This Elam kid.... | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Elam kid....

miamirick said:
For the most part, I am on board with just about everything that Saban has done thus far...but here is something that I feel the need to speak up about...

Although this kid, Abram Elam, the one with the "checkered past" to say the least, probably is a huge long shot to make the team and most likely won't even make a dent in the roster...I take issue with even looking at the guy...I have to say that it really is disgusting how far teams will go to look for so called talent.

He was one of four charged with sexually assaulting a female and the ONLY one convicted of FELONY SEXUAL BATTERY. When is enough enough? Is a murder conviction enough? Maybe child molestation?

Some will say that he has paid his debt to society, yada-yada-yada...but is this really the type of person that the Dolphins want on their team? Maybe this guy does have what it takes...I guess that will make it OK to cheer for a freaking sexual offender. In my opinion...it isn't.

From a fan's point of view...it has been proven time and time again that people with these types of troubled pasts eventually find their way back to trouble....remember the guy who once wore 34 before Ricky came along?

Like I said, the guy probably won't be around very long, but I really don't think that he even deserves the right to even wear a Miami Dolphin's practice jersey.

Just my 2 cents.

No arguments here.

Just Worth a Look see?

Elam, 23, is considered a long shot to make the Dolphins' 53-man roster. A spot on the developmental squad is a more likely possibility if Elam is impressive during the preseason.

miamirick said:
I agree with giving people a second chance...but I also think that some offenses don't deserve a second chance...the one in question included.

Let me take this to a personal level for all of you...If the female that was sexually assaulted was your daughter or your sister, would you condone giving him a second chance? I know I wouldn't. Heck, if I ever got my hands on him, he'd be lucky to still be alive as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Don King is concerned...I don't know that anyone really gave him a second chance, I think he made his own second chance...that being said, he is argueably one of the most hated figures in all of sports.

My point is how can you judge whether this offense deserves a second chance? You don't know the facts. Maybe it does and maybe it does not but I would hope that before passing judgment you would look at all the facts and make a determination based on that and not on summary conclusions

FinzManiac said:
I wish I knew enough about what happened to comment, but I don't...so I am not going to. :(

Smartest post in the thread, I also don't know the exact details so I will withhold judgement for now, I suspect many judging him aren't all that familiar with all the facts of this case either.

jlfin said:
No one is saying that a team shouldn't give him an opportunity. Most of us are just saying that we don't want that team to be the Dolphins. The Miami Dolphins have historically been one of the classiest franchises in the NFL (mostly due to Shula) and I for one, would like to keep it that way. As the father of a 15 yo daughter I don't want a low character individual like Elam on this team.

How can you and others be talking about low character, when you are expressing low character yourselves with your various comments...You do NOT know this kid, the exact circumstances of the situation, and what he has done to try to redeem himself. You all are assuming that because some convicted felons have resorted back to their evil ways, that everyone of them has...What hypocracy...

I also have a daughter...I share the same concerns that you or any normal parent would in regards to the well being of our children. But to say that my daughter is in danger because of this kid is ludicrous. She is in more danger walking down the street in Sunrise than from Elam.

I only know what I have read myself and what I have read shows me that this kid is trying to get out of the mess he put himself in. He has done his pentinence (sp), and continued on towards finishing is college education, has not been in any trouble since the incident (BTW, comes from a rather troubled youth, which only shows that he is still fighting to distance himself from that). Has he paid enough ?? Not for me to judge, but the fact that he continues to show his remorse and continues to try to work himself out of that situation shows me that he is sincere in his efforts to redeem himself completely. With attitudes like you and others are showing here, he will never get the chance to dig out of the hole he has dug for himself....Is that fair to the kid ??

Now, that said, he still has to continue to prove the naysayers wrong with his behavior. In fact, his behavior has to be exemplary. That is a given...but even if he stays clean for the next 209 years, he'll probably never be absolved of the situation simply because of attitudes like yours and the others that have posted on here.

Each case, each individual has to be judged on that persons individual merits. The courts have now given this kid the mandate to repay his debt, now lets give him that opportunity...not throw him in the garbage and assume he'll always be bad.

BTW, isn't part of the definition of a class organization the ability to work with your employees to develop them into better employees and better persons ?? I think the Fins have shown that in the past (Shula, JJ, and Wanny) as well as with this case...

awing_pilot said:
Ok first off anyone who hurts a child should rot it the pits of hell after the worst torture known to mankind whatever that may be (don't believe me become a parent). Second is people who abuse/rape women. With that said:

We are hiring him due to his ability on the field it is against the law for us to deny him the ability to try out based on his past. According to the laws of the land, Yes in fact he has paid his time and continues to do so with the lifetime penalties that are brought upon him by being a felon (has to register with police, no vote, special clearence need for leaving the country, not ever able work a security clearence job, and more i just don't remember them all) If you don't like the punishment thats not his fault write your politicians and get them to fix it.

There already are murderes, rapists, wife beaters, Drug dealers, Criminals, and all other sorts fo characters in not only the NFL but NBA, MLB, and hockey. So why is it ok for One guy to get convicted of murder and play. One guy on our team to hit his wife and be ok, but since this guy YOU don't like. its suddenly not OK. If you want these guys banned you can't just pick and choose which ones you want.

So some of the top guys who have cleared up there past aren't allowed to play anymore.. oh wait just the guys you don't like. You can't have it both ways.

Thank you!!! :yell:

You are a fool if you think you have the story 100%...

Nick likely does..., and he is comfortable adding the guy..., to the team..., no..., to the already large group of players signed to practice...!

You are a fool..., for openning your mouth because this is an old regurgitated thread from a few days ago...

For all you know..., Nick signed a few more safeties for the H2 and KJ to run over....

Man..., you piss me off..., this young man still has a future..., likely another 50 years to live and you want to stick him in a prison for life or better yet just shoot the *******!

You don't have the full story..., yet very likely Nick does how do you feel about that Judge and Jury...

awing_pilot said:
Ok first off anyone who hurts a child should rot it the pits of hell after the worst torture known to mankind whatever that may be (don't believe me become a parent). Second is people who abuse/rape women. With that said:

We are hiring him due to his ability on the field it is against the law for us to deny him the ability to try out based on his past. According to the laws of the land, Yes in fact he has paid his time and continues to do so with the lifetime penalties that are brought upon him by being a felon (has to register with police, no vote, special clearence need for leaving the country, not ever able work a security clearence job, and more i just don't remember them all) If you don't like the punishment thats not his fault write your politicians and get them to fix it.

There already are murderes, rapists, wife beaters, Drug dealers, Criminals, and all other sorts fo characters in not only the NFL but NBA, MLB, and hockey. So why is it ok for One guy to get convicted of murder and play. One guy on our team to hit his wife and be ok, but since this guy YOU don't like. its suddenly not OK. If you want these guys banned you can't just pick and choose which ones you want.

So some of the top guys who have cleared up there past aren't allowed to play anymore.. oh wait just the guys you don't like. You can't have it both ways.

agreed

mugen said:
I'm not condoning anything he has done but he was the only one not tried for rape, the other three players were. The other three were not convicted partly because the victim stayed the rest of the night at the players house and got a ride home with him the next day. Elam admitted to touching the girl inappropriatley, and that she had sex with the other three willingly and didn't report it until a week later. If we don't at least give people a chance to prove they have learned from their mistakes then we all better be real careful. He had the backing of a lot of people in his home town that pledged money to Kent State after they gave him another chance. So I think we should see what the kid can do.

Finally somone that knows at least something about the case beyond "he was convicted of a sex crime" Guys we have to trust saban that he knows what he is doing. If Saban says he did an investigation and then signed this kid, then our minds should be at ease.

yankeehillbilly said:
All we can go on is what the courts said. I read a summary of the trial and there are parts that sound sketchy, but he was convicted by a jury. (7 men 5 women). Thats everyday people just like all of us, but who saw and heard the evidence first hand.
As for not letting his past be a problem...... how do you balance being a nice person and giving a guy a chance with the need to protect your organization and its employees?
I've served jury duty before and I'm not real impressed with the people that I've served with. A jury aquitted O.J. so I think that pretty much tells you what I think about jury's.

BlueFin said:
Smartest post in the thread, I also don't know the exact details so I will withhold judgement for now, I suspect many judging him aren't all that familiar with all the facts of this case either.
I posted this article earlier in this thread, if you really care to know more take a little time and read it. http://www.newtimesbpb.com/issues/2...ture_print.html

Convicted, continual punishment, etc.

The word "convicted" carries a lot of weight with a lot of you, regardless of analysis of what happened.

Continual punishment for the act is also a popular view point. This view point is obviously carried by the victom based on the Chicago newspaper interview. She is so bothered by the event she read the paper every day to see if the guys involved would be signed? Elam appears to be the only one of the four that may not have even had sexual intercourse with the woman. This by no means condones his behavior. He is guilty of the crime period. But by doing the crime is he to live in guilt hell the rest of his life according to many of you. The logic here is as long as the victom suffers he should suffer, even if a lifetime. She has stated she continues to suffer.

I realize this will tick off many of you even discussing the measure of his guilt. I ask those of you who say he has no right to play in the NFL? What does he do? What does he have a right to do if he is forgiveable? I say all this with the hope that he is a changed man, but I do not know him. He certainly will have a short rope, and justifably so.

As perplexing as it is to question the guy's right to work, it is equally perplexing to read some of the threads that more or less dismiss his behavior. It can not be dismissed. Threads that attack the victom's story are equally repulsive. The best threads refuse to comment for lack of information. And I should have taken that road. But I am more concerned about moral reasoning here, and it goes beyond football.

He received judgement from the court, he will pay natural consequences for such throughout his life, and he is a long shot to make the team. If he does make the team he would have shown ample evidence of moving in a direction away from his past?

There is a need for desenting arguments and defense of the decision made. It sparks important debate about subject matter that goes beyond football talk. In my own mind I ask the question about my desire to support a winner and hold the moral high ground at the same time. I wonder about forgiveness and payment for sin. I wonder if I am a sell out or one prone to be fair. That is a more disturbing thing to me than this player's right to play.

Lee2000 :confused: :(

Alxphins said:
My point is how can you judge whether this offense deserves a second chance? You don't know the facts. Maybe it does and maybe it does not but I would hope that before passing judgment you would look at all the facts and make a determination based on that and not on summary conclusions

It is my stance that I don't have to know the facts of the case...actually, there is only one fact of this case that I know for sure...that he was found to be guilty by a jury of his peers. In other words, it is not my place to judge, that has already been done for me. I am basing my opinion on that fact and that fact alone. I am also taking into consideration what he was found guilty of...this was no j-walking ticket...it was a sexual battery on a female which in our society, is viewed as one of the most hanous (sp) crimes that one can commit. It is one step away from rape.

Back
Top Bottom