Titans Finnegan Says Dolphins Offense Is Too Transparent | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Titans Finnegan Says Dolphins Offense Is Too Transparent

I'm not too worried about Henning after this season. He'll either be let go or he will retire, I'm convinced of that.

The offense's biggest problem still is that we can't run the ball. It's what mucking with the passing game more than anything. I've repeated this over and over but it bears being repeated, well... over and over. It's been allowing defenses to sit in cover 2 all day.

Henning's response to the cover 2 hasn't been to test the middle of the field -- which he disdains from a philosophical perspective as being too risky -- or run corner routes or double vertical routes to the same side. Those are the aggressive ways to attack the cover 2. He's preferred to run short routes and comebacks -- safe cover 2 beaters that help you work into more managable down and distances but the kinds of routes you simply can't run all game without eventually making a mistake. Henning has been calling games like he still expects our running game to force defenses back into single high looks where it's easier to be aggressive throwing the ball. And it hasn't. We've been awful all season running the ball. I doubt even the Henne bashers on the board would say that Ronnie or Ricky have had a better season than he's had.

The only game where we've called the game we wanted to in passing situations was the Jets game. The Jets play single high all game no matter how good your running game is. That's who they are. We had success against them because they gave us what we went into the season expecting to get from everyone.

I hope this game is a sign to Henning that he needs to open things up. I won't be holding my breath on that, though.

The offense's biggest problem still is that we can't run the ball. It's what mucking with the passing game more than anything. I've repeated this over and over but it bears being repeated, well... over and over. It's what been allowing defenses to sit in cover 2 all day.

Henning's response to the cover 2 hasn't been to test the middle of the field -- which he disdains from a philosophy perspective -- or run loads of corner routes or double vertical routes to the same side. Those are the aggressive ways to attack the cover 2. He's preferred to run short routes and comebacks -- safe cover 2 beaters that help you work into more managable down and distances but the kinds of routes you simply can't run all game without eventually making a mistake. Henning has been calling it like he still expects our running game to force defenses back into single high looks. And it hasn't. We've been awful.

The only game where we've called the game we wanted to in passing situations was the Jets game. The Jets play single high all game no matter how good your running game is. That's who they are. We had success against them because they gave us what we went into the season expecting to get from everyone.

I hope this game is a sign to Henning that he needs to open things up. I won't be holding my breath on that, though.

EXACTLY. I don't understand why Henning doesn't run fades with corner/post-corner/deep dig routes to attack the cover 2 aggressively. He wants to work what the defense gives him instead of FORCING the defense to react to him. Its pretty annoying. Today he finally decided to ATTACK the cover 2 and we scored 29 points.

Bess and Marshall = crap? Cobbs has always been known to be able to catch the ball well.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

"When you win say little, when you lose say less"- Tony Dungy's Mama

Sorry that wasn't what I meant. I have been wanting 4 and 5 wr sets but it seems that Cobbs is a better receiver than our 4th or 5th wr. Cobbs has dropped almost as many as he caught this year. His receiving skills are below average. But what he does is he keeps a linebacker in the game which is a match up win for us.

Umm, Finnegan had a very good game. The rest of his defense sucked but he locked down Marshall. He did his part. Give the guy his credit.

To a point, Marshall was open a couple of times for big gains, and the QB wasn't able to get him the ball. Finnegan played well, but Marshall had him beat as well, but the ball wasn't delivered.

experienced veterans, being able to shout out the play before it happens based on formation isn't out of the ordinary. The players on our team say Crowder does it now.

Do you mean "2 tackle today" Crowder??
Or Mr. 2.5 sacks in 6 years...it has to be "1 interception Crowder" in 76 games.

For someone who knows all the oppositions plays why cant CROWDER make a play?

Do you mean "2 tackle today" Crowder??
Or Mr. 2.5 sacks in 6 years...it has to be "1 interception Crowder" in 76 games.

For someone who knows all the oppositions plays why cant CROWDER make a play?

Because he's a limited football player who can't catch... and also because he's a selfless player who takes on blocks to free up others.

Interesting thread and some interesting posts as well.

Agree that Henning called his best game of the season today. Agree that Henne took advantage of it (although he still had very "Henne" like production before going down). Agree the Henning needs to go after this season.

Could not have put it better myself.

Somewhere as I typed that, Henning just introduced another episode of Tales From The Crypt.

Finnegan had a decent game, helped out by 2 bad throws by Henne though. First throw was the post that Henne threw straight down the seam and into Finnegan, if he leads Marshall there to the post, possible TD. The second was the fade in the end zone that was thrown 1-2 seconds late. Marshall broke open early but the late throw allowed Finnegan to recover. Timing between Marshall and Henne has been piss poor all season long!

Back
Top Bottom