The Top 3 QB's are gone: Which QB would you pick late? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Top 3 QB's are gone: Which QB would you pick late?

If Burrow and Tua are gone and Herbert still on the board at #5 Miami should pass and take Simmons or Okudah, assuming Young is off the board.

What is worse than not getting a franchise QB in the draft? Getting stuck with one that isn't for the next 4+ years. Fitz plays out the year and Miami revisits the QB situation next off season.

I could see Miami spending the 3rd round compensatory pick or a 4th to get Jalen Hurts, not for his arm but his legs which may make him a serviceable short term backup and be used on specialty plays and 3rd/4th short yardage.

Possibly sign Mariota or Winston post draft to a reasonable 2 year deal. A lot more for the coaches to work with than Rosen.

If Burrow and Tua are gone and Herbert still on the board at #5 Miami should pass and take Simmons or Okudah, assuming Young is off the board.

What is worse than not getting a franchise QB in the draft? Getting stuck with one that isn't for the next 4+ years. Fitz plays out the year and Miami revisits the QB situation next off season.

I could see Miami spending the 3rd round compensatory pick or a 4th to get Jalen Hurts, not for his arm but his legs which may make him a serviceable short term backup and be used on specialty plays and 3rd/4th short yardage.

Possibly sign Mariota or Winston post draft to a reasonable 2 year deal. A lot more for the coaches to work with than Rosen.

If the FO is going to bypass future QB's because they drafted Herbert, I agree that they should pass, but I don't want Okudah or Simmons at 5 - better to trade down and draft an OT. The best scenario - with Burrow and Tua off the board - is draft Herbert with a willingness to upgrade the position. Herbert worries me in some ways, but he's shown enough to think he has a solid chance - particularly since Oregon's offense didn't accentuate his strengths.

Herbert is less likely to hit than Simmons or Okudah (but especially Simmons); however, Herbert's impact, if he hits, is on a whole other planet. The gulf is too wide to ignore.

What is worse than not getting a franchise QB in the draft? Getting stuck with one that isn't for the next 4+ years.

That's a great point, and is a position we are only too familiar with ourselves. Just adds further weight to the argument of ensuring Tua is on our roster next year.

Last edited:
I see many people worry about us drafting the wrong QB and then being "stuck' with him for several years. While I understand their position, I think people are making too much of it. First, this is a different coaching staff and I don't believe Flores would stick with a QB that's not making progress. Yes Tanny was our QB for 7 years but that doesn't mean it's going to happen again.

Also, 1st round QB's don't cost what they used to cost anymore. Lets say we do draft Herbert(I don't think we are but lets just say we do) Flores could decide he's not the guy and he could draft another QB in 2021. It'd be harder to take a chance if we only have our regular picks but we have plenty of picks in the next two drafts.

If the FO is going to bypass future QB's because they drafted Herbert, I agree that they should pass, but I don't want Okudah or Simmons at 5 - better to trade down and draft an OT. The best scenario - with Burrow and Tua off the board - is draft Herbert with a willingness to upgrade the position. Herbert worries me in some ways, but he's shown enough to think he has a solid chance - particularly since Oregon's offense didn't accentuate his strengths.

Herbert is less likely to hit than Simmons or Okudah (but especially Simmons); however, Herbert's impact, if he hits, is on a whole other planet. The gulf is too wide to ignore.

This may be only debate left for me in this draft. What to do if no Tua.

#5 Okudah - elite CB. Provides tremendous us defensive flexibility with (2) #1 CBs.
Gives us defensive identity. Howard Okudah - McCain Slot -Rowe TE eraser - It’s the makings of a unit.

#18 - Love or Eason -
I would consider trading up 10 spots for Love if the cost is Rd2 Pick.

#26 - BPA- OT if one drops, Becton- Jones- Wirfs- Willis.
Safety McKinney, Delpit.

#39 - BPA Safety- Winfield - Center - Cushenberry. Maybe Temple kid. Possibly RB.

I see many people worry about us drafting the wrong QB and then being "stuck' with him for several years. While I understand their position, I think people are making too much of it. First, this is a different coaching staff and I don't believe Flores would stick with a QB that's not making progress. Yes Tanny was our QB for 7 years but that doesn't mean it's going to happen again.

Also, 1st round QB's don't cost what they used to cost anymore. Lets say we do draft Herbert(I don't think we are but lets just say we do) Flores could decide he's not the guy and he could draft another QB in 2021. It'd be harder to take a chance if we only have our regular picks but we have plenty of picks in the next two drafts.

The worst that can happen is you take your first round QB and he sucks, so you find a sucker like Miami to pawn him off to for a 2nd and 5th.

People are TOO sure of themselves about these QBs. I bet a sh1t ton of fans in KC groaned about Patrick Mahomes. I know for a fact a sh1t ton of fans groaned about Rodgers and even were ready to dump him before he could finally play in Favre’s place. Merrill Hoge infamously said Rodgers can‘t throw with anticipation and they should start Brian Brohm, who the Packers drafted in the 2nd round in 2008, before Rodgers had gotten the chance to do anything but play in the preseason.

If you have a great conviction that a certain player is NOT it, then I can understand. But you also have to examine how often you are wrong when you take those negative stands. And even then, humble pie has a way of finding you. I remember feeling pretty good taking strong stances against Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, Chad Henne, Pat White, Jimmy Clausen, Tim Tebow, Jamarcus Russell, Jake Locker, Andy Dalton, Robert Griffin, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Johnny Manziel, Christian Hackenberg, and Will Grier...and feeling pretty good about my ability to weed out guys that don’t have great chances of making it. But then I do the same with Daniel Jones, and it’s like, oops. He was very promising this year. And if I am being honest Andy Dalton has certainly had a better career than I imagined, though still not a great one.

You gotta keep spinning the wheel, even if you cannot get your absolute top choice. I may not have the most comfortable feelings about Justin Herbert, but he isn‘t a Jamarcus Russell. And Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Jordan Love, and Jake Fromm all seem like GOOD dice rolls at the position. Jacob Eason may be too, but I will put that conditional on his interview/intelligence/character grade because there are some things that make me uneasy that way, making me wonder if what I don’t know WILL hurt me.

The worst that can happen is you take your first round QB and he sucks, so you find a sucker like Miami to pawn him off to for a 2nd and 5th.

Nope. The worst that can happen is that your QB doesn't suck but doesn't show signs of greatness, you keep then betting on the guy that he finds the "IT" factor, you do that for 7 years and your franchise just basically lost a decade working out what they had. That's why Tua is the best and perhaps only real choice we should make. There are few doubts about the talent there, just a question his health, you will know the answers way sooner and if they are negative you won't have seven years figuring it out.

Last edited:
That’s a completely voluntary crisis. That possibility is not baked in as soon as you make the pick. It involves future bad decisions.

I could say, we shouldn’t take a left tackle because all that’s gonna happen is we are gonna trade him once he finally gets good.

Or, we shouldn’t take a safety because when he throws a hissy fit about how we use him, we will just end up having to trade him.

Same thing.

That’s a completely voluntary crisis. That possibility is not baked in as soon as you make the pick. It involves future bad decisions.

I could say, we shouldn’t take a left tackle because all that’s gonna happen is we are gonna trade him once he finally gets good.

Or, we shouldn’t take a safety because when he throws a hissy fit about how we use him, we will just end up having to trade him.

Same thing.

I'm not sure what you are going on about here in relation to my point. That's absolutely not relevant. The worst situation is not a QB that sucks, in fact that is way preferable to a one that doesn't either suck or is a hit, because teams waste so much time working out what they have, you give QBs you draft high more time that you do LTs, safeties or any other position. Zona did the smartest thing ever in not falling into that trap, the skins and Giants are probably headed down that road and the Bengals are eventually getting out of it, while the Titans are re-entering it with a new guy.

I'm not sure what you are going on about here in relation to my point. That's absolutely not relevant. The worst situation is not a QB that sucks, in fact that is way preferable to a one that doesn't either suck or is a hit, because teams waste so much time working out what they have, you give QBs you draft high more time that you do LTs, safeties or any other position. Zona did the smartest thing ever in not falling into that trap, the skins and Giants are probably headed down that road and the Bengals are eventually getting out of it, while the Titans are re-entering it with a new guy.

If QB is just not sucking, even if he is showing progress, you should still be looking to upgrade the position. Short of HOF QB play, really, you should be looking to upgrade. It's the most important position. Don't limit yourself/your team.

If QB is just not sucking, even if he is showing progress, you should still be looking to upgrade the position. Short of HOF QB play, really, you should be looking to upgrade. It's the most important position. Don't limit yourself/your team.

I don't disagree but there are very few, if any examples of this playing out, teams virtually always give that QB too much time. If the QB obviously sucks you move on way faster. For example the Bills and Jets should be making this call after the first two years with their guys but they probably won't.

No. You get the QB for the contract, a four year superbowl window. Unless there is a reason to believe the QB will not deliver on the four year contract, there is no reason to draft another. It's all about the contract, four years, and the goal.
That is also the reason you do not look for a guy who can play but only for prospects who are likely to live up to the rookie four year contract, to take you to the superbowl.

Back
Top Bottom