This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Listen, Eddie Moore is a decent player. 2 year starter in the best conference in college ball, runs a 4.5, has a 38 inch vertical, was the best coverage LB in the draft, flows well to the ball, will be a standout special teamer and is learning the position behind a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer. Our LB depth sucked. Only Tommy Hendricks is respectable, being as he is the best ST player in the NFL. What makes me laugh more is that half the people complaining about Moore hadn't heard of him - they actually hadn't seen him to make a judgement call on his skills. People were not going to be satisfied unless they got "a name". And people were crying "why LB?" Well if we had drafted Pisa Tinoisamoa, then all of a sudden, everyone says "yeah, LB, great pick." Guys need to watch Moore and see what he's about. He fits really well to our scheme. It was clear there was a run on LB,s with Barnett going higher, then Pisa, and then Hobson and Lance Briggs. Cleveland wanted Moore, Tampa wanted Moore at the end of 2. It may have been higher than we liked, but it was a need that's filled. Sentimentally I would loved for us to have taken Boldin, who was on the other phone and taken Lance Briggs later, but the CS KNEW Briggs and the 3 other backers on the board were going to go soon and they would miss out.

Wade Smith was a solid pick. He was teh 2nd rated OT left on my board. He brings great upside, has really nice feet and picks things up really quickly - he's a quick learner. He has a nice frame, moves well. He's going to be an excellent player for us. And remember, he's a guy we'd talked up a lot, he was on the rise, he was a day 1 guy - the Eagles were very high on him, the 49ers would have taken him in 3 had they not found Kwame Harris on the board.

I thought Whitley was a reach, but what he does bring is hard nosed football from the G spot. He doesn't stand around, he looks to smash a guy in the mouth, he's a finisher, he blocks well on the move - VITAL for our guards - when Ricky breaks it outside, watch Whitley running 30 and 40 yards down teh field to lay the wood - the guy never stops. What Smith and Whitley both do is SIGNIFICANTLY improve an ageing position. Dixon, Perry, Ruddy are all getting on in age. Spriggs and Smith are coming off injuries. All of a sudden, with Provost as well, we have three bright young guys. I would have liked Ragone here - that would have been a very solid day 1 if we had landed the Louisville lefty and I thought Montrae Holland and his run skills and pulling ability would have been terrific value here, but Whitley has a chance. And the last OL we drafted from College Station wasn't bad was he !!

All day 1 picks will make the cut.

On day 2, we picked 2 solid players, 2 projects and a guy that has a chance of being in the mix at DT.

Donald Lee was tremendous value - great TE. Good hands, athletic, runs really well, super blocker. Totally misused in Sparky Woods' offense to the point that all he did was block. The first time the guy gets a chance to get the ball in his hands he has 3-103 and a TD at the East West Shrine Game and blocks the hell out of everyone. If he played at Tennessee or Miami, where they throw to the TE, he would have been a top 50 pick. That was great value and a real Spielman pick - he wanted this kid badly.

You couldn't argue with JR Tolver's productivity. Whilst I would have liked to see us move into 4 for Bobby Wade rather than pull the Jenkins trade, the kid has great hands and can make YAC. He's a decent route runner and whilst I think he might struggle a little to make the roster, he's going to push guys like Kendal Newsome and Robert Baker and Sam Simmons and really give it a competition, rather than the 5th guy having to beat out a couple of CFLers and an Arena League 2 guy. There are 4 receivers there, any one of which would be solid 5th guys for us.

Tim Provost was also excellent value. I think he'll make the team as well. Solid RT/RG who fits us really well because he is agile, gets moving in a hurry, can move well as a pulling G. As he said in his press conference, he needs some time in the weight room and he needs to learn to use his knees rather than his waist, because he is susceptible to being pulled over when he bends at the waist, but a solid selection.

I didn't get why we traded up for Jenkins. I don't see who else was going to take him. He is mature as the CS say and he's an athlete and he can run and he can hit - his tackling style is unorthordox - he tends to tackle with his head down, but he has great size and the physique to get up to 230/235. I doubt he'll make the cut myself.

I think the pick of Yeremiah Bell was very cute. Bell is a 2 time Ohio Valley Defensive Player of the Year. A walk-on, who was a CB and then showed such great range and ball skills that they moved him to center fielder. He's a ball hawk, a guy that ran a 4.46 a year ago and who had 6 picks. He's also a leader. He injured his knee playing pick up basketball and sat out his entire senior year. He worked out for Mel Phillips and ran a 4.6 at 80% health. He also is a special teams maven - he has blocked 5 kicks in his time at Eastern Kentucky. I dug this out from one of his coaches:

"Yeremiah is such a leader and this is a big loss for our football team," said Kidd. "He does so many little things for our team. He is in the office every day studying film and talking to the coaches. He makes sure everybody is lined up on defense, plays special teams and blocks punts. We are going to miss his athletic ability, but we're going to miss his leadership even more."

The DT Williams was highly recruited and was a standout at Troy Sate - he's intense, high motor, really impressive off the ball, good leverage, is an excellent pass rusher and whilst he's not fast in pursuit, he suits being in that middle holding the play up - we don't need our DT's 20 yards downfield. the kid is really strong - I saw has a 500lb bench press, is durable and I reaklly like the way he hustles the QB as a rusher, something we don't have at DT. I would not be at all surprised to see him beat out Romero.

Whilst it wasn't flashy, there are lots of solid picks in there. I see 5, maybe 6 guys having a shot at the final roster - Moore, Smith, Provost, Lee and Whitley. I see Bell being put on the PS. I see Williams having a real shot at the 4th DT job. jenkins will need to learn fast if he's to have a shot. This was a much beter draft than the doom merchants figured. Watch the tape and know they guys rather than slag them down because they aren't Kelley Washington's or Jon Stinchcomb's of the guys you see on Sportscenter. The depth of this team got a whole lot better.

Thanks Boom!

I think that a lot of what you said makes a lot of sense.

I certainly think that the fact that no one really theorized Moore to Miami really shaped people's opinions the rest of the way.

I am a big Wade Smith fan...but I do think it will take some time...and certainly thats a concern with this team supposedly being so close.

I totally agree with you Boomer. I think people are really underestimating everyone that we picked in the draft. I think I read somewhere that Moore is a Derrick Brooks type of linebacker. Well if thats so we could have one of the best linebacking corps in the NFL. But no one wants to see that happen because many of the people at finheaven are going for his head because he was drafted. I think all the players we drafted will do just fine except Jenkins like you said. It might be a little hard for him. My only real shock pick was the tight-end because I couldn't understand why we picked him when we signed bataglia this offseason. But then I read his bio and it sounds impressive. Sounds like he could be our Jed Weaver that we lost this year.

I look for the dolphins to make plenty of solid moves some June so I am not worried at all about this draft. Many people will be happy in a few years when we do have these players and they are developed instead of having to draft all these new players to play right away and turn us into the Bengals.

Well, I hadn't heard of any of the guys we picked. LOL, but that means nothing as I had never heard of McKinney, McMichael, or a guy named Todd Wade either. I like the two lineman, reach or no reach. But Eddie Moore? He was projected as an undrafted FA! He seems like an injury waiting to happen. However, the media is often way off and I trust Spielman so as always, for me the draft is a waiting game. As in, wait till training camp to see these guys play. AS of right now, I'm not to thrilled but I'm not unhappy either.

Boomer, how do you KNOW Cleveland and Tampa wanted Moore? If this is true, I feel much better about the Moore pick.

Moore wasn't projected as a FA!!!!!!!!!!

He was projected as a 3rd rounder. Ourlads, arguably the best draft service of them all had him as the 50th player overall in their ratings; CBS had him at 60. Read the Cleveland press and they wanted Moore over Chaun Thompson, the guy they took The Tampa Tribune had a quote from Rich McKay saying they took Dewayne White but had hoped that Moore was still there for them.

Easy Boomer, easy, lol. I had just read that he was projected as a UDFA from a profile that AJ gathered for this site, but it was probably a stupid media outlet.

Hmm

CNNSI had him projected as being undrafted. But here's what I'm wondering...

..we're getting ready to trade or cut Derrick Rodgers right? If Moore can't come in and play better than Rodgers right now I don't see why this makes sense. We could have just kept Rodgeres.

Moore is going to come in and play ST and he covers better than Rodgers. Plus he frees up cap room for potential moves like Griese, Sammy Knight, Derrick Deese, etc.

Clump - I will if you want me to?
BTW - did u see my prediction McGahee to Buffalo on Monday in the GBN column (as he blows his own trumpet !!! :) )

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Can you break down the rest of the AFC East Boomer? :)

Go get your own Boomer!! He belongs to the Dolphin faithful.
Oh yeah the Bills draft sucked.:lol:

Originally posted by Boomer
Clump - I will if you want me to?
BTW - did u see my prediction McGahee to Buffalo on Monday in the GBN column (as he blows his own trumpet !!! :) )

Yep, but I dismissed it! D'oh :lol:

Thanks, I would love to read your assessments

Awesome post Boom!!!!!

I agree with everything you said about these guys.....

Dave and Rick know what they're doing. They do this for a living, and there is so much talent in the draft, you never know for certain who will suck....

The guys we picked up all sound like well rounded players IMO. Not really big names, or standouts, but solid players. Just because we've never heard of them as fans, doesn't mean Dave and Rick blew it. They know how to find talent, and talent is all that matters in the NFL....not names.

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

the dolphins tried to trade up into the 1st round and it cost too much... the only position that could have netted a starter was left tackle...so they got a bunch of guys that can be special teams players and provide depth...i dont have a problem with our draft...we still have free agency and if we get sammy knight and brian griese and maybe another veteran lb and wr than we will be on our way...

Back
Top Bottom