Top 5 Needs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 Needs

I think our special teams allocation takes up 2 percent of the salary cap pie, which is on-line with most teams.

Sanders had a really good bounce back season last year and is a veteran entering his prime. If he remains confident then I'd like to keep him. I understand that a rookie kicker costs less, but rookie kickers aren't always better. Why create a problem for 3 million in savings?

Sanders has gone through ups and downs, but last year was an up for him. He should be considering his salary, but he's not the only veteran kicker making that kind of money.

His "bounce back" year still saw him only ranked as the 18th best kicker by % last year. After being 26th and 29th the 2 years before that. While he's the 12th highest paid kicker.

Seems like the strongest argument you can make to keep him is that he's simply just been here. A game winning 29 yard FG against the Cowboys doesn't make me sentimental.

Money is going to be hard to come by in the next few years so getting rid of a below average kicker makes a lot of sense.

If I can get similar production (with a stronger leg) from a 7th round pick, its a no brainer. If I don't have a shot at a quality prospect, status quo will have to do, I am not looking to dump him for just any random kicker.

His "bounce back" year still saw him only ranked as the 18th best kicker by % last year. After being 26th and 29th the 2 years before that. While he's the 12th highest paid kicker.

Seems like the strongest argument you can make to keep him is that he's simply just been here. A game winning 29 yard FG against the Cowboys doesn't make me sentimental.

Money is going to be hard to come by in the next few years so getting rid of a below average kicker makes a lot of sense.

If I can get similar production (with a stronger leg) from a 7th round pick, its a no brainer. If I don't have a shot at a quality prospect, status quo will have to do, I am not looking to dump him for just any random kicker.

The difference between 12th and 18th Kicker salaries is 700K not that much difference factoring in salary cap pie as a whole.

I agree if we can upgrade him with rookie stud, but not all collegiate studs fare well in the pros...usually it's a no name college guy who becomes good or soccer player, so finding that upgrade is a big deal.

Looking at kicker salaries it was a bit eye-popping to see the salaries of the top 2 kickers. 6M/yr! But they also are the best without a doubt, and money when kicks matter most.

Also, Sanders was 24/28 the reason he's down on the list so far is because of lack of kicks. The offense was either zooming and scoring at will, going for 4th downs, or punting.

However, I recognize that there was uncertainty in Sanders in the beginning of last year so that took opportunity away from him.

If we can upgrade him I'm okay with it, but not just to save part of his salary, it'd need to be sure thing, and kickers in a draft aren't always a sure thing, remember Sturgis 5th rounder was a fail.

Last edited:
St. Brown just got 30 Mil a year for 4 years. We need WR because we wont be able to keep Hill and Waddle. Waddle is going to command 35 Mil a year.

Guess his 57,52,54, and 35 yard field goals that made a 29 yard game winner possible. Doesn’t make you sentimental either, but you left them out.

Guess his 57,52,54, and 35 yard field goals that made a 29 yard game winner possible. Doesn’t make you sentimental either, but you left them out.

Ya it doesn't. You can't make a big picture decision on one game. Its the easiest position to analyze just based on statistics.

I mentioned the 29 yard FG because I started a topic about this a month ago and that kick was mentioned many times as one of the reasons to explain his "bounce back" season.

TE becomes number 1 for me if BB is there when we draft.
So you believe McD is going to drastically alter his offense for a rookie TE, a position that is a notoriously difficult transition from college to pro?

The only real "NEEDS" I see are OL and DL.

I think the team needs at least one quality addition on both sides of the LOS.

More luxury additions but not "NEEDS" would be bigger WR and a legit weapon TE on Offense. And maybe a bigger, short yardage RB.

On Defense they could use a young S to pair with Holland long term and an addition to the LB Corps wouldn't hurt.

And you can never have too many CB's.

I do feel that the team NEEDS to add at least one contributor to both LOS but they could always revisit either in FA once the Draft dust settles and they cleat Cap Space In June so they have some flexibility to truly draft BPA.

If we plan on keeping Waddle, we need to get to that negotiating table asap or we're screwed!
That St. Brown contract looks bigger than it possibly is in reality. Only 75m guaranteed (only...lol).

That's why I keep saying "advertised" contract numbers can, and generally are, deceiving.

So you believe McD is going to drastically alter his offense for a rookie TE, a position that is a notoriously difficult transition from college to pro?
Don’t know, I’m not on speaking terms with McDaniel. This thread is about what I’d do, not how I think McDaniel would alter his offense.

Back
Top Bottom