The Texans current pick | Page 267 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Texans current pick

The owusu kid looks too small for our scheme to me.

this game isn’t as close as the scoreboard says it is even.
This was a good opportunity to evaluate him, because his ability to cover really intrigued me ... that's such an advantage anymore. The Steelers play Marcus Allen as a linebacker, and he's really not even a pumped up safety; they sacrifice the size for the coverage and get away with it because he's a sure tackler. So I'm always looking for LBs that aren't completely lost in pass defense.

This was a good opportunity to evaluate him, because his ability to cover really intrigued me ... that's such an advantage anymore. The Steelers play Marcus Allen as a linebacker, and he's really not even a pumped up safety; they sacrifice the size for the coverage and get away with it because he's a sure tackler. So I'm always looking for LBs that aren't completely lost in pass defense.

thats fair but cinci exploited that size at off ball lb of the Steelers with the inside run game.

that kid finds the football I saw that tonight

thats fair but cinci exploited that size at off ball lb of the Steelers with the inside run game.

that kid finds the football I saw that tonight
Absolutely. It's a trade-off and a chance you have to measure. I just think you're seeing more and more teams going spread and throwing all the time, the importance of an LB as a run-stopper is diminishing. If he's a liability in pass defense ... like McMillan was for us ... it really makes little difference how impressive he is plugging gaps. He either has to be at least average in pass defense or someone who can pressure the QB.

Ideally, you get LBs like Jerome Baker (despite how often he seems to fall trying to make tackles) who you can use to cover a decent receiving RB and then a safety with enough size to matchup with a TE. The Steelers didn't have that, so they sacrificed the size for the coverage ability.

Absolutely. It's a trade-off and a chance you have to measure. I just think you're seeing more and more teams going spread and throwing all the time, the importance of an LB as a run-stopper is diminishing. If he's a liability in pass defense ... like McMillan was for us ... it really makes little difference how impressive he is plugging gaps. He either has to be at least average in pass defense or someone who can pressure the QB.

Ideally, you get LBs like Jerome Baker (despite how often he seems to fall trying to make tackles) who you can use to cover a decent receiving RB and then a safety with enough size to matchup with a TE. The Steelers didn't have that, so they sacrificed the size for the coverage ability.

im just thinking owusu would be Jerome baker in our scheme. And I don’t know that I can have two of that type and game and poa play on the field without getting exploited for it.

im just thinking owusu would be Jerome baker in our scheme. And I don’t know that I can have two of that type and game and poa play on the field without getting exploited for it.

That's a fair question that I'm sure some team is going to explore at some point. I think Baker is adequate for it, although he misses a lot of tackles one on one, he's generally around the ball and in on enough. He's a plus in coverage and a fair blitzer.

Just speculation, but I think a lot of being able to have Baker and Owusu being effective in the same LB corps would come down to two things: 1) A line that was above average in occupying blockers and forcing backs to run wide and 2) DBs who were able to support effectively against the run.

That's a fair question that I'm sure some team is going to explore at some point. I think Baker is adequate for it, although he misses a lot of tackles one on one, he's generally around the ball and in on enough. He's a plus in coverage and a fair blitzer.

Just speculation, but I think a lot of being able to have Baker and Owusu being effective in the same LB corps would come down to two things: 1) A line that was above average in occupying blockers and forcing backs to run wide and 2) DBs who were able to support effectively against the run.

I don’t think there’s any doubt about that but baker is the primary carry coverage on backs lb and rowe is primary on tight ends.

so unless you part with baker what real role is another coverage backer gonna have? Or better yet how do I get him snaps to validate the pick investment

I don’t think there’s any doubt about that but baker is the primary carry coverage on backs lb and rowe is primary on tight ends.

so unless you part with baker what real role is another coverage backer gonna have? Or better yet how do I get him snaps to validate the pick investment

I just think having LBs who can cover, be it man or zone, is a huge advantage. Look at Rowe trying to cover Waller the other night; he could stay with him but didn't have the size when the ball got there. Owusu, I believe, is a converted safety. If you have a guy like that who can hang with a TE, your safeties can be factors in other places.

I just think having LBs who can cover, be it man or zone, is a huge advantage. Look at Rowe trying to cover Waller the other night; he could stay with him but didn't have the size when the ball got there. Owusu, I believe, is a converted safety. If you have a guy like that who can hang with a TE, your safeties can be factors in other places.

you think owusu could do anything with a Waller or Kelce? I sure don’t

you think owusu could do anything with a Waller or Kelce? I sure don’t
I wasn't talking specifically about him. I was talking about the game evolving in that direction. The more Gesicki types you're going to have playing TE, the more need there'll be to find ways to cover them, and one of those is going to be tall, rangy, lighter LBs, IMO.

Fields helped himself and the Fins out big time tonight. Lawrence looked horrible but will still go #1. Jets eother take Fields #2 or trade the pick for a haul so they can grab a bunch of picks. They took Becton LY at LT so they don’t need Sewell. Either way if we are at #3 we can take a huge player to help out, or trade back 2-3 spots and still get Parsons or Smith and pick up a 2nd this year or a 1st in 2022. I still say we try to trade back into the top 10-12 using our first and a 2nd either our 2nd or one pick up trading back from 3 to 5/6. Can you imagine picking up Smith and Pitts (TE) plus Williams or Harris at RB plus edge help in the second? Talk about transforming the offense in a big way.

Hoops, you know that I have been a fan of drafting Owusu, but I believe you are correct here. So, as much as I like Owusu as a player in today's NFL, the fit for Miami right now isn't the best. As for Owusu, he could benefit from going to a team that can use him like Carolina uses rookie Jeremy Chinn.

Not only Owusu but no need for Dylan Moses either. Not sure what the issue is but he can’t cover for squat as a LB and gets abused by RB’s and TE’s in the passing game. Another huge fall off is Wade from OSU who is playing out of position this year - usually a safety and they have him at DB and looks awful. Schemes are important when selecting players. Different sport but don’t care how good Nolan Ryan is as a pitcher, but if you play him in right field it won’t help your team.

Back
Top Bottom