The Top 3 QB's are gone: Which QB would you pick late? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Top 3 QB's are gone: Which QB would you pick late?

Amazes me that people still hold a candle for Josh Rosen.

This isn't a guy we've been waiting years to 'get over the hump'.

This is a guy we've been waiting years to not be abjectly terrible at the sport.

Yet you're always going on about Jordan Love, who's even more terrible at the sport at the collegiate level than Josh Rosen ever was.

Yet you're always going on about Jordan Love, who's even more terrible at the sport at the collegiate level than Josh Rosen ever was.

That's not it. He is banging the drum for Jake Fromm. Can you imagine trying to match points against Patrick Mahomes in a key playoff game when your quarterback is Jake Fromm? That's what I was thinking about in the 4th quarter tonight when the result already seemed inevitable although the 49ers still led. Somebody is going to draft Jake Fromm relatively high given the current realities of the NFL. Beyond scary.

It's all about the math. I love a team constructed like the 49ers. But simply too many things have to go right when you build a team like that. You have to win too many decisions during the personnel process. You have a short window even if you do win an unlikely huge majority of the decisions. Then during the games themselves you have very low margin for error when your quarterback is outmatched. A 10 point lead in a Garropolo/Mahomes deficit is hardly the equivalent of a typical 10 point lead.

It is the reason Slimm properly said he hoped Fromm returned to Georgia, since he wasn't scared of matching point to point against Fromm in the Alabama/Georgia matchup next season. Why would he be? Fromm put up something like 3 points in the 4th quarter of his two meetings with Alabama. I detailed it months ago.

Anyone knocking Josh Rosen is too much in love with their own subjectivity. Yes, he's played awful. He is not awful. I thought he was overrated approaching the draft. I posted that thread from another site titled, "Why Josen Rosen isn't the quarterback you think he is," an article that spotlighted Rosen's failures on 3rd down. Now it has flipped to Rosen substantially underrated. You aren't supposed to be stubborn enough not to recognize the difference.

The Dolphins' mistake was bringing in Ryan Fitzpatrick. I suggested Malik Rosier. That would have been the equivalent of the Bengals starting Ryan Finley.

Anyone knocking Josh Rosen is justified and on the correct side of history.

Lot of silliness going on in here, dressed up to look like wisdom. Good luck with that.

I would say they might be justified based on what they've seen so far, but it's not like players don't or can't improve and grow. The Rosen you see in a year or two could be a completely different looking player. The question is what do you think Rosen, or any young qb for that matter, will look like once you're done coaching them up and building a half way decent team around them? I don't know that we can completely close the book on Rosen's career.

If QB is just not sucking, even if he is showing progress, you should still be looking to upgrade the position. Short of HOF QB play, really, you should be looking to upgrade. It's the most important position. Don't limit yourself/your team.
KC litterally did that, they moved up to get Mahomes with Smith already on the roster. When you successfully upgrade over a decent QB, you also reset the rookie salary clock. Easy game.
I don't disagree but there are very few, if any examples of this playing out, teams virtually always give that QB too much time. If the QB obviously sucks you move on way faster. For example the Bills and Jets should be making this call after the first two years with their guys but they probably won't.
You are building a sub optimal strategy to account for the future mistakes of your GM... Losing proposition. Build an optimal strategy, if your GM cant execute it, change the GM, not the strategy.
It's all about the math. I love a team constructed like the 49ers. But simply too many things have to go right when you build a team like that. You have to win too many decisions during the personnel process. You have a short window even if you do win an unlikely huge majority of the decisions. Then during the games themselves you have very low margin for error when your quarterback is outmatched. A 10 point lead in a Garropolo/Mahomes deficit is hardly the equivalent of a typical 10 point lead.
49ers lost the game when they decided 10-10 at the half was a favorable situation for them... No idea what the hell they were thinking...

Last edited:
If this happens, I roll will Rosen. All of the other QBs in the drafts are overrated and not worth a 1st round pick.

However, this is highly unlikely. Tua or Herbert will be available at 5.

I would say they might be justified based on what they've seen so far, but it's not like players don't or can't improve and grow. The Rosen you see in a year or two could be a completely different looking player. The question is what do you think Rosen, or any young qb for that matter, will look like once you're done coaching them up and building a half way decent team around them? I don't know that we can completely close the book on Rosen's career.

The problem is, players don’t become completely different players. They make subtle improvements in key areas that can set off a chain reaction that can see more dramatic shifts in results, efficiency, etc. There can also be circumstances that change and do the same. But they rarely become completely different players, especially once they’ve reached a certain point in their adulthood.

At this point, a completely different player for Josh Rosen would involve graduating to being average. That’s how far away he is.

The problem is, players don’t become completely different players. They make subtle improvements in key areas that can set off a chain reaction that can see more dramatic shifts in results, efficiency, etc. There can also be circumstances that change and do the same. But they rarely become completely different players, especially once they’ve reached a certain point in their adulthood.

At this point, a completely different player for Josh Rosen would involve graduating to being average. That’s how far away he is.
Yup! There's really no reason to flat out cut him now but he shouldnt even be in the discussion when planning for the position going foward... The guys role on this team is pretty much the same as a guy you drafted in the 7th round 2 years ago at this point...

These two posts very much seem to contradict themselves.

How so? First of all, this team is run by negligent criminals. Their only goal is to steal money, torture the fanbase, waste time, fk around, and steal more money. They know nothing else. They are like drug lords. They are idiots, criminals, completely nonproductive waste of space on earth. That's Stephen Ross and Chris Grier.

If they weren't a waste of space on earth, they would have done something productive, get a QB to compete for superbowl, as the #1 priority. But what did they do? They got Josh Rosen, For what? Certainly not to compete for superbowl. They got him to fk around, waste time, deal drugs, steal paychecks, torture the fanbase for another year, and another.

Did Stephen Ross get the best GM? No. He got some fkn secretary from the building to be the GM, who has never done or acomplished a damn thing.
Did he get the best head coach? No. He got some first year project.
Did he get the best defensive coordinator? Did he get Spags or Del Rio? No.

This is not even a professional team. It's a fkn dumpster fire run by criminals.

Now, an honest intelligent working man, productive member of the society, a normal person, will get the QB pronto because he has a job to do which is to win, and will draft him and pay him and know why he is doing that. It's not going to be: Let's see how it goes. No. He will hire him and the QB will fkn play to win. He better!
Not after the hip heals, not after 10 years, and so forth. No! Right now!

How so? First of all, this team is run by negligent criminals. Their only goal is to steal money, torture the fanbase, waste time, fk around, and steal more money. They know nothing else. They are like drug lords. They are idiots, criminals, completely nonproductive waste of space on earth. That's Stephen Ross and Chris Grier.

If they weren't a waste of space on earth, they would have done something productive, get a QB to compete for superbowl, as the #1 priority. But what did they do? They got Josh Rosen, For what? Certainly not to compete for superbowl. They got him to fk around, waste time, deal drugs, steal paychecks, torture the fanbase for another year, and another.

Did Stephen Ross get the best GM? No. He got some fkn secretary from the building to be the GM, who has never done or acomplished a damn thing.
Did he get the best head coach? No. He got some first year project.
Did he get the best defensive coordinator? Did he get Spags or Del Rio? No.

This is not even a professional team. It's a fkn dumpster fire run by criminals.

Now, an honest intelligent working man, productive member of the society, a normal person, will get the QB pronto because he has a job to do which is to win, and will draft him and pay him and know why he is doing that. It's not going to be: Let's see how it goes. No. He will hire him and the QB will fkn play to win. He better!
Not after the hip heals, not after 10 years, and so forth. No! Right now!
This is one hell of a post. Man you have my head spinning!
Hey I guess to each thier own.
But I think the one point I have to sit here and ponder the most after all you state is your answer to it all is Gordon at 5. If you dont mind me a bit more time to digest. But I for sure appreciate your hard line stance.

Let's say Burrow goes #1, someone trades to 3 for Tua, and someone trades into 4 for Herbert.
Is there a QB that you like that you would grab later on? Or would you just pass altogether?

If Burrow, Tua, and Herbert are gone, I'm waiting until 2021. I'm not as high on Love as some others here, and I feel he's too risky to hang a rebuild on.

Can you imagine trying to match points against Patrick Mahomes in a key playoff game when your quarterback is Jake Fromm?

Garoppolo was beating Mahomes with 3 minutes left in the Super Bowl. Fromm could be a Garoppolo. I don't think you need another Mahomes to beat Mahomes.

PS - Josh Rosen is not going to be a great QB for Miami, and he should be worried about making the roster in 2020. I dont see us keeping 3 QB's, and Fitz is returning.

Anyone knocking Josh Rosen is justified and on the correct side of history.

Lot of silliness going on in here, dressed up to look like wisdom. Good luck with that.
Pride often comes before the fall. I read that somewhere once.
It's entirely possible that some players have success under one group of coaches, and then fail in another situation with other coaches. Coaches who struggle (like both the Cards and Dolphins in Rosen's only two seasons in the NFL) have significantly less successful players.

"Silliness" dressed up in wisdom? I can back up anything I've said with the film I've posted. Big boys should be able to have different opinions without all the insults. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom