Three Running Backs in Round One? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Running Backs in Round One?

I am not certain about Najee, but I think Javonte will be there at 18. I do not care for Etienne. I hope Etienne goes top 10.

I just found out Etienne had a good pro day. Measured at 5-10 215, which is close to my benchmark of 3.10 weight to height ratio (215 lb/70" is 3.07), and jumped close to 165 which another benchmark (128 broad and 33.5 vert is 161). I do not think these are first round numbers but he is close maybe 2nd to 3rd round imo. He is just under all around.

I just found out Etienne had a good pro day. Measured at 5-10 215, which is close to my benchmark of 3.10 weight to height ratio (215 lb/70" is 3.07), and jumped close to 165 which another benchmark (128 broad and 33.5 vert is 161). I do not think these are first round numbers but he is close maybe 2nd to 3rd round imo. He is just under all around.
He's third for me. I like Williams best, followed by Harris.

Admittedly, probably due to those two being better fits for Miami.

Carter is a good back as well.

I really want Aaron Jones in free agency (I’m in the minority I know everyone hates paying RBs). But I’m worried that if we gamble on RBs in draft we could get left having to settle again and missing out on the top guys or be forced to possibly over drafting one. I really want to give Tua a premier back to take the pressure off him and allow him to do more play action rollouts and RPOs where his strengths are

I really want Aaron Jones in free agency (I’m in the minority I know everyone hates paying RBs). But I’m worried that if we gamble on RBs in draft we could get left having to settle again and missing out on the top guys or be forced to possibly over drafting one. I really want to give Tua a premier back to take the pressure off him and allow him to do more play action rollouts and RPOs where his strengths are
While I'm in the 'prefer a RB in the draft' group, I can completely see them thinking the same. I've never had any confirmation, but I've often wondered if JK Dobbins was the guy they targeted at #56 last year. He went to the Ravens at #55 one pick ahead of ours. Now we took Raekwon, which turned into a great pick and Flores was obviously excited about it, but I'd heard pre-draft that we wanted Dobbins so I wonder. I have to think they wanted one of those top RBs in last year's draft, but as they let the draft come to them, they missed out. They may be worried about history repeating itself.

The other positive about picking up Jones in FA is that RBs are so much cheaper in FA than WRs. An elite WR is in the $17-$21 mil/per range, but an elite RB can be had around $8 -$10 mil/per. I don't understand the logic at all from those who want to sign Galloday or any top FA WR, but in terms of bang for the buck, I can understand pursuing Jones.

While I'm in the 'prefer a RB in the draft' group, I can completely see them thinking the same. I've never had any confirmation, but I've often wondered if JK Dobbins was the guy they targeted at #56 last year. He went to the Ravens at #55 one pick ahead of ours. Now we took Raekwon, which turned into a great pick and Flores was obviously excited about it, but I'd heard pre-draft that we wanted Dobbins so I wonder. I have to think they wanted one of those top RBs in last year's draft, but as they let the draft come to them, they missed out. They may be worried about history repeating itself.

The other positive about picking up Jones in FA is that RBs are so much cheaper in FA than WRs. An elite WR is in the $17-$21 mil/per range, but an elite RB can be had around $8 -$10 mil/per. I don't understand the logic at all from those who want to sign Galloday or any top FA WR, but in terms of bang for the buck, I can understand pursuing Jones.
Yes!!! Thank you I’ve tried to relay this message to so many people and they don’t understand. Receiver and pass rushers are way more expensive than RBs. Say we get Jones to 10-12 mill. Well that’s still way cheaper than giving Golladay 16-18 mill (and we could select Bateman at 18). Or instead of signing a big name pass rusher for 16-18 mill we could take Rousseau or whoever they view as top Edge at 18. The receiver class looks pretty deep this year where there is a clear cut top 3 RBs

The list of teams who were happy they paid a FA RB top market dollars is very, very short.

Aaron Jones is a good RB, not a great one. He ran behind a strong OL and has arguably the best QB in the NFL taking the lion's share of the defensive attention .

There is ZERO chance he ends up being worth the $$$ he gets in FA.

I don't think paying Golladay is a good idea either as he has been more of a tease than anything else.He has had one good year in four playing indoors with a good QB.

This is the year to find WR/RB in the Draft.

I think at least two go in the 1st round and probably three.

And that's the way it should be.

I really just can't understand how everyone can universally LOVE Najee Harris and Javonte Williams, and then still universally plug them in as high 2nd round picks.

Those two things...don't go.

I think at least two go in the 1st round and probably three.

And that's the way it should be.

I really just can't understand how everyone can universally LOVE Najee Harris and Javonte Williams, and then still universally plug them in as high 2nd round picks.

Those two things...don't go.
In a draft where there's a lot of depth at the same positions you find the elite players (WR, OT, S, OC) it stands to reason that the few elite players there are in other positions will be drafted higher than normal. Harris is a lock in upper R1 and there could be a run on RBs bottom R1 and top R2.

Williams, Carter and Kylin Hill are the more interesting guys in my view, from a value perspective. Stevenson just isn't fast enough to interest me in the top 100 or so. Gainwell is a bit of a Bowden type, hybrid RB/WR with a lot of talent, but not a killer between the tackles. Carter is maybe the best combo of rushing talent, low tread and receiving ability but for Miami he's a bit too similar to what we have in Gaskin (who i doubt is going anywhere). Kylin Hill is undervalued and is going to turn some heads as a pro, i believe.

One of the reasons that most teams don't consider taking RBs early is the fact that they are a cheap position. When you can sign a FA RB for a relatively low amount, there is much less interest in using draft capital on them. Same with the other cheap-to-sign positions.

Then there is the UDFA and 3rd day factor... look how many RBs have come from nowhere to become very productive backs. (James Robinson, Phillip Lyndsay etc). When you can obtain a good RB cheaply, there is little reason to spend high for a guy who doesn't rate too much better.

Then there is the one contract problem. So many RBs move on after their first 4 years. You don't own a RB, you rent.

Then there's the mileage/age problem. RBs die early... almost all of them, especially power backs.

So... no, we don't just say these things like don't draft a RB early. We have a host of well thought out reasons for our stance. You may not agree with it, but I think history is on our side.

Back
Top Bottom