This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Wasn't Half as Bad a Draft as some are Making Out

Good work Boomer. When it comes to the draft, you know your stuff ;)

I agree 100% with you. These are not as bad of picks that some people think they are.

While most of these guys are here for depth this year, they all have a shot at being a starter at their respected positions later down the road.

All we need now is Griese, Knight. :cool:

Ok, evidently we didnt' like Wayne Hunter at T, and I've heard from different sources that Doss isn't all that plus we could sign Knight. So......I think the only guy I would have rather have is maybe Calico, but I admit I dont know much abou t him. Did we miss out on this guy or not?

For the most part, I like the Moore pick, but I always reserve judgement till training camp and beyond.

Yeah...obviously we didn't think a whole

lot about Hunter...

I think even Wanne chided the herald for running that story on Friday.

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
So......I think the only guy I would have rather have is maybe Calico, but I admit I dont know much abou t him. Did we miss out on this guy or not?

IMO Calico is a long term project who'll take at least 3 yrs to become a #3 wr. Stone hands and plays slower than he times, but he is a great athlete and a hard worker, so he may make it eventually.

I guess it takes a Boomer to get everyone to believe this draft is not bad.... Good job Boomer.. I knew Wannnstedt and Spielman are not idiots but tough task to sway the pessimists when your a newbee...

Great post Boomer!

However, I think Jenkins has great shot to make this team. I'm not saying this b/c I have seen him play, b/c I haven't. I'm saying this b/c he should have the least competition of any draft pick other than Moore. We usually carry 6 LBs. Thomas, Seau, Greenwood and Hendricks are locks. That leaves 2 spots for Moore, Jenkins and Symonette. Am I missing anyone. It seems to me that all Jenkins has to do is beat out Symonette, a guy who is reportedly doing badly in NFLE. Also, Wanny already predicted that Jenkins would play SP on the opening day roster.

Originally posted by RUDEAWAKERZ2354
I guess it takes a Boomer to get everyone to believe this draft is not bad.... Good job Boomer.. I knew Wannnstedt and Spielman are not idiots but tough task to sway the pessimists when your a newbee...

I know and that's the funny thing. I've been saying the same things about Moore since we picked him but all I got was people screaming at me about how I know nothing and how this draft was the worst in the history of the NFL and stuff. I only got a few to agree with me. I still see though that Boomer still hasn't gotten Erralyn to realize anything. It's still a broken record "We have the worst FO in the NFL" "Our draft is the worst in NFL history" and on and on. And now with a great explanation to the Moore pick, Erralyn still doesn't get it. "We should have just kept Rodgers". Nice idea, pay him starters money to sit on the bench when we could get a guy better, younger, and cheaper than him to come in and play. Rodgers can't play special teams either.

Thanks fellas. We all need to take a step back at times and just evaluate what we have rather than slam it because we don't have the 'glamour' picks.

Trekbiz, Jamar unfortunately falls into the category of "Will never be Loved". When the draft board came down and we got close to our pick, we wanted Chambers, Drew Brees, Tommy Polley or Kendrell Bell. We took a ball hawk CB who didn't really fit our scheme, in that he doesn't play bump and run. Fans saw that we had 2 great corners and thought it was a pathetic move, not thinking of all the 3 and 4 receiver sets that teams were running. He was the Thorpe Winner who would have been a top 10 pick had he been 2 inches taller. He had his struggles early learning the new scheme and then got thrown into the deep end when Surtain got hurt against Indy and had to start - he played quite well actually, but the first year was a tough one for him. Usually CB is one of the hardest positions to learn even if you know the system/scheme. Fletcher had to learn new looks, new players, bigger, better, stronger, faster receivers. And he had to learn an alien scheme - he had to learn how to jam receivers at the line, he had to learn to get in guys faces and shift his hips quicker than ever. It's something he'd never done. You need strength to do that and Jamar had football strength but not specific scheme strength. All this takes time people. It's not as easy as just lining up and going at it a couple of times and away you go. This takes years to get down properly. In year 2, he was night and day over year 1. He played much, much better, but because many people didn't want him here in the first place and many people felt that he stopped us getting Drew Brees - thus having a replacement for Jay - they used him as the whipping boy - any time he made a mistake, people lit him up for it. There was a MASSIVE outrage after Marvin Harison caught 11 balls against us and nearly won the game in week 2 last year. I went back and watched the game and watched evey pass completed on him. Only 1 completion was down to him as fault and that was because he turned the wrong way - the rest he was step for step. In fact on some of the plays that people were castigating him for, it was Madison in coverage and not him, but no-one wants to light up Sam too much. Then people got on him for the long Peerless Price TD in Buffalo - Fletcher wasn't even on Price - he was on Josh Reed in the slot. It just so happened that Reed's route undercut Price's route and Fletcher was in the area. Then he was chasing down Price and all of a sudden, everyone thinks it must have been Jamar's fault. Not true. the final indignation for Jamar was the Randy Moss TD in Minnesota. I'm sorry, but Fletcher clearly expected deep help over the top from Wooden and it never came.

I think his progression from year 1 to year 2 was strong. I KNOW that he has been in the weight room constantly this off-season and has added some considerable upper body bulk to be stronger off the snap. He is a tape hawk, a kid who works hard and who will be a solid player in year 3. I think people think that a kid will be all world straight off the bat. It doesn't happen, especially at CB. I also think, as aforementioned, that many people wrongly see Fletcher as the reason that Fiedler is still the starter because he stopped us getting Brees and therefore will never accept him. What we have is an improving young corner who is willing to learn, has good speed, is better on receivers breaks, is more fluid, looks like he knows what he's doing, has solid coverage and is the best tackler and run supporter of our DB's. I think in year 3, he'll be very solid.

Greenwood is the same. Because he isn't recording 10 sacks or making game changing plays, people assume he must be rubbish. Far from the truth. Whilst Morlon would be the first to agree that he hasn't been outstanding for us, he's certainly been a lot better than many people make out. You have to understand about systems. Players are signed as free agents because they fit systems. Players are ignored as draft picks, because they don't fit systems. You try and match up guys who you think will do well in your system. Our system is such....run to the ball, speed kills......but the key player in our system is Zach Thomas. He is the best tackler. He is the water at the bottom of the funnel. The funnel is Bowens and Chester and Haley as was and Zgonina as will be. Their job isn't to sack the QB or to chase plays 15, 20 yards downfield. Their job is to soak up the 3 interior linemen, freeing up Zach to either run to the LOS and make the tackle, or move outside to the perimeter and make the tackle. Zach is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he is made better because of the system. Thus, the OLB's aren't meant to flourish in the system. They are supposed to work to the edges with speed and hold up the ball carrier and forcer him back inside to Zach or the ends, who are chasing down the plays from behind. Watch when runners get to the edge and see how the body shape of Greenwood and Rodgers is - they stand angled, stopping a further move outside and turning the carrier back inside to the MLB. Greenwood plays well within the limits of the system. OLB's in Bates' scheme are not going to be All Pros. They are not asked to go after the QB, they are not asked to make plays - that sounds really odd, but it's true. They are supposed to be the edges of the funnel. They are the players that work from the hash lines on their side of the field, to the sideline. Greenwood has the speed to get outside. He is much improved in coverage. He needs to do a better job of working through trash and getting his legs uncovered because at times that holds him up. But he makes a lot of tackles on the perimeter and like Fletcher is getting better. What he also does is keep blockers off Zach because of his speed. It's all part of the system. If Bates unlocked the scheme some and allowed Greenwood more freedom to roam and make plays, people would be happier, but in a way he's shackled by the system. Eddie Moore will have the same problem until Zach moves on. He's part of a funnel. There is a reason that Zach makes 180 tackles a season and Greenwood and Rodgers make 85/100. Unfortunately fans don't see the scheme and how it works. Greenwood does a job within the confines of the system. He needs to work on some little things, but his drop depth is better, he is more fluid as a cover guy. They will both be fine. Unfortunately 75% of fans will never see that, but they are fine.

Cheers Phan.

As for Michael Doss - don't underestimate the kid - he's a baller. As for calico - he is Jerry Porter/Eric Moulds - he will take as long as they did to come to the boil. The deal with him is that he was an early day 2 guy. Got to the Senior Bowl weigh in, ripped off his shirt and showed off the buffed physique, the great muscle tone, etc. Teams were wowed. Then he ran very well in the workouts and whilst he dropped too many balls, he did OK and that moved him into the 3rd. Then at the Combine he flew down the track, did a solid job in the drills and with his height and weight, all of a sudden people talked him up as a 1 - this happens all the time - people go away from reality - the tape - and get caught up in the workout. Calico is slower than his straightline 40 time, most importantly in and out of his breaks. He rather telegraphs his moves and his routes are roundd and sloppy. He's a straightline route runner. He puts way too many balls on the carpet and isn't a great blocker for a kid his size. He will likely not contribute much his first 2 years. Miami did well to steer clear.

Thanks Boomer for the insite! I love hearing about the little nuances of our scheme. I admit I was a little shocked at first with our pick, but I was kind of feeding of some of the negative stuff. Once I slept on it, I completely changed my mind and now am rather excited about some of the players we drafted. Last year I was hoping we did what we did this year and stack the OL. But because our FO wanted to give Brent Smith another year we didn't. Some things can't be helped. Sure our picks weren't as glamerous as others, but we drafted for need and we will be better for it! Thanks again for the nice write-ups!

Steve

Left Coast - it's not that we didn't think a lot of Hunter - I believe we did. I just think that the CS knew that he was a guy with only 8 career starts on the OL and was an underclassmen. Reality was that he wasn't going to see the field till 2004, likely 2005 at the earliest. The window of opportunity may well have closed by then.

Originally posted by Migs182005
Good work Boomer. When it comes to the draft, you know your stuff ;)

I agree 100% with you. These are not as bad of picks that some people think they are.

While most of these guys are here for depth this year, they all have a shot at being a starter at their respected positions later down the road.

All we need now is Griese, Knight. :cool:

YUP. I agree 100%

Boomer......

While what you say about Fletch and Greenwood sounds logical, it totally goes against our other resident expert DCH. He claims that the coaches are fed up with Fletch and Greenwood is on the hot seat. Why do you suppose we signed T-Buck if Fletch is improving so much. You're right that some fans are too hard on them for the various reasons, but you are also beginning to sound like an Dolphin Apologist. Nothing personal, as I do value your insight on college ball as I dont follow the players to close.

But I do know my pro ball better than most, maybe not as good as you, but better than most. I dont break down the tape but I understand the scheme and such. I dont think Fletch and Greenwood are as bad as some say, but I find it difficult to think they are as good as you say also.

You're right about the Bills'game, I blame Freeman and whoever was on Price for the TD but on the Vikings game, maybe it was Wooden's fault but Fletch still was burnt and looked lost. It was only one play but if he's improving so great why did we sign T-Buck?

Also, I take issue with our OLB play because runners getting to the outside were killing us down the stretch (Henry, Bennet, and we make Faulk of the Pats look like Marshall) How is that not our OLBs fault? Looks like the funnel broke down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom