This team is worse than any Philbin team | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This team is worse than any Philbin team

I hated the Gase hire from day 1. I wanted the org to give Campbell a shot. The first 4 games last year we looked like we do now. Then after Philbin got canned we managed 5-7 and beat a couple good teams, but more importantly the fundamentals improved. Emphasis was placed on proper technique for blocking and tackling. Sure Dan may not have been an X and O guy but he coached the players up to succeed in their 1:1 battles. There is no denying that under Campbell was the best the team has looked in its compete level in the last 5 years. Instead we go out and hire an unproven - unless you believe hanging around Peyton Manning makes you credible - guy who never played the sport (so he can't coach up the fundamentals the way others can) and we expect the team to play hard for him, for his genius system to be the magic answer, etc. He looks like a high school coach out there. As does Vance Joseph. What a cluster ****. I also don't give Gase any passes on the roster because he has final say and had an entire offseason to do something with it. He's in over his head so far he doesn't know which way is up. Let's see - who's he gonna bench this week? Who's he going to "out" now? Which player isn't in "shape" or needs to do this or that better? Sorry coach - STFU I don't want to hear it. YOU need to own this mess. It's the same roster as last year - perhaps a bit better, perhaps a bit worse - that's debatable. But the execution on the field (73 first downs in 5 games) is a product of your ineptitude. Bench yourself.

I hated the Gase hire from day 1. I wanted the org to give Campbell a shot. The first 4 games last year we looked like we do now. Then after Philbin got canned we managed 5-7 and beat a couple good teams, but more importantly the fundamentals improved. Emphasis was placed on proper technique for blocking and tackling. Sure Dan may not have been an X and O guy but he coached the players up to succeed in their 1:1 battles. There is no denying that under Campbell was the best the team has looked in its compete level in the last 5 years. Instead we go out and hire an unproven - unless you believe hanging around Peyton Manning makes you credible - guy who never played the sport (so he can't coach up the fundamentals the way others can) and we expect the team to play hard for him, for his genius system to be the magic answer, etc. He looks like a high school coach out there. As does Vance Joseph. What a cluster ****. I also don't give Gase any passes on the roster because he has final say and had an entire offseason to do something with it. He's in over his head so far he doesn't know which way is up. Let's see - who's he gonna bench this week? Who's he going to "out" now? Which player isn't in "shape" or needs to do this or that better? Sorry coach - STFU I don't want to hear it. YOU need to own this mess. It's the same roster as last year - perhaps a bit better, perhaps a bit worse - that's debatable. But the execution on the field (73 first downs in 5 games) is a product of your ineptitude. Bench yourself.

:clapping:

Same basic thing happened when Sparano was canned and Bowles took over and when Wanny was canned and Jim Bates took over. Why we can't give interim head coaches a 1-year contract to see what they can do just escapes me. I would have been good with Campbell for one more (full) year.

None of our last few head coaches were deserving or qualified to be head coaches.

Cam Cameron - OC, then gets the HC here, falls on his face, back down to OC. Since HC of Dolphins.... NO HEAD COACHING OFFERS

Tony Sparano - OL coach, Hired as a head coach. Gets fired, back down to OC then back to position coach. Since HC of Dolphins... NO HEAD COACHING OFFERS

Joe philbin - OC coach, hired as head coach. Does nothing as HC. Then goes down to OL coach and assistant coach. Since HC of Dolphins.... NO HEAD COACHING OFFERS

Gase seems to be following in the footsteps, to this point at least.

We hire coaches with no prior HC experience. The previous 3 Dolphin coaches have been assistant or position coaches since getting fired here. Which shows they are not and never were HC material to begin with. The pattern here with this is pathetic and ongoing. And all starts with the laughingstock owner of the NFL in Steve Ross.

I remember a Philbin that needed ONE win to get into the playoffs and completely blew it. Doesn't get much worse than losing to a 3rd stringer with the playoffs on the line

Dak Prescott and the Cowboys laying it to the Bengals 28-0, team that killed us. Ugh.

Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFL 3m3 minutes ago Cowboys aren't just beating the Bengals. They're beating them down.

Do you people even watch the games? Linemen are blowing assignments and getting manhandled instantly into the backfield. It's gross. Our two best starters on the line were out. Today we had not one NFL talent on the line other than center. It's abysmal.

But at what point does Tammy start taking blame. And not even blame for losing because the losing is on the team, by for not being a good QB. I know it is crazy, but maybe the skills just won't develope.

We blame coaches, play calling, development, OL, WR, RB, Ross, and the GM's, but when will it stop and when does the lack of skills start being a factor?
You kidding me? When does tannehill get blame? He gets blamed for everything every sunday sometimes even in the offseason...

Do you people even watch the games? Linemen are blowing assignments and getting manhandled instantly into the backfield. It's gross. Our two best starters on the line were out. Today we had not one NFL talent on the line other than center. It's abysmal.

Same last year and year before that. Faces may change but result is the same.

Rumor has it Philbin wanted to draft Derek Carr. :idk:

Seems at least he had the wherewithal to try and take a chance on someone else. Albeit, both Philbin and Gase are ****ing clueless NFL head coaches.

And he wouldve looked like david carr on our team

I agree with this. I'm very surprised and disappointed. In fact, it's the only reason I ventured to this site at this hour, instead of waiting until 3 AM the morning after the game, per my norm.

I was confident there would already be a thread along these lines, and I wanted to have some input.

Normally NFL teams have predictable upticks and downticks, based on situational influence. Those situational trends generally override or at worst neutralize any matchup disadvantage. Not with these Dolphins. The theoretical uptick situations don't produce any noticeable rise in energy. It's beyond sickening. Today was like a game long trance. Contrast to the Philbin Dolphins, who did generally march with the situational trends, and often won by double digit ferocious margin when everything aligned.

This team is one fluke field goal kicker injury from winless and mocked as most inept in the league.

I still don't know what happened with the offensive line. Weren't Pouncey and Albert slated to return and Tunsil healthy? I never would have picked Miami to win knowing the Turnstile Twins would start on the left side. Still, that one area of the team doesn't begin to excuse the overall lack of intensity.

Gase doesn't help matters by standing there like a calculus nerd. I supported him. I wanted youth. So far I'm never certain he actually watched the previous play as opposed to meddling with his play sheet. His timeout strategy is far worse than Philbin's. For example, when we trailed 30-17 and stopped the Titans on a first down run for a 2 yard loss with 4 minutes remaining, our time out should have come right there. Instead, Gase waited another play. That is inexcusable. I'm not sure he understands the related situational math. No chance Philbin makes that mistake. Down by 2 scores you have to preserve time and margin for error, i.e. the potential for the opponent to screw up on 2nd and/or 3rd down and hand you additional time. Instead we allowed 40 seconds to tick away.

Some personnel thoughts:

* The Canes are flawed but they had huge energy last night before being worn down, and that energy translated to the stands. I'm convinced this Dolphin base simply doesn't believe in Tannehill anymore, and therefore the crowd can't fake it. Not for long anyway. They show up expecting exactly what they've seen for 4+ seasons.

* Parker is boring to watch from the stands. But if he does one thing well you have to attempt it at least 3 times per game. That beautiful deep sideline throw today was the first time all season we have allowed Tannehill to throw the 35-45 yard passes that he executed so well last season.

* What happened to the intermediate darts? In previous years we'd instantly steal 10 or 12 yards with a curl or back shoulder to the sideline. Those play calls started the drive. Now we use telegraphed runs or little dump offs.

* Many of the Tannehill apologists have also been Billy Turner apologists. I don't mind that we see Turner exposed also. The Dolphins should have higher aspirations than Billy Turner, as I posted prior to that draft. His mistakes at left tackle now are identical to the ones that caused Senior Bowl coaches to scream at him throughout a televised practice. Turner is too narrow, plays too high, is slow to adjust, and he doesn't even have enough pride to get into decent shape.

* Those new defensive linemen all look the same. Too damn slight. I know their names but mostly I think of 50, 94 and 98 as a pushover blend. 94 obviously is the huge letdown. Then I had to laugh when I was returning from Winn Dixie an hour ago and Big O said that Gase announced they built the defense to protect the lead. That's where those 50, 94 and 98 frames come into play. I guess it's system fit brainstorming again, just like our narrow mobile offensive linemen.

* The punter continues to amaze. We get stuck deep on our own end and the announcer tips good field position for the opponent. Not so fast. Here comes 57 yards. Darr does level off late in the game, for some reason. I don't care. It's probably a short meaningless sample.

* Reshad Jones should never be stationed deep middle. It accomplishes nothing. He freezes and his instincts are terrible. Let him cover somebody directly. There was an example of that late in the game.

*Props to Ajayi. He's running with ferocity. I'm not a fan of making him a full time starter but no question it's light years from preseason.

* I guess Jakeem Grant is only dangerous from scrimmage in the opening exhibition game every year. Otherwise the opponents have simply figured it out. He would be twisted into pieces. I had to doubletake when a Dolphin player actually finished a long return like that. He didn't realize the tradition is to wander around in the open field and get caught, a la Ronnie Brown and Lamar Miller. Lots of luck on that Usain Bolt 40 meter challenge. That's more adjuster garbage. When Bolt ran 9.58 he was out of the blocks fine. Heck, he got a great start in the Olympic 100 semi this year. Not as sharp in the final.

* Next week with all the Steeler fans making the trip, and Dolphin fans discouraged, won't sound like a true home game. Gase needs to find a way to motivate. No evidence so far.

Back
Top Bottom