This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out

Thats what I've been saying about Greenwood all season!!!!!!! When I say it, all I get is arguement, when Boomer says it, its like it came straight from Jesus' mouth. Maybe I should change my name to BaziBoomer, maybe then you all will listen to me. What do I know though? I'm only a safety on a team that plays a similar system to Miami. I guess this goes to show the kind of respect Boomer has on this board......

I respect your opinions Bazi.......I also agree that an actual football player can offer fresh insight. Don't fret bud....

Its all good. Doesn't really bother me. Its just weird that 2 people can say the same thing, and one gets a positive reaction, and one gets a negative......

Originally posted by Bazinet37
Its all good. Doesn't really bother me. Its just weird that 2 people can say the same thing, and one gets a positive reaction, and one gets a negative......

I hear ya.....it just comes with the terrority since Boomer does post an awful lot about the draft.

So, in your opinion then, was Rodgers more to blame then Greenwood for our outside running woes? I dont recall which side the Bills and Pats had the most success.

I understand the whoe stat and sack concept is down because of our system.

I personally think it was more Rodgers than Greenwood, but neither was that bad at stopping the run. I think Rodger's problem was in pass coverage. I think the outside running woes is blown a bit out of proportion. Only 2 backs had success running on us on the outside: Henry and Edgerrin James. That tells me it was more scheme that any one player. Hopefully, thats something that Bates will adjust to......

Baz - I certainly respect what you have to say.

Left Coast - I'm certainly not an apologist. You should see me in Canephins' chat room on a Sunday calling out guys. But I know what I see on the tapes. Whilst I respect what DCH has to say, I'm afraid neither you nor I nor him know what the coaches think of the play of these guys, other than what they tell the media. I'm a journalist. I know how clubs or politicians, etc let the public hear what they want to hear. They also know that players get motivated when stuff goes through the paper. If I'm Morlon or Jamar and I read after the 2002 season that Miami is going to upgrade at CB and LB, then I know that I need to step it up. The best motivation in the world comes sometimes when the coach never sees the player.

What I do think however is that for a guy who cost us a 1st rounder and a guy who cost us a 2nd and a 3rd rounder, they haven't YET played up to the levels that we think they should. But they certainly haven't played down to the levels that most people claim that they have. I think, as I stated, both need to continue to improve, but if their rate of production improves as it has done over the past 2 years, then they will be fine. Watch the Denver game to see how perfectly the funnel works. Now Greenwood had a superb game in that match-up, but no-one wrote about him. But when you break it down and look at what he did, it was as good a performance by a scheme LB that I saw all last year. Now, whilst I also said that he had to improve still and whilst I readily agree that the funnel broke down at times last year, the majority of times it broke down was because the runs went to the weak side - Miami's weak side, where the three worst tacklers on the defence reside - Rodgers, Madison and Marion. Rodgers got caught up in way too much traffic at times, especially in the Buffalo game at PPS to stop Henry getting to the outside - why - 2 receiver sets to the weakside, or getting the TE to stay and block Rodcgers out of the play every time so that the tackle has to be made by the pursuing LB - Zach. When Henry got to the edge, behind Reuben Brown, the first two players he faced were Madison and Marion - who wins that battle?? Faulk was getting open because of brilliant scheming by Charlie Weiss, sending 4 receivers into the pattern, with multiple looks and keeping Faulk into block and then flaring him out or running him on shallow crosses and he was coming out to the weak side most of the time - Rodgers' neck of the woods. Like I said, I think the guys need to improve, but I think it's a shame that they are the whipping boys for the defense when it's clearly not their fault.

As for why we signed Terrell - well, we need 4 good corners. We had Sam, Pat and Terry Cousin. We still drafted Jamar. we play against a NE team that runs multiple WR sets and has TE's that can run like WR's. Buffalo had three great WR's and a big TE who can make plays down the seams. All have backs that come out of the backfield and have great hands. You need 4 good corners. If Sam got hurt, it's Jamar and Pat and the nickel back is suddenly Omare Lowe who has never played. You need 4 guys.

Makes sense to me Boomer, I just wanted a little more 'plainin than the avg Bear, lol. Awesome insight, I need to start tapin games. That got me pumped! With JR, et al, we will kick ass!

LMAO. Lets see. My response was about 4 sentences. Boomer's was a novel full of descriptions. Thats the last time I b*tch about that. Great job breaking that down Boomer......

Good post on OLB contain limiting their stats, a guy who contains doesnt make the play, but he doesnt give the big play and allows his D stars to get their lumber out.
As for Callico, his ability as potential is great, I thought my Raiders would get him, but Al Davis passed on him as well, he still has trouble locating the deep pass. His stride and attributes say another Jmes Lfton, but unless he picks the deep ball up well it isnt going to happen. Thought we had another taller faster Wells or Branch, but Porter took some time and we are still on on verge with a vet team that doesnt need time we need people to come in now.
Callico has McNair, Dyson will wish he stayed where his qb knew him. He cant help but improve, but Dolphns have Chambers who can locate and elevate with anyone, they needed more ball control wr than speed guy, maybe Gadsen stays.
As for your round one pick, he is great, he smells the ball out between the takles, has ther cover cloing speed to finish edge plays off, and is strong for his size, being undersized was only knock on him, another Zack Thomas type who slipped for size but will be proven solid with a system that he can fit on ILB or OLB. The guy is disciplined for cover contain conservative D, comes out of his crouch with speed for read and react, he has great recognition. You may blitz a few more times once this guy is full time player, he can only get better learning from Junior and Zack.
Finally your Tackle from Memphis is very ghood, he is an upgrade, game film of him handling Lousiville guys may have made White slip from consideration for some teams.He is a very solid lineman. He will work in at the patient Wanny pace.
The top end of your draft is value, not superstars yet but potentially so where it counts....trench warriors who make the beard and butter and allow teams to keep cap value maintained.

Originally posted by Bazinet37

reminds you of that fed ex commercial with the roundtable business idea thang where the boss repeats the guys shipping idea :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
Ok, evidently we didnt' like Wayne Hunter at T, and I've heard from different sources that Doss isn't all that plus we could sign Knight. So......I think the only guy I would have rather have is maybe Calico, but I admit I dont know much abou t him. Did we miss out on this guy or not?

For the most part, I like the Moore pick, but I always reserve judgement till training camp and beyond.

we did like Hunter, but all things being equal they said that Wade smith had the best chance to develope faster becuase of his smarts and athleticsm and how he swtiched from position to position with ease. also he was mroe draftable with a later pick. we like guys from the south. ever notice that? guys coming from miss., tennesee, Louisiana, carolina, Florida, texas, ect. ect.

i think we have like 40 scouts and half of them cover the SEC.

Originally posted by RUDEAWAKERZ2354
I guess it takes a Boomer to get everyone to believe this draft is not bad.... Good job Boomer.. I knew Wannnstedt and Spielman are not idiots but tough task to sway the pessimists when your a newbee...

Boomer had a little help from his friends but if you want to give all your bows and cheers to boomer i say more power to ya! drew rosenhous loves the limelight. maybe boomer wants to be just like drew? hmmmmmmmmmm. j/k but could you change your name, i keep thinking of chris cheeseburger berman. i hate berman.

Greenwood is the same. Because he isn't recording 10 sacks or making game changing plays, people assume he must be rubbish. Far from the truth. Whilst Morlon would be the first to agree that he hasn't been outstanding for us, he's certainly been a lot better than many people make out. You have to understand about systems.

i read the part about greenwood boomer, and i agree with most of what you say. marlon has been solid and yes he isnt supposed to get sacks, and he is not supposed to get INT's and cover the LB's as much as the other LB. But he is suppose to step up and make tackles and fill holes in a hurry. i have only seen marlon do that maybe 5 times on his own since being here. he always seem a step slow getting to the play on his side and zach somehow gets there first or at the same time.
I like marlon, but i just wish something would light a fire under his ars and say " allright, time to kick it up a notch!" he just doesnt seem to do that. he hasnt caused any fumbles that i have ever seen. for once i would love to see this guy step up and fill a hole and smack the RB coming through! just dont see it.

Greenwood made some improvements last season especially agsint the run.He is not bad at coverage even though he wasn't involve in the nickel package.Greenwood needs more playing time and he might start at strong side.I hope the Dolphins start using other LB's other Zach to blitz like Greenwood who has more speed and that where I think the Dolphins made mistake by not using Rodgers speed to blitz who coming out collage had impressive stats(sacks).

Back
Top Bottom