete, later in the game you can come back to it, hit the underneath route with no safety coming up to make the play, it could be a big play instead of 6 yd gain....

I'm not excusing Tannehill of missing that, but you see QB's constantly do this...hell, they show on the replay how a player was open down the field and the QB went short.

absolutely right. but the significance of this play and what separates it from most of the ones you are talking about is it was designed and called to push the ball down field. it's perplexing why a 4th year QB doesn't make this throw. a lot of times when you see guys open deep and the ball was thrown short it's because they weren't the primary and they were running off coverage for something underneath. this play is the opposite of that.

*also something i noticed....if you look at the very end of the video at the nfl logo graphic...look at campbell's reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the video

[video=youtube;Lmh1xvMnR0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmh1xvMnR0g[/video]

Yeah he stuck with the pre snap read didn't give the deep post the chance he should have...now that I see it full speed he missed a potential td

The look to the post at the end of his drop was just token

That's one you ask him in the qb meeting room why no post snap only pre snap read there...he should have read the deep safety post snap squatting or dropping if squats throw the post if drops look to the seam then the flats

I asked for a full clip example and you gave me one...doesn't matter if every qb sometimes gives a progression token looks you delivered :up:

It's not just the position of the safety pre snap it's the stills boundary db taking a slight inside leverage positioning also...if that db is straight up or outside leverage maybe tanny gives it the true post snap look it deserves

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Tannehill was running for his life on every play? That's what FinHeaven told me. Interesting.

:lol:

You guys are funny. If you say Tannehill needs to make better decisions and that he's not being blasted all the time, you're asked for proof. Proof is provided and there's still excuses. As. Always.

This post, which is well done, highlights at least two of QB17's weaknesses, first, situational awareness, or his fear of screwing up, that Stills throw was there, that S is shading forward from the snap, when Stills is 2 yards under that S the ball should be thrown, because NO WAY does he catch up with Stills from a dead stand still, so that is lack of situational awareness, or just fear of screwing up, either way, poor QBing.

Second, poor placement, Miller has to spin around, killing his forward momentum on an easy as pie NFL throw, no excuse.

The preseason game showed the same things, the throw to Ajayi, QB17 was not under pressure, but throws the ball high to JA, really short pass too, and right to the wrong place for a RB, over his head, RBs have big shoulder pads, that are tight that inhibits their ability to reach over their head, you want JA to catch that ball, but the throw, with no pressure, and no distance is the worse problem.

QB17's other inc, he's running from pressure, has JA open right smack dab in front of him, yet he doesn't throw it, it's like he's looking for something else, when he KNOWS there is pressure bearing down on him, and then shovels it when contacted by OV, poor situational awareness.

I know it's just the first preseason game, but this fits a QB17 pattern, he seems to have no real QB "instincts".

Back
Top Bottom