Trade Back, Then... Trade Back Again... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Back, Then... Trade Back Again...

Worked out for jj when we passed on randy moss. No seriously we could’ve had randy moss with dan Marino throwing him the ball.
Worst draft blunder ever!

I owed big-time amends to the family after watching me going from being as excited as a kid on Christmas morning when it looked obvious he would fall to Miami to foul mouthed raving lunatic when JJ traded down with the Packers.

But hey, at least Miami got Avery's 570 career Dolphin yards and 3 TDs to soften the blow to what could have been with Marino to Moss.

As far as trades go, I'm under the school of thought the best way to trade is to do so for picks the following year.

For example Miami should try to do to other teams what Miami has foolishly done to themselves. Trading a 6th in 2016 along with a 3rd and 4th in the 2017 draft to get a 2016 3rd round pick (Carroo).

Trades like this year's 1st round pick for another teams 2nd round pick plus next year's 1st should be explored if Miami really is going full rebuild.

Worked out for jj when we passed on randy moss. No seriously we could’ve had randy moss with dan Marino throwing him the ball.
But we were never going to have Moss. J is on record saying if he had stayed at 19 that year he'd have drafted Vonnie Holliday. Of course that'd have been a much better pick than Avery.

I think there is a drop off in talent level - after 10-13. If we are to believe there will be 3-4 QBs in top 10 (Haskins Lock Murray possibly Jones) Well then math becomes simple at #13, put together a top 10 non QB list. You will find a drop at around 10.
I’m not trading down in this draft.

Trading back is great we just have to find a team that is first willing to make a very good deal to move up in the draft. I was a big fan of JJ drafts and everyone misses like with a John Avery etc. Logically there is safty in numbers so more picks is the smart way to go. Using that logic though we would not have drafted Fitz last year if we traded back and its been a pretty much consensus on this forum he was a great pick. Jason Taylor in the 3rd, Zack Thomas in the 5th, Patrick Surtain in the 2nd were trade steals. Taking another page from Jimmy playbook one of the first moves he made was to grab a running back from UCLA who was our first 1000 yard rusher 20 years.
Our defense went from bottom 10 for like 15 years to top 10.
This league wide West Coast passing trend is fine and good but going against the trend might be a better plan. Build that running game that will protect the defense and aide the qb.

Lets not put all our eggs in one baskett in hopes we get that perfect QB that will solve all our issues. Its about winning so grab the best pieces that you can the rest will work out.

Last edited:
Lets just trade out of the 2019 draft totally. We can show teams how to really suck!

Depends who is on the board honestly

But more picks is never a bad thing

Finally got around to watching highlights of the national championship and thanks to whomever it was that suggested I couldn’t find the highlights on Youtube.

You can fully understand if we are targeting the 2020 draft for our QB. Tua and Lawrence look great.

It’s nice to see a leftie QB again too. If Tua is a success we might see a few more lefties in the future.

I think DE is our rd 1 pick. If we could move down a few spots, that might work, but I certainly don't want to bargain shop on a pass rusher. These days a FA JAG is 12 mil a year.

I think you can find interior guys in later rounds.

Take a look at the current situation along the DL they literally may have to keep a Wake or Quinn etc the situation is that bare.. and let’s say the release Sitton and James leaves.... lots of work to be done.

What’s the deal with how much we have to spend to the cap? Cause that’s gonna dictate some vets coming back imo or moneys spent in free agency.

Like what percentage of the cap do we have to spend to or am I just off base with that all together? I feel like we have to spend to a certain percent.

What’s the deal with how much we have to spend to the cap? Cause that’s gonna dictate some vets coming back imo or moneys spent in free agency.

Like what percentage of the cap do we have to spend to or am I just off base with that all together? I feel like we have to spend to a certain percent.
I used to think about that too but it seems every year some teams have ton of cap space so I don't know how it works but there's no way every single team is spending the 95% of their cap space on every single year.

As with every year, I’m not interested in trading back until I know who’s available at 13. I’m not passing up top talent for a bunch of middle round cornfed.

Exactly this. If your draft scouting is any good, check out what you can get at your draft pick before trading down and losing an opportunity to draft a winner.

Also you have more of an opportunity to trade down on your pick when another team sees a player they want available at your pick. It's a better strategy than trading positions blindly.

Take a look at the current situation along the DL they literally may have to keep a Wake or Quinn etc the situation is that bare.. and let’s say the release Sitton and James leaves.... lots of work to be done.
I'd bring Sitton back. He's not costing that much for a good starting guard. Of course you need him to stay healthy. James on the other hand is gonna want over 10mill a year so that gives me pause. Wake will be 37 and he might not fit the defense they're going to run. Quinn I'd look into bringing him back but not at the almost 13mill he's schedule to make.

Projected cap

NEW YORK (AP) — The NFL salary cap will increase by roughly 6 percent in 2019 to a threshold of up to $191.1 million per team, the league announced Tuesday.

The 2018 cap is $177.2 million. Next season's cap will be "in the range of $187.0 million to $191.1 million," the league tweeted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...cap-expected-increase-2019-season/2284116002/

Looks like we 14M free now.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/

The minimum spending requirement from 2017-2020 will be based on the cumulative amount of whatever the salary cap is set at each year, an amount that one can only estimate at this point in time. For just 2017 alone, the salary cap was $167 million, and the Browns had a cash spend of $177.1 million (hence the 106.05% listed in the graphic).

Requirements: 89% in Cash Spending from 2017-2020
The 89% rule does not apply to a single season, but rather a span of four years. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the Browns spend less than 89% in 2017, or if they spend less than 89% in 2018. By the end of the 2020 season, though, the cumulative spending from 2017-2020 must be at least 89%. Therefore, if the Browns spend very little in 2017 and 2018, in order to meet the requirement in 2020, they would basically be forced to spend a lot of money in 2019 and 2020.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/...nderstanding-the-89-cash-spending-requirement

Back
Top Bottom