This team is worse than any Philbin team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This team is worse than any Philbin team

Maybe Philbin we getting the best out of the product? Is Gase?

I think you're correct in that Philbin knew that Tannehill could not be trusted with more responsibility. The difference regarding Gase is that he will demand that his QB be intelligent enough to assume the required level of responsibility. If he cannot elevate Tannehill to that level, that's on Tannehill rather than Gase. I feel confident that Gase will be allowed the chance to groom his own QB starting next year.

Yes, Gase is clearly in over his head. People can @#$% about the crappy talent, but these players are undisciplined. A punter getting an unsportsman like conduct penalty? When does THAT happen?!?. The players are always flat. That is on the coach. If they aren't executing, THAT is on the coach. I don't see any "game planning" to take advantage of any mismatch, whatsoever from Gase. I don't see any adjustment whatsoever from Gase. He doesn't get basic stuff like pick a couple of backs and go with them, don't rotate 4 backs to be "fair" to everyone. That's basic stuff ANYONE who has watched football for 3 or 4 years should know. If he doesn't know his roster, that's on him. He limits wake to obvious situational downs and thereby keeps one of the few players who can make something happen off the field. His entire approach to this team is flawed. He wants to run a get up quick, high scoring offense and then rely on a fierce pass rush. The team can't do it. You instead get the opposite - a team that can't make a first down and a defense that can't tackle and get off the field - then the D gets worn out. I don't know what he ever did to be considered an "offensive guru", but he certainly isn't a manager or leader of men. He has no business being a head coach. Put him in a room somewhere and let him draw x's and o's on an academic basis, but don't put him in charge of getting a team prepared to play an NFL game.

On Joe Rose this week Jay Feely said on the Thursday game what concerned him more than anything was the lack of energy on the sideline, like they didn't care. Like apathy had set in. For me I wasn't going to put much stock into the first 4 games, you aren't going to learn much from 3 tough road games including one on Thursday. This next stretch however should tell us a lot and so far its not good. And I don't want to hear about the o-line, a lot of teams would kill for our starting 5 with the depth we had at the beginning of the season. And all teams face injury adversity.

Also Florio on wqam made a point that sometimes with 4 straight homegames fans can get bored and may not keep showing up. Don't know how much truth there is to it bt its an interesting theory.

The stadium does seem loud though even though it didn't look packed. I wonder if we'll have to go to a silent count at some point now in our own stadium?

Also

I think the next game will look like a Steelers home game.

Yes, Gase is clearly in over his head. People can @#$% about the crappy talent, but these players are undisciplined. A punter getting an unsportsman like conduct penalty? When does THAT happen?!?. The players are always flat. That is on the coach. If they aren't executing, THAT is on the coach. I don't see any "game planning" to take advantage of any mismatch, whatsoever from Gase. I don't see any adjustment whatsoever from Gase. He doesn't get basic stuff like pick a couple of backs and go with them, don't rotate 4 backs to be "fair" to everyone. That's basic stuff ANYONE who has watched football for 3 or 4 years should know. If he doesn't know his roster, that's on him. He limits wake to obvious situational downs and thereby keeps one of the few players who can make something happen off the field. His entire approach to this team is flawed. He wants to run a get up quick, high scoring offense and then rely on a fierce pass rush. The team can't do it. You instead get the opposite - a team that can't make a first down and a defense that can't tackle and get off the field - then the D gets worn out. I don't know what he ever did to be considered an "offensive guru", but he certainly isn't a manager or leader of men. He has no business being a head coach. Put him in a room somewhere and let him draw x's and o's on an academic basis, but don't put him in charge of getting a team prepared to play an NFL game.
very well articulated.

41-14. The score of last years home opener against the Bills.

Do you guys really not remember how bad the team was last season? Why is anyone surprised right now?

I had hope that Gase could make things work as they were, but it's just not gunna happen. Do I condemn him? Not until I see what he does with a real roster overhaul. If that doesn't happen, I will continue to blame our general manager for horrible roster decisions.

Ross just got done firing Philbin and literally went out and hired Philbin 2.0 -- it would hilarious if it wasn't so ****ing pathetic and soul crushing.

41-14. The score of last years home opener against the Bills.

Do you guys really not remember how bad the team was last season? Why is anyone surprised right now?

I had hope that Gase could make things work as they were, but it's just not gunna happen. Do I condemn him? Not until I see what he does with a real roster overhaul. If that doesn't happen, I will continue to blame our general manager for horrible roster decisions.
oh we remember. A lot of us were sick of Philbin BEFORE the season started and then the 1st four games just reaffirmed our disgust. We were atrocious. But - the part about expectations - how is it that Coach Campbell got the team to play much, much better for 12 games? Same roster as Philbin and perhaps a weaker roster than this year's? Now as much as I had a man crush on Campbell the point is - if anything, what he did accentuates how important coaching is and what a difference good coaching makes. So I can't accept that it's the roster just because Philbin's and Gase's teams look identical in terms of play. How does one explain the 5-7 - very competitive - run in between the suckery before and after?

Gase and Tannehill are way too much alike. Both are book smart guys with no street smarts. They say and do all the right things before the lights come on, but can't think on their feet when the ball is snapped.

John Elway fired Adam Gase and John Fox from Denver. Looks like he made the correct decision.

John Elway fired Adam Gase and John Fox from Denver. Looks like he made the correct decision.
now there's a real GM. He sees his team break all kinds of offensive records yet get demolished in the SB, **** cans the staff and rebuilds w a defense-first mindset and wins the SB 2 years later. Pretty impressive.

Same basic thing happened when Sparano was canned and Bowles took over and when Wanny was canned and Jim Bates took over. Why we can't give interim head coaches a 1-year contract to see what they can do just escapes me. I would have been good with Campbell for one more (full) year.

Yes I agree only that time under Bowles was the best ball, especially on offense, we've seen in years. There were more 30 point and 3 TD pass games in a short span that I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the playcalling from gase has been bad. I want to give Gase a break and try to give him the benefit of the doubt but i was sold the idea of him being an offensive genius and the offense has been worse than Joe Philbins. I just dont get it. Like i said previously only so much can be blamed on execution. Even if you execute its still a ****ty gameplan and scheme. He doesnt call plays to get Parker the ball, why is he only getting like 2 catches in a game? Landry can only do so much but you have a guy like Parker who you dont even try to scheme open or focus on him. I know we dont get the time for plays to develop down the field due to a crap oline but passing plays over 5 yards would be nice. Whatever happened to a curl? It used to be a staple in the playbook when we had Hartline and we would move the chains, hell, even wallace would run the curl and convert some first downs. I dont think ive seen one curl this season. I just want gase to call plays that move the ball down the field. No more wide receiver screen to landry, no more short dump off (basically a screen or a swing pass) to the running backs. Put 4 receivers out there and let it rip. Use dion Sims in the seam. Use your players to their strengths. Its time to give Jakeem Grant offensive snaps. Throw him a slant or send him deep, hes a threat...you saw that speed today. Stop using 4 running backs and give ONE running back the majority of the carries. Ajayi ran hard today.

oh we remember. A lot of us were sick of Philbin BEFORE the season started and then the 1st four games just reaffirmed our disgust. We were atrocious. But - the part about expectations - how is it that Coach Campbell got the team to play much, much better for 12 games? Same roster as Philbin and perhaps a weaker roster than this year's? Now as much as I had a man crush on Campbell the point is - if anything, what he did accentuates how important coaching is and what a difference good coaching makes. So I can't accept that it's the roster just because Philbin's and Gase's teams look identical in terms of play. How does one explain the 5-7 - very competitive - run in between the suckery before and after?

A very valid point, however I would argue that they were not very competitive outside of the Houston and Titans games.

A change of attitude in Campbell had them on point against a not-so-good titans team. Then they played a LIGHTS OUT first half against Houston, but were outscored 28-0 in the second half (I may not be EXACT on that number, but it wasn't good ball)

Following the beatdown in foxborough, the next 2 wins were squeakers against a very injured ravens team, and the mark sanchez led Eagles.

Now the last win against NE to deny them HFA is something I will always cherish deeply :p

Point is, I think this roster is capable of performing at an acceptable level VERY periodically, but it will not compete for anything meaningful. I had a lot of hope early on, but it can no longer be bright-sided.

I hated the Gase hire from day 1. I wanted the org to give Campbell a shot. The first 4 games last year we looked like we do now. Then after Philbin got canned we managed 5-7 and beat a couple good teams, but more importantly the fundamentals improved. Emphasis was placed on proper technique for blocking and tackling. Sure Dan may not have been an X and O guy but he coached the players up to succeed in their 1:1 battles. There is no denying that under Campbell was the best the team has looked in its compete level in the last 5 years. Instead we go out and hire an unproven - unless you believe hanging around Peyton Manning makes you credible - guy who never played the sport (so he can't coach up the fundamentals the way others can) and we expect the team to play hard for him, for his genius system to be the magic answer, etc. He looks like a high school coach out there. As does Vance Joseph. What a cluster ****. I also don't give Gase any passes on the roster because he has final say and had an entire offseason to do something with it. He's in over his head so far he doesn't know which way is up. Let's see - who's he gonna bench this week? Who's he going to "out" now? Which player isn't in "shape" or needs to do this or that better? Sorry coach - STFU I don't want to hear it. YOU need to own this mess. It's the same roster as last year - perhaps a bit better, perhaps a bit worse - that's debatable. But the execution on the field (73 first downs in 5 games) is a product of your ineptitude. Bench yourself.

Campbell was unproven as coach as well. Just b/c he played doesn't mean he's more qualified than someone who hasn't. Gase has been around football, it isn't like he's the kid from 'Little Giants' who can hold a calculator so he must know his ****.

Back
Top Bottom