This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out

Originally posted by Boomer
And the last OL we drafted from College Station wasn't bad was he !!
Seth McKinney you mean ;) I know you mean Richmond :D

thanks Boomer - I like your analysis, it is just disappointing if we do not get a starter out of this draft - compared to other (good) teams that will get some. I know we got Ricky and J Will, but getting at least one guy to challenge for a starting position would be nice.

Can Moore overtake Greenwood ? Or Wade Smith push Perry out and Dixon back to OG or Whitby push Perry out ?

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by erralyn
CNNSI had him projected as being undrafted. But here's what I'm wondering...

..we're getting ready to trade or cut Derrick Rodgers right? If Moore can't come in and play better than Rodgers right now I don't see why this makes sense. We could have just kept Rodgeres.

dude, we have junior seau.

great take on everything boomer. im surprised a bit. i do see you left tolver out of the equation t make the team. all i can say is that if this kid can do what he did at SD st., we have a winner. sam simmons could be the long shot now that we have charlie rogers. but who really knows until camp starts. i just like the fact that we got great attitudes and smartness to fill in and potentially start in one year. moore i am betting will show marlon greenwood the door eventually. better attitude. not that marlon has a bad attitude, but that he has no fire. that is what could be the difference between moore.

Boomer I can tell ya that this weekend i was one who was negative about the draft and you are right it was because other than Smith, I really didn't know much about them. Good thing I was away cause i probably would have come on negative. But over the last 2 days i have seen a pattern with these picks, that is, players with alot of athletic ability, competitive attitudes, nonego, good character, above average intelligence, with upside potential.

This team did not need alot of starters out of this draft, if any, especially if we get Knight. No we did not need a LT to start, Dixon played well at LT and will do so again and no we have provided depth and youth to our line so it is fine, remember that line played well last year. Moore has a very good head on his shoulders from what I have read and should hopefully be ready to start in a year or two. Overall I like the approach, getting high character football players with potential. Hopefully they work out.

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by erralyn
CNNSI had him projected as being undrafted. But here's what I'm wondering...

..we're getting ready to trade or cut Derrick Rodgers right? If Moore can't come in and play better than Rodgers right now I don't see why this makes sense. We could have just kept Rodgeres.

Obviously if the staff cuts Rodgers then they believe Moore is better and offers more. Rodgers is much older than most people realize as he was in the military before he played College ball. He played for a friend of mine (Barry Meier) at RCC and then later at Arizona State. I think he's 31 going soon on 32 years old.

Moore was a good pick. Mail Wanny your apologies for your behavior on draft day.

Re: Thanks Boom!

Originally posted by RHoffman
I think that a lot of what you said makes a lot of sense.

I certainly think that the fact that no one really theorized Moore to Miami really shaped people's opinions the rest of the way.

I am a big Wade Smith fan...but I do think it will take some time...and certainly thats a concern with this team supposedly being so close.

Absolutely Hoffman. Not only didn't anyone theorize on Moore but on a lot of sites that list prospects for the public to look up, Moore wasn't even on those lists. Including ESPN's.

No reason for some of these guys on here to jump down everyone's throat who questioned the pick since even some "experts" were questioning it.
From some of the reports I have seen coming to light now I'm a little more upbeat about our picks. However, the injury history of Moore still is a major concern.

Originally posted by Boomer
Clump - I will if you want me to?
BTW - did u see my prediction McGahee to Buffalo on Monday in the GBN column (as he blows his own trumpet !!! :) )

Boomer
I love your assessments of players coming into the draft.
We've had a real debate on a couple of players on the Fins in these forums for quite a while so I'm thinking maybe you could shed some light on the subject.

Can you give a "scouting" opinion of CB Jamar Fletcher and LB Morlon Greenwood. These two have been argued about quite frequently on here and I would be interested to hear your input on what you think about their talent levels.

Two Theories here:

1) Moore wows in training camp and wins the starting WLB job and Seau moves over to the strong side with Morlon being the odd man out.

2) Moore wows enough to win the job next year and Seau moves over to strong side while Morlon again is depth while we draft another young guy or 2 on day 2 to compete for the strongside job.

Remember Moore wasn't a blip on the radar until we lost out in moving up for a LT. The talk that seau is the WLB may now not be true with the addition of Moore.

As far as this draft goes we already have 21 starters back. These boys will push the depth and by next year 2 or 3 could be pushing for the starters job which to me isn't bad.

I mean really how many teams can now say that they have depth? That was always our concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only guy that Boomer doesn't like, Corey Jenkins, is one of the three guys I like in our draft best.

In fact, he doesn't like Taylor Whitley either.

Eddie Moore, Taylor Whitley, and Corey Jenkins right now are my favorite picks. Taylor Whitley works hard on every play, has a great mean attitude, was knocked for his athleticism but answered back with a 30 inch vertical and a 5.17 time in the forty, he's been starting for years, he's extremely strong both by conventional standards (over 30 reps of the 225 bench), and by unconventional functional football standards (power cleans 366 lbs according to Keith Box), and he's got a nice big @ss. Ask Brad Hopkins about that one. His big @ss will give him 'anchor ability' as Bruce Coslet calls it, where this guy can sit and plant in pass protection, and there isn't a force alive that is going to move him away. I guarantee if you showed a bunch of film on this guy to good offensive linemen in the league, he'd grow on them. And much like Seth McKinney, he's gonna grow on us. Meanwhile I think there's a lot to like on Corey Jenkins. And at this point I have to wonder if Boomer got a chance to watch the South Carolina games vs Clemson and Florida, because by all accounts Jenkins used only 2 weeks of prep time to absorb an entire defensive scheme and start a position he never played, and managed to gather 10 tackles (including, by accounts, some hits where he really laid the wood) and forced 2 fumbles....in only 2 games! I mean, and we're talkin about a QB convert here who had never played the position before. I think this is a guy that you can almost guarantee will make the team. He and Eddie Moore both, because they are filling the spots that Twan Russell and Scott Galyon left when they departed. Jenkins is a 230 lbs guy that runs a 4.6 will play linebacker, is smart enough to learn a scheme and do well in it within two weeks (10 tackles), hits hard enough to force two fumbles in two games those two games being the first he's ever played on defense at the collegiate level, he's mature enough to know exactly what pro sports are about (having already hit a 500,000 salary in the past) and know what it takes, and he's got a full grade of health...and he figures to be an excellent special teamer.

I also think Donald Lee and Wade Smith are pretty good too....Lee I have a real good feeling about, the guy can play as a pass catcher but he's got so much experience blocking he's viewed as one of the best blocking TEs in the draft! I don't think blocking is his strongest suit either, if his East-West Shrine Game is any indication. He will never possess R-Mac's athleticism, but he is fast enough (believe he ran like a 4.7 or 4.8 or somethin), he runs fluid routes supposedly, and the guy has swagger. This is a guy who is pidgeon-holed as a blocker, and he compares himself to Shannon Sharpe, oh wait, a YOUNGER Shannon Sharpe he says, and his reaction to being drafted by the dolphins is "I think by selecting me there is a greater chance the of the Dolphins winning the Super Bowl" Already has R-Mac's swagger I guess! I think these two will get along famously!

Who will be guaranteed to make the team IMO along with their counterpart on the 2002 roster.

1. Eddie Moore....replaces Scott Galyon.
2. Wade Smith....replaces Marcus Spriggs.
3. Taylor Whitley....replaces Brent Smith.
4. Donald Lee....replaces Jed Weaver (Battaglie replaced Desmond Clark)
5. Corey Jenkins....replaces Twan Russell.

The following guys have a decent shot at making it but will have to beat their counterpart in competition.

6. Yeremiah Bell....will have to beat Omare Lowe.
7. Davern Williams....will have to beat Dario Romero (shouldn't be TOO hard...)
8. Tim Provost....will have to beat Greg Jerman
9. JR Tolver....will have to beat Sam Simmons, Keith Stokes, Kendall Newson, and Robert Baker.

Overall I think the cards are stacked against Provost, Tolver, and possibly Bell if we sign Sammy Knight. But Davern Williams should have an easier job just beating Dario Romero.

Then again, if we like JR Tolver, Yeremiah Bell, or Tim Provost a whole lot more than Davern, then we could try and sneak Davern onto the practice squad cuz he was a late 7th rounder anyway...and if an injury happens, we can bring him up. Jay Williams is capable of playing DT.

Back
Top Bottom