This is what baffles me about Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what baffles me about Saban

enigmatics said:
.............. truly, baffles my mind. Nick Saban makes comments like this and yet is somewhat near a decision to bring back the biggest of defecting defective light bulbs this franchise has ever plugged into it's Christmas tree decor.

I was actually a Bates guy, but as time has gone on, I've loved everything Saban has done with the team thus far..........until this. Anyone else a little at a loss, especially when this ballclub is in dire need of a fresh, clean slate?

Ricky's problem was never on the field (He played his heart out), but off it, Saban is doing the smart thing.

He bringing back a player that has something to prove, and has all the abilities in the world.... If he skips on the team again, np, Miami this time is more then prepared, if he stays and produces, then Miami either rides him as far as he can take them or later on trade him for some value....can't really lose this time with him here.

The big difference is Ricky is no longer and will never be 50+ percent of our offense...if he makes the team great, if not we got RB.

The difference is that the team is not COUNTING on Ricky AT ALL this year. Now if Saban hadn't drafted a RB #1 and THEN tried to bring back Ricky, we'd have a problem. And if Ronnie Brown gets hurt you'll be damn glad we have Ricky, as will the rest of the team. That could actually be the way Ricky gets back in the good graces of the rest of the team -- Brown gets hurt and we don't miss a beat.

Im fine with everything saban has done ( including ricky) except that he missed out on bring Shwartz in as DC. Some of you guys might laugh at me when the Titans D is simply aweful , but he is a pretty good DC and work at Cleveland while Saban was there. He is Young too. back on topic... i think the fins will be fine with or with out ricky

I must admit I have loved just about everything Saban has done so far. I'm not quite sure I completely understand why Nick would take such a gamble on Williams though.Yes I know RW was a premier RB in this league.What I'm referring to is team chemistry.This could be just the distraction the start of his coaching tenure in Miami doesn't need. I guess I'm just not convinced that RW's pluses out weigh his negitives.

enigmatics said:
That's a little bit of a naive perspective to take when considering what exactly transpired last year, don'tcha think? If only it were that simple. That would be like you trusting Wayne to hire Wanny back if that were to come to pass. You'd just say "Hey, Wayne lives in the present, not the past or the future" right?

No, what is naive is thinking that RW brought this franchise to the ground. Jimmy Johnson got the ball rolling and Dave finished it off before he left. Ricky is a footnote in the grand scheme. If the loss of one man can totally destroy a team, then you have to ask yourself what kind of coach would set his team up for failure like that. If Ricky had only gotten hurt (knocked out for the season) and not left, we would likely have still been 4-12. Then what? Who would you be blaming then? Like it or not, the loss of ONE player should NEVER cause a team to have a season such as we had. You can point your finger at someone besides Ricky because he didn't put this franchise where it was last season......Dave and Co. set us up for failure.

Lungoystr said:
No, what is naive is thinking that RW brought this franchise to the ground. Jimmy Johnson got the ball rolling and Dave finished it off before he left. Ricky is a footnote in the grand scheme. If the loss of one man can totally destroy a team, then you have to ask yourself what kind of coach would set his team up for failure like that. If Ricky had only gotten hurt (knocked out for the season) and not left, we would likely have still been 4-12. Then what? Who would you be blaming then? Like it or not, the loss of ONE player should NEVER cause a team to have a season such as we had. You can point your finger at someone besides Ricky because he didn't put this franchise where it was last season......Dave and Co. set us up for failure.
Exactly. You don't design your whole team strategy (offense AND defense) around one player and have TRAVIS MINOR as his backup. Hello?

enigmatics said:
.............. truly, baffles my mind. Nick Saban makes comments like this and yet is somewhat near a decision to bring back the biggest of defecting defective light bulbs this franchise has ever plugged into it's Christmas tree decor.

I was actually a Bates guy, but as time has gone on, I've loved everything Saban has done with the team thus far..........until this. Anyone else a little at a loss, especially when this ballclub is in dire need of a fresh, clean slate?

What baffles my mind is that you took something PFT said and took it for the truth. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Saban is clearly using Ricky to develop his trade value. As it stands today we get nothing for him until he proves his worth.

As for the statement regarding Saban can "control" Ricky.... Please! How does any intelligent person believe they can control a guy who has a disease that makes him a totally erratic flake? Saban's best move to help the team is to bring Ricky back, show he still can play, then trade his arse for the highest pick you can get. That might give us an extra pick in a relatively high round that will let us move up even higher possibly. Since this team is rebuilding, that is the sound strategy.

Lungoystr said:

They sure did set it up to fail. Trading dang near their left testicle to the WIN NOW theory. Trading aways two first rounders for a Rb with great talent that has mental issues was not too bright either.

Your theory is sound though. Look at when Marino went down. They stuck in the backup, and went right on winning at least more than they lost.

Having a Qb go down would be far more important IMO, than a Rb, but this team was built soley around Solid Defense, and Running the football, with no backup Rb's. Shame on Dave, but I would still like to kick Mr. Williams in the nads, because he did not go out with an injury, he simply turned his back on the Dolphins.

MrClean said:
Perhaps Saban doesn't share your opinion about the light bulb known as Ricky Williams having a negative effect on the Dolphins Xmas tree decor.
I trust the opinion of Saban way more than that of any outside observer, be they sports writer, fan, whatever, about whether we should or shouldn't bring in players like Ricky Williams, and for that matter Abram Elam.

I really don't care if you trust my opinion or not.

WindyCityDolfan said:
:rolleyes: That is a rediculous comparison. Ricky showed who he is (unbelievable speed and power) and made 1 mistake (big one though) related to his disability,

on the other hand, Wanny was given 5 years, made 568 mistakes (and we are still discovering more) and never showed the ability to carry the franchise on his shoulders.

Big Difference trusting Saban in the real life situation and trusting wayne if he brought sata....I mean Wanny back.

It's not a ridiculous comparison. Both held this team down with their respective actions. We still managed to be a winning ball club with Wanny. When Ricky ditched us, we went straight down the sh*tter.

LarryFinFan said:
Taking what is posted on PFT was your first mistake...they seem to dislike Saban and anything he does...(look thru all the Fins posts..all are negative posts..)....Besides, these guys are really good at making things up and then speculating on what they have made up....The thing we have to see is production on the field....until that, you and I can question or not question his moves, but can't evaluate them truly until we see the product on the field...just be careful when reading PFT...It seems they post a lot of false info or completely obvious information....

The fact that PFT wrote that has nothing to do with anything. Saban himself made the quote. I'm talking about the quote, not those numbskulls at PFT.

Back
Top Bottom