This Elam kid.... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Elam kid....

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
I agree with some of the stated positions... I just think IMO that Saban is just giving this kid a chance.. He didn't state that he is making the team.. Who knows, he maybe he is a diamond in the rough! We have all made mistakes in our lives. Some more egregious than others. Elam has paid and will continually to pay for his actions. Everyone deserves aleast a second chance in life... Look! at Don King for example... He served time for killing someone... Look at him now!!!!

I agree with giving people a second chance...but I also think that some offenses don't deserve a second chance...the one in question included.

Let me take this to a personal level for all of you...If the female that was sexually assaulted was your daughter or your sister, would you condone giving him a second chance? I know I wouldn't. Heck, if I ever got my hands on him, he'd be lucky to still be alive as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Don King is concerned...I don't know that anyone really gave him a second chance, I think he made his own second chance...that being said, he is argueably one of the most hated figures in all of sports.

awing_pilot said:
So why is it ok for One guy to get convicted of murder and play. One guy on our team to hit his wife and be ok, but since this guy YOU don't like. its suddenly not OK. If you want these guys banned you can't just pick and choose which ones you want.

Who says I was? I was uncomfortable with Rodgers when he ran into trouble to. McMicheal as far as I know hasn't had anything go to trial and no charges filed (going off memory here which is faulty ;p ). However McMicheals case is no where in the realm of this guys.

awing_pilot said:
Ok first off anyone who hurts a child should rot it the pits of hell after the worst torture known to mankind whatever that may be (don't believe me become a parent). Second is people who abuse/rape women. With that said:

We are hiring him due to his ability on the field it is against the law for us to deny him the ability to try out based on his past. According to the laws of the land, Yes in fact he has paid his time and continues to do so with the lifetime penalties that are brought upon him by being a felon (has to register with police, no vote, special clearence need for leaving the country, not ever able work a security clearence job, and more i just don't remember them all) If you don't like the punishment thats not his fault write your politicians and get them to fix it.

There already are murderes, rapists, wife beaters, Drug dealers, Criminals, and all other sorts fo characters in not only the NFL but NBA, MLB, and hockey. So why is it ok for One guy to get convicted of murder and play. One guy on our team to hit his wife and be ok, but since this guy YOU don't like. its suddenly not OK. If you want these guys banned you can't just pick and choose which ones you want.

So some of the top guys who have cleared up there past aren't allowed to play anymore.. oh wait just the guys you don't like. You can't have it both ways.
:yeahthat: Great post man!

His coach at Kent State was Dean Pees who is now coaching for the Patriots and I think is the guy we wanted for our defensive coach, so that probably also played a part in Nick signing him.

miamirick said:
I agree with giving people a second chance...but I also think that some offenses don't deserve a second chance...the one in question included.

Heck, in that case, why don't we shoot sex offenders the second they're convicted? It would save the state a lot of money. :rolleyes:

DrAstroZoom said:
Heck, in that case, why don't we shoot sex offenders the second they're convicted? It would save the state a lot of money. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Shoot, no...lock 'em up and throw away the keys? ABSO-FREAKIN_LUTELY!!!

Have you read the newspaper article later mentioned in this thread?

miamirick said:
For the most part, I am on board with just about everything that Saban has done thus far...but here is something that I feel the need to speak up about...

Although this kid, Abram Elam, the one with the "checkered past" to say the least, probably is a huge long shot to make the team and most likely won't even make a dent in the roster...I take issue with even looking at the guy...I have to say that it really is disgusting how far teams will go to look for so called talent.

He was one of four charged with sexually assaulting a female and the ONLY one convicted of FELONY SEXUAL BATTERY. When is enough enough? Is a murder conviction enough? Maybe child molestation?

Some will say that he has paid his debt to society, yada-yada-yada...but is this really the type of person that the Dolphins want on their team? Maybe this guy does have what it takes...I guess that will make it OK to cheer for a freaking sexual offender. In my opinion...it isn't.

From a fan's point of view...it has been proven time and time again that people with these types of troubled pasts eventually find their way back to trouble....remember the guy who once wore 34 before Ricky came along?

Like I said, the guy probably won't be around very long, but I really don't think that he even deserves the right to even wear a Miami Dolphin's practice jersey.

Just my 2 cents.

Have you read the newspaper article describing what happened, which is sited later in this thread? I find it quite interesting that he was found guilty when others were not. It is quite confusing.

Lee2000

It never fails, there are always some conspiracy theory/we don't know the facts posts in cases like these. The man was convicted and all you can do is judge upon that crime for which he was convicted.

This statement makes me ill:

"Abram is a great kid who obviously persevered over a lot of adversity and continued to move forward with his life," said Paige, a Dolphins fullback from 1990 to 1992. "He has always dreamed about playing in the NFL. The fact he was given an opportunity at all means a great deal to him. It's extra special that it's the Dolphins." -SunSentinel

Is Paige serious? He persevered? Overcame adversity? Screw the veterans on Memorial Day, lets just have a parade for this great American right Tony?

Hopefully at some point this guy will get a chance to speak about any restitution, charity work, etc he's done to make amends for his crime. Just serving your time or keeping out of trouble during your probation isn't enough in my book.

As a fan, I won't root for guys like these and that includes McMichael when there are so many other players worthy of adulation.

DolphinsRising said:
It never fails, there are always some conspiracy theory/we don't know the facts posts in cases like these. The man was convicted and all you can do is judge upon that crime for which he was convicted.

This statement makes me ill:

"Abram is a great kid who obviously persevered over a lot of adversity and continued to move forward with his life," said Paige, a Dolphins fullback from 1990 to 1992. "He has always dreamed about playing in the NFL. The fact he was given an opportunity at all means a great deal to him. It's extra special that it's the Dolphins." -SunSentinel

Is Paige serious? He persevered? Overcame adversity? Screw the veterans on Memorial Day, lets just have a parade for this great American right Tony?

Hopefully at some point this guy will get a chance to speak about any restitution, charity work, etc he's done to make amends for his crime. Just serving your time or keeping out of trouble during your probation isn't enough in my book.

As a fan, I won't root for guys like these and that includes McMichael when there are so many other players worthy of adulation.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't know... Right know it's a PR-nightmare

He has done bad - and there is no excuse in a community for what he'd done. But is the NFL is a billion dollar business - and our new coach wants to win badly. Obviously he has some talent - otherwise he wouldn't haver signed him.

For me it's hard to judge it. I want the phins to win badly - but also I don't want to support bad guys... either way: when the season starts he'll probably has been cut...

I am torn about what cost this young man should pay?

I am torn about what price this man should pay. He has paid the price the law handed down, but I am never sure about the extended price the community hands down. That price can actually play a key role in what direction a young person moves in next. I have worked in prison ministry, and Elam's story just touches the surface of what goes on out there; out of respect I will not share stories I have been told on the inside.

Bad choices seem to be epidemic these days and there are a hundred opinions on the nature and redemption of man. When we cross that line can we ever go back and fix it? Some/many of you say "NO!" It is a difficult question for me, even if it directly applied to my own family situation (victomized).

I am not critical of this coming up in the community, but I find it a perplexing situation. I am glad so many of you are able to figure it out in such a clear, clean manner.

Lee2000 :(

mugen said:
I don't understand why more of you haven't taken the time to read anything about this guy. I've read quite a bit and can't figure out why he was convicted and the other guys were not. Here is a pretty good article on him and what happened. http://www.newtimesbpb.com/issues/2004-04-08/news/feature_print.html I've never added a link before so hopefully that works.
Thats Interesting...At least I know the type of "rapist" he was supposed to be one that never even had penetration with his "victim" Im guessing he had a pisss-poor lawyer considering he wasnt even in the room for 90% of the encounter.

*EDIT* even If you go with her account it was Battery not rape...Im not poo pooing sexual crime but the images I had in my head where far worse than the actual account of the event.

Employers absolutely have the right to not hire someone based on their criminal history. This has been asked and answered. The bigger issue is the hiring practices of professional sports leagues.

The policy should be something like this:

If you have ever been convicted of a felony, you are not eligible for employment in the XXX YYY League/Association. If you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, you can not be drafted by any teams in the XXX YYY League/Association.

If you are a member of any team/organization with the XXX YYY League/Association and are convicted of felony, you may never regain employment within said league/association. If convicted of a violent misdemeanor, player/member is terminated for a period of at least three years. If convicted of a non-violent misdemeanor, player/member is subject to a minimum one year suspension.

I would argue that similar terminology be used at the college and high school levels as well - never play, no scholarship, loss of scholarship, etc.

This type of policy would go a long ways toward curbing/eliminating bad behavior and less than desirable individuals from high paying sports careers.

On a personal note - Saban just dropped several notches in my book - I lost a great deal of respect for the man today.

well the problem I see of not hiring this guy is that there are no second chances. If he is not given an opportunity to turn his life around he may never turn his life around. If a guy who commits a criminal act is branded as a criminal all his life then that is exactly what he is going to be all his life. That hurts society. If a person makes a mistake and his life is ruined because of that mistake he is going to make bigger mistakes to survive due to the fact he cannot find work. Basically gives the mentality everyone gave up on me anyways I might as well prove them to be correct.

Back
Top Bottom