This Elam kid.... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Elam kid....

Bill C said:
On a personal note - Saban just dropped several notches in my book - I lost a great deal of respect for the man today.

:shakeno: You'll get over it.

enough w/ the judging...

I personally couldn't care less about what Elam did OFF THE FIELD...
As a long time dolphin fan as well as a member of our criminal justice system, I don't see the need to judge someone's character solely based on the merit of past convictions, especially on a sports fan website. I get an overwhelming dose of hypocrisy on a daily basis at work (and for anyone out there who is also employed in the political/legal realm you know what I mean), but to read this "this team/league is better off w/out Elam because of his criminal convictions is ridiculus, irrelavent and unappropriate... This is finheaven not Heaven- so lets stop playing GOD and judge the player's effort and efficiency instead of their off the field mistakes.

I am a Florida lawyer who has worked in the area of employment law. I think this is clear, but let me make it so if it is not. There is no law, especially in the state of Florida, that requires employers to disregard a criminal past in choosing to hire or not hire an employee. End of story.

The only issue in this case is if this guy is someone you want to represent your team. I don't care to give second chances to rapists. There are some crimes that speak to character and this seems like all I need or ever want to know about this man.

I hope you all know that their was alot of teams that was trying to sign him, and the Pats was one of them.

DolphinDevil28 said:
The Pars, now that's the team that always goes 8-8, right? :D

Sure is.... :lol:

I am sure you knew that i meant the Pats, but dont worry...i fixed it.

miamirick said:
For the most part, I am on board with just about everything that Saban has done thus far...but here is something that I feel the need to speak up about...

Although this kid, Abram Elam, the one with the "checkered past" to say the least, probably is a huge long shot to make the team and most likely won't even make a dent in the roster...I take issue with even looking at the guy...I have to say that it really is disgusting how far teams will go to look for so called talent.

He was one of four charged with sexually assaulting a female and the ONLY one convicted of FELONY SEXUAL BATTERY. When is enough enough? Is a murder conviction enough? Maybe child molestation?

Some will say that he has paid his debt to society, yada-yada-yada...but is this really the type of person that the Dolphins want on their team? Maybe

this guy does have what it takes...I guess that will make it OK to cheer for a freaking sexual offender. In my opinion...it isn't.

From a fan's point of view...it has been proven time and time again that people with these types of troubled pasts eventually find their way back to trouble....remember the guy who once wore 34 before Ricky came along?

Like I said, the guy probably won't be around very long, but I really don't think that he even deserves the right to even wear a Miami Dolphin's practice jersey.

Just my 2 cents.

Girls lie alot..Don't know the details of his situatuion, but it sounded to me like he was the fall guy. This kid has alot fo physical tools and upside. He paid for his crime, now let's move on..

awing_pilot said:
Ok first off anyone who hurts a child should rot it the pits of hell after the worst torture known to mankind whatever that may be (don't believe me become a parent). Second is people who abuse/rape women. With that said:

We are hiring him due to his ability on the field it is against the law for us to deny him the ability to try out based on his past. According to the laws of the land, Yes in fact he has paid his time and continues to do so with the lifetime penalties that are brought upon him by being a felon (has to register with police, no vote, special clearence need for leaving the country, not ever able work a security clearence job, and more i just don't remember them all) If you don't like the punishment thats not his fault write your politicians and get them to fix it.

There already are murderes, rapists, wife beaters, Drug dealers, Criminals, and all other sorts fo characters in not only the NFL but NBA, MLB, and hockey. So why is it ok for One guy to get convicted of murder and play. One guy on our team to hit his wife and be ok, but since this guy YOU don't like. its suddenly not OK. If you want these guys banned you can't just pick and choose which ones you want.

So some of the top guys who have cleared up there past aren't allowed to play anymore.. oh wait just the guys you don't like. You can't have it both ways.

Not so I have hated the fact that since the exit of Shula so many character issues have entered into miami. Joe Robbie Stadium should not be an acronymn for halfway house or unsuccessfull mental deficiency help center.

he's an undrafted free agent. i doubt the teams care too much about an undrafted free agent's past when they sign him

kastofsna120 said:
he's an undrafted free agent. i doubt the teams care too much about an undrafted free agent's past when they sign him

Not true, i read in a article that Saban looked up alot of background info on Elam.

Let's all remember the chances the Dolphins gave to Demetrius Underwood, Lawrence Phillips, and as already mentioned Cecil Collins.

Once a bad egg - always a bad egg. Why waist time and effort with Elam b/c 1. he's not even going to make the roster 2. if he does make it - he'll f**k us eventually. Maybe even sexually assault our mascot.

cuban_refugee said:
Let's all remember the chances the Dolphins gave to Demetrius Underwood, Lawrence Phillips, and as already mentioned Cecil Collins.

Bobby Humphreys, Hollywood Henderson ...

Back
Top Bottom