Those "Meaningless Wins" Proved Not-So-Meaningless | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Those "Meaningless Wins" Proved Not-So-Meaningless

What flores did with nothing was more than Gase ever did with something. We played like a well coached team. Our low talent oline pass blocked fairly well. This was with NO run game at all. Parker became an elite wr.

Flores accomplished a ton in his first hear. Its very difficult for me to understand skeptics after seeing how quickly he turned a team with no talent into a well coached tough out every week.

First let me say I am on board with Flores and think we may have found our HC and I am hopeful for the future. With that being said.

I think skeptics are going to exist until we at the bear minimum have a winning season if not multiple winning seasons, that's the nature of the beast. We've been mediocre for a long time and have been fooled more than once, Saban, Sparano, and Gase. As much as I believe in Flores I'm certainly not willing to mortgage my house on a 5-11 season.

What flores did with nothing was more than Gase ever did with something. We played like a well coached team. Our low talent oline pass blocked fairly well. This was with NO run game at all. Parker became an elite wr.

Flores accomplished a ton in his first hear. Its very difficult for me to understand skeptics after seeing how quickly he turned a team with no talent into a well coached tough out every week.
Being fixated on finding the right qb (
part of the process)while ignoring whats right in front of their eyes when it comes to Flores, and the impact this man can have on the organization.

Last edited:
It's amazing how quickly we have lost sight of who is responsible for those meaningless wins.

Steelers wary of Ryan Fitzpatrick, winless Dolphins heading into ...

It's amazing how quickly we have lost sight of who is responsible for those meaningless wins.

Steelers wary of Ryan Fitzpatrick, winless Dolphins heading into ...
I think you may have inadvertently posted the wrong pic. Hold my beer.....

brian-flores-dolphins.jpg

This guy is far more important...

Last edited:
Remember with Grier, he has got Reggie McKenzie with him and the guy from Buffalo.
Grier is not alone in this, he has 2 other quality GM types, plus I think his coach knows what he is doing, as opposed to a guy like Gase, and that really helps.
Since Grier took over, my only real criticism is trading for Rosen, but that probably comes down to- would you give up a 2 to take a chance on a first round QB, or do you want to play it safe and grab a 50/50 prospect.
I think he felt like it's always worth it to take a chance like that with a 2nd rounder, especially after recouping one for this season, when we might really need it for trading up, or filling holes where we better know we have them. Last year, who knew what the team would look like.

I've learned that first seasons can be deceiving when evaluating coaches. Sparano and Gase both had good initial years only to crash and burn after. I like what Flores did with this roster in fielding a competitive team the last third of the year, finding some promising talent, and developing others. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about was the change in offensive coordinator. I thought we were scoring points and looking decent all things considered and I am not all that excited about Gailey. Time will tell, hoping for the best.

I've learned that first seasons can be deceiving when evaluating coaches. Sparano and Gase both had good initial years only to crash and burn after. I like what Flores did with this roster in fielding a competitive team the last third of the year, finding some promising talent, and developing others. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about was the change in offensive coordinator. I thought we were scoring points and looking decent all things considered and I am not all that excited about Gailey. Time will tell, hoping for the best.
For whatever reason, Flo wasn't satisfied with O'Shea.

I can only speculate that Flo was identifying opponent's weaknesses, and establishing the game plans, while the OC was responsible for schemes to attack those weaknesses, and came up short.

It got better later in the year, but maybe that's because Flo ended up doing both jobs.

I doubt we will ever know what caused the rift, but that's my speculation.

To be fair I was pretty happy with Gase after year one. :(

I have said in other posts....Gailey is a very good O Coordinator. If you look at who his QBs were he did a fantastic. He had Elway in 1988 since then the best QB he worked with as a coordinator was Fitzpatrick. I mean the list is terrifyingly bad. Tyler Thigpen, Brian Brohm, Jay Fiedler and Fitzpatrick......real world burners right. He took guys like Fiedler and Fitzpatrick who were UDFA and a 7th rounder and made them bottom half starters/good backups. He is a great coach if you go deeper than his offensive ranks alone.

I have said in other posts....Gailey is a very good O Coordinator. If you look at who his QBs were he did a fantastic. He had Elway in 1988 since then the best QB he worked with as a coordinator was Fitzpatrick. I mean the list is terrifyingly bad. Tyler Thigpen, Brian Brohm, Jay Fiedler and Fitzpatrick......real world burners right. He took guys like Fiedler and Fitzpatrick who were UDFA and a 7th rounder and made them bottom half starters/good backups. He is a great coach if you go deeper than his offensive ranks alone.
Who were his RBs?

To go 5-4 the last 9 games established a winning culture in the dolphins locker room.
Having a culture of winning is the most important part of laying the foundation of any great team.
Imho.

To go 5-4 the last 9 games established a winning culture in the dolphins locker room.
Having a culture of winning is the most important part of laying the foundation of any great team.
Imho.

The Jets this year finished 6-3 in their last 9 (HC was in 1st year with the team, in 2015 they finished 6-3 in their last 9 and 5-1 in the last 6 (head coach was in 1st year with the team), the 2006 Bills finished 5-4 in their last 9(head coach was in 1st year with the team), the 2015 Bills finished 5-4 in their last 9 (head coach was in 1st year with the team), the 2003 Bengals went 5-4 in their last 9 (head coach was in 1st year with the team).

None of these teams went on to have a culture of winning and every single HC was fired except for Adam Gase with the Jets but I suspect that's an eventuality. I don't think it's as simple as picking an arbitrary number like the last 9 games and saying we went 5-4, one could just as easily say we went 3-4 in our last 7, 2-2 in last 4, 2-0 in last 2 or 5-11 for the entire season.

I think to truly establish a winning culture you having to have a winning season, than follow it up with playoff wins otherwise you end up with the Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrets of the world. But don't mind me I think I'm going a little mad being at home so long, I need a drink.

The Jets this year finished 6-3 in their last 9 (HC was in 1st year with the team, in 2015 they finished 6-3 in their last 9 and 5-1 in the last 6 (head coach was in 1st year with the team), the 2006 Bills finished 5-4 in their last 9(head coach was in 1st year with the team), the 2015 Bills finished 5-4 in their last 9 (head coach was in 1st year with the team), the 2003 Bengals went 5-4 in their last 9 (head coach was in 1st year with the team).

None of these teams went on to have a culture of winning and every single HC was fired except for Adam Gase with the Jets but I suspect that's an eventuality. I don't think it's as simple as picking an arbitrary number like the last 9 games and saying we went 5-4, one could just as easily say we went 3-4 in our last 7, 2-2 in last 4, 2-0 in last 2 or 5-11 for the entire season.

I think to truly establish a winning culture you having to have a winning season, than follow it up with playoff wins otherwise you end up with the Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrets of the world. But don't mind me I think I'm going a little mad being at home so long, I need a drink.
I understand your line of thinking, but there are a couple things that make us a bit different than the situations with those teams.

Our experience, and overall talent level was much less. That points to superior coaching, IMO.

Our plethora of picks, and cap space gives us the ability to vastly improve during one offseason.

Last edited:
Grier is a beast! Like duh -- who hired Flores!

Side note: like the first "executive" decision Chris made.

And how about the utterly brilliant way he purged the roster of dead $$$

and assimilated a stockpile of draft picks like no one around here has EVER seen!

Add the cherry on top with Marvelous Marvin and Reggie

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom