The Super Bowl as a proxy for the Finheaven War | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Super Bowl as a proxy for the Finheaven War

It seems to me as if the coming Super Bowl is a metaphor for our simmering cold-war here at Finheaven.

On one side, we have the team with the best lines in the NFL. Frisco leads the NFL in Rushing AND Defense, while KCity is staffed with pretty boys and speed (my bias may be showing... ahem)

Corn Fed vs. WE GOTTA DRAFT A QB!!!! OMG!!!

I look forward to the coming war about team design. May the best side (gracefully) win.

Feels like this is either moving the goalposts or intentionally missing the point.

I cant see why they wouldnt. Great defence, solid unning game, good WR and Samuels is a star in the making. All pro TE, Again, why wouldnt they go back to the playoffs.

We'll know more about their running game in two weeks.

Garoppolo is not elite. Once again, times are changing. The NFL teams have become more aggressive when it comes to drafting QBs. Mahomes may not have been a top five pick, but KC made an aggressive move from the #27 pick in the draft all the way up to the #10 pick in the draft to acquire him. In the last three drafts since 2017 eleven QBs were drafted in the first round. Seven out of the eleven the team that selected them moved up in order to make the selection. Two of the four teams that did not move up already had the number one pick. Arizona selected Murray with the first pick after moving up in the previous draft to select Rosen in the top ten. The days of being cautious about when to draft a QB are over. It's time to be aggressive.

Not for all, or even most teams!

The actual argument = if you build an elite D, you won't be able to sustain it year over year; if you build an elite offense, you will be able to sustain it year over year. Would you rather have 1 or 2 (if you're lucky) runs at a SB or 10+? Inherent in the argument, if you build a great offense, you'll still have opportunities to build and rebuild a great defense during that window of 10+ years.

The most underrated aspect in all of this is the playcaller. They're closer in value to QB's than they are any other positional group. Two of best playcallers of the decade will face off in the SB.
I see. Yes, I’d want the QB that is always going to have me in contention.

One made the playoffs while the other did not. And did you happen to look at the list of Patriots appearances vs returning Defensive Powerhouse teams in the past 20 years?

Not a single one of those loaded D teams ever returned to the super bowl. The only one that might qualify are the Legion or Boom Seahawks, but they also had an elite QB paired with their D.

You know there are a few here who believe a tam wins the SB or they're losers. Getting to the playoffs means nothing.

Just as individual 'elite' QBs seldom return to the SB (sans Brady), individual Ds seldom return to the SB. BUT, elite QBs as a group, get to the SB frequently, as do elite Ds. Usually together

You need at least a hot and talented defense to win a Super Bowl, but if it is either or....I would say KC's QB model is more sustainable.

SF's defense will break up and you will see production drop, their cap isn't in a great spot I think hey have something like $16 million. And you know guys like Thomas and Armestead will probably walk with guys like Sherman and the list goes on, there goes half of the depth of the line plus the alpha in the secondary. But you can replace guys like that and running back a lot easier then a high level QB. So maybe they can be a good to great defense for a number of years but they will not be at this level. Jimmy G will have to shoulder more especially if their cap space stays this tight.

Mahomes will retire a Chief. So thats not even a position they have to worry about for the next 15 years. They can draft skill players and bulk up a defense but one thing will always be present. Mahomes and his wizardry. So in years where they face tons of injuries or the defense is just horrible they will likely still get 11 wins make the playoffs maybe win in wildcard weekend. Whereas, the 9ers will be a hit and miss team that may or may not make the playoffs. I mean Shannahan is a great coach but he had what 8/9 wins before this year. So Jimmy G gives them a fighting chance but he is no Wilson or Mahomes and can carry a team to 11 wins regardless of roster. He will always need a pretty solid supporting cast and this is the NFL so that's a tough ask.

If the 9ers missed the playoffs next year due to guys leaving and just attrition. Plus every team in their division could/should be better next year. I would not be surprised, if the chiefs miss the playoffs it would only be because Mahomes would miss significant time. If he plays 14 games a year they will be in the post season and if you are in the post season you can make a run and at least have a chance at a Superbowl.

And want to add that if there was such a thing as a fraud 14-3 team it was the Packers, I believe they were out gained in 11 games this year and were 9-1 in 1 possession games. They were lucky AF, and if the Seahawks weren't completely broken down with injury likely wouldn't have made it this far.

Last edited:
The point isnt who wins that game. Anyone can win any game in the NFL. The point is which of these 2 teams is more likely to find itself in the same situation next year and the year after that and the year after that and so on.... And even then those 2 teams dont even fit the actual debate, matter of fact SF were 4-12 last season without a good passing game. Now both teams have the 5th and 7th rated passing offense.

Last edited:
It’s weird to me that Dolphin fans of all fans are advocating passing on elite QB to build an elite D... it’s like they memoryholed the early 2000s.

Dolphins had an elite D with an elite running game and couldn’t even make the playoffs because of their QB situation.

And after that D broke down, it only got worse from there and we endured a decade of absolute ****.

You telling me had they drafted Brees in 2001 instead of Jamar Fletcher everything would have panned out the same?

Last edited:
It’s weird to me that Dolphin fans of all fans are advocating passing on elite QB to build an elite D... it’s like they memoryholed the early 2000s.

Dolphins had an elite D with an elite running game and couldn’t even make the playoffs because of their QB situation.

And after that D broke down, it only got worse from there and we endured a decade of absolute ****.

You telling me had they drafted Brees in 2001 instead of Jamar Fletcher everything would have panned out the same?
And this was at a point in time where running the ball was as valuable as its been in the last 30 years...

There's gonna be a whole lotta red at the SB this year. Wonder what jerseys each team will wear for the big game.

It seems to me as if the coming Super Bowl is a metaphor for our simmering cold-war here at Finheaven.

On one side, we have the team with the best lines in the NFL. Frisco leads the NFL in Rushing AND Defense, while KCity is staffed with pretty boys and speed (my bias may be showing... ahem)

Corn Fed vs. WE GOTTA DRAFT A QB!!!! OMG!!!

I look forward to the coming war about team design. May the best side (gracefully) win.

I put money on SF over GB and felt 100% confident doing so

GB has one WR Rodgers can count on and a running game that’s not hard to shut down. SF shuts down very good running games and they dared Rodgers to beat em. Where was Jones yesterday?

Say what you want about Garrapolo but he’s got balls. He has no problem trying to thread the needle between the hash marks and more time than not connects. They’re running game is top notch

So basically no war here, get us a QB for sure but those lines are so important and that’s why SF will pull out a close SB win

Back
Top Bottom