The Tua-point conversion | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Tua-point conversion

I didn't mind the play call for the few yards needed. It was high percentage pass that got a supposed playmaker out in space, and also did not allow time for a sack. Just didn't work. Pretty much any other call you could find flaws with given the talent on the field.

Were they throwing passes behind the LOS for that OL to block for in order to move down the field for those 2 TDs?

Coaches are going to call plays they are familiar with and have seen similar success stories with. Flores did that. He chose a play that New England used *in nearly an identical situation* that succeeded.

Now, if you want to argue that he should've never made that call because our players are bad, that's fine, but that's not what we're arguing. We're arguing whether he is intentionally tanking so bad with that play call that we will be investigated and the evidence is a resounding NO

The surprise would have been Drake making the catch and every Washington player falling down at the same time. Drake would grab his ankle and we would still be waiting for the ref to blow the whistle and end that play.

Regardless if it isn't unprecedented Drake blatantly dropped the pass on purpose

I'm okay with going for it. BUT, the play called was terrible! That, IMO, was a perfect example of a Gase playcall in a critical situation. Throwing it at or behind the line of scrimmage with an inept o-line was probably Gase's favorite play. Besides, Drake sucks this year... why trust him with the game on the line? I'm beginning to think that the management is actively tanking, due to that playcall and the fact that they refused to build a competent o-line so that they could properly evaluate Rosen. If their plan is to draft another QB with their first pick next year, the smart thing to do would have been to have a competent o-line in place to protect that new QB!
My seat neighbor immediately said: "****, is Gase back?"
:lol:

Not to be a downer, but does this play invite scrutiny from the league given all the tank talk? For one, not often does a coach decide to go for 2 to end a game in regular season when the xp would tie it up. That in of itself is suspicious. But then the playcall is even more suspicious. If you wanted to call a play that had the least likely chance of succeeding, it would be a pass play at the goal line that is thrown to a receiver several yards out of the end zone...
Its a good point. To be honest, I have no problem with going for two. The offense was on a roll, it's do or die, three yards for a win essentially. But I do agree the playcall was odd. You've got two taller receivers in Parker and Williams, at least give them a chance in the endzone. I couldn't tell, but looked like even if Drake catches the pass there's not much chance to score, coverage seemingly was there???

Coaches are going to call plays they are familiar with and have seen similar success stories with. Flores did that. He chose a play that New England used *in nearly an identical situation* that succeeded.

Now, if you want to argue that he should've never made that call because our players are bad, that's fine, but that's not what we're arguing. We're arguing whether he is intentionally tanking so bad with that play call that we will be investigated and the evidence is a resounding NO

I don't think this specific play will launch an investigation, but it is just one more bit of possible evidence thrown on the pile of a "tanking inquiry" by the league at the end of the year if they choose to pursue it. I don't think they will because it remains very difficult to prove a team is actually TRYING to lose on purpose, but I also don't think its outside the realm of possibility altogether, especially if there are other more obvious signs along the way.

They already have:
  1. The owner almost admitting before the season that the plan is to tank
  2. The GM essentially echoing that thought process
  3. The GM completely gutting the roster
  4. The GM trading off their best players on the eve of the season
  5. The GM cutting several players in favor of camp fodder on the eve of the season
  6. Sitting star players who practiced all week with minor injuries for "key" games (X for Skins game)
  7. Players like Minkah forcing their way off the team because their perception was that the team was tanking and they weren't on board for that
Its obvious to most that at least the FO is in on the tank. Gutting the team in such a way is almost unheard of. And this QB class has been hyped for years.

It's much more difficult to prove a coaching staff is in on it, and I sincerely hope they aren't because if they are they should be fired. Obviously the players are not in on it, but the roster is constructed in such a way as to not require players be in on it to lose.

Ultimately, I doubt anything comes of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if by end of season you start hearing other owners complaining and some murmurings of a "look" into Dolphins with nothing really coming of it.

Lmao it was a blatant tank call. Throwing a bass behind the LOS when you have the worst o-line in football? LMAO you gotta love it.

Umm, that was my point, there is no sure fire player. Just cracks me up that everyone is on this Tua wagon based on a guy who is playing with an all star cast. Everyone here acts like they’re pro college scouts. Cracks me up. We have to hope Grier actually does know what he’s doing

What flaws do you see in his game? Footwork? Throwing motion? Progressions? Anticipation? What exactly is your issue? And who is your preferred QB for 2020?

Not to be a downer, but does this play invite scrutiny from the league given all the tank talk? For one, not often does a coach decide to go for 2 to end a game in regular season when the xp would tie it up. That in of itself is suspicious. But then the playcall is even more suspicious. If you wanted to call a play that had the least likely chance of succeeding, it would be a pass play at the goal line that is thrown to a receiver several yards out of the end zone...

Let me see if I can you understand your logic. So by the Dolphins going for two points to win the game, you think they were trying to lose the game?

It was the right call to go for the win. We would have to rely on a coin flip, rely on our defense or rely on our offense compared to just needing 5 yards in the moment to win the game.

Teams make that decision to go for two in that situation allllll the time, every year, every week. And it's the right call, especially if you are playing at home.

I have no problem with the playcall considering our QB situation.

Do I trust Drake to run it in? Do I trust Fitz/Rosen to make the right throw decision?

No to both.

So, people always whine about playcall game because it’s easier in hindsight. Had the play been executed and we won? We’d be having a complete reversal of conversation. That’s a sign right there that the argument is flawed and subjective.

The patriots and other teams have run that play with success.

They were not trying to lose the game with that play. They ran it all week in practice, only with Walton instead of Drake. Fitz should have checked OUT of it as the defense beefed up hard to that side, and it was obvious pre-snap you weren't squeezing Drake through there. Having said that, if they play had worked, this site would need 90 new servers for all the bitching that we had just lost out on the draft pick. One other thing that is driving me freaking nuts is the contingent of people here, on FB and other sites that say "we should be playing Fitz", or "not playing Fitz proves we are tanking". BS. If Fitz plays at an all time level, we win maybe... 3 or 4 games? He is not our future, won't ever be. You play Rosen for 2 reasons - Find out if he can be any part of our future, AND/OR to hope he shows well enough to warrant a decent pick in a trade at some point. You have to know what you've got with this kid. So far it's not too exciting, but playing Fitz has ZERO value to this franchise this year or next.

Why would the NFL investigate anything? I think the Fins tried to win this game, and made the moves necessary during the game to make it competitive. If anything, this eliminates some of the tank talk.......

Now I did not like the play call at all. I think you either pound that in or you throw it in the endzone.....but we throw behind the sticks all the time in the hopes that someone makes a play. Didn't surprise me, but thought it was a bad call. Drake didn't drop that on purpose. There was a defender who read the play and was right there to blow it up....Drake took his eyes off the ball to defend himself. Even if he catches it, the Redskins stop that play.

Back
Top Bottom