Trade for QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for QB

Why do other teams draft QBs and we constantly trade for them? Maybe there's a correlation between that and our not making the playoffs :eek:

Now that it is obvious to all that the Culpepper trade was a bust and that Harrington still sucks this team has to get a QB.
For years, most NFL scouts have been saying that Matt Schaub of Atlanta will be a good when given the chance.
Vick will never leave Atlanta.
The Fins need to go after this guy instead of any rookie in the draft.
lets wait for pep to be 100% before you use the bust word

Now that it is obvious to all that the Culpepper trade was a bust and that Harrington still sucks this team has to get a QB.
For years, most NFL scouts have been saying that Matt Schaub of Atlanta will be a good when given the chance.

It's been a tough, disappointing year for him & there is a probability that he might not be the same QB he was before the injury, but you can't say he's a bust - yet.

Dump Harrington (he hasn't done anything to prove he can play QB), promote Lemon to backup. Let's hope Cpep is healed enough to start next year. Draft a young qb to groom.

Dump Harrington (Lemon's a better #2), trade Bumpepper to the only team that'll have him, the Raiders, for the 5th rounder we spent on Joey.

Then take a couple of these extra, quality defensive linemen we keep piling up and trade them for a couple midround picks. Dump Chambers if we can get a 2nd for him and sign Porter when Oakland cuts him to free agency. Take quarterbacks of the future in the 1st and 4th rounds.

Thus endeth the lesson.

I agree with those who believe it's still too early to call the Culpepper trade a bust, but:

1) I would still seriously consider drafting a QB with a first day pick if the value is there. We need to protect ourselves. Those who firmly believe Duante will bounce back to his old self may be just as short-sighted as those who think he's an automatic bust.

2) Fortify the O-Line so that Duante, if he's healthy, can just manage the game without having to put on a show. Build up the running game and defense so that Culpepper goes to the well less than he did in Minnesota and limits his mistakes.

Yes, CPEP came back too soon and was not healthy, but if you really analyze his poor play during the regular season much of his had nothing to do with his knee. It's kind of scary but Daunte's indecisiveness was the main factor and everyone is overlooking that. Remember when Joey replaced Daunte the sacks dropped off radically and we marvelled at how well Joey got rid of the ball. Of course now we know Joey is Joey and despite that he was a big upgrade over CPEP at the time. All you rose-colored Daunte followers need to get a grip. :(

I disagree. All our QB's are garbage, but I am tired of trading for a quarterback just to clean out that franchise's mess. Time to draft a real franchise QB; that's how you build a team, the draft.

Yes, CPEP came back too soon and was not healthy, but if you really analyze his poor play during the regular season much of his had nothing to do with his knee. It's kind of scary but Daunte's indecisiveness was the main factor and everyone is overlooking that. Remember when Joey replaced Daunte the sacks dropped off radically and we marvelled at how well Joey got rid of the ball. Of course now we know Joey is Joey and despite that he was a big upgrade over CPEP at the time. All you rose-colored Daunte followers need to get a grip. :(
Best Post of the Thread (So Far)

Vertical Limit said:
I disagree. All our QB's are garbage, but I am tired of trading for a quarterback just to clean out that franchise's mess. Time to draft a real franchise QB; that's how you build a team, the draft.
Amen, preach on that wisdom, brother!!!

I'll probably get warned for this, but I disagree. You're going to have to wait on how Daunte does next year, since he WILL be our starter. If he fails then, maybe I'll agree. That is if I don't get banned for disagreeing.

Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you?

Hopefully the coaching staff (whomever they may be) will realize what I've known since Spring 2006: Culpepper is an overrated bum who is a running quarterback that can no longer run. His fumbling, one-read-and-scramble, second-read-and-run talents will squander our season once again if he is handed the top job next year.

I predicted Culpepper would kill our season the day he was traded here. I was right then and I'm going on the record again - now - that the Dolphins will fall to disaster once more in 2007 if he remains in an aqua uniform.

Ditch the one-trick ponies for 2007 and get us a real field general!

Where in my post did I say I liked the idea? I am making a point. This front office has made their bed and it's C-Pep to lie in it. To trade or draft early for that position will set the Dolphins back another 3 years. It is a very messy, bad situation, but we as fans have seen what a good OL and solid skill position players can do for a mediocre QB.

I'll probably get warned for this, but I disagree. You're going to have to wait on how Daunte does next year, since he WILL be our starter. If he fails then, maybe I'll agree. That is if I don't get banned for disagreeing.

No one gets banned for disagreeing. People get banned for breaking the TOS.

I'm not trying to be a Culpepper pimp here, because I have my reservations about him, but really, did his "indecisiveness" kill him when he was making numerous pro-bowls and throwing 39 TD's in Minnesota?

Some of the arguments coming from the anti-Culpepper faction around here have had an amazing ability to suckle up to innuendo and totally ignore his resume.

Where in my post did I say I liked the idea? I am making a point. This front office has made their bed and it's C-Pep to lie in it. To trade or draft early for that position will set the Dolphins back another 3 years. It is a very messy, bad situation, but we as fans have seen what a good OL and solid skill position players can do for a mediocre QB.
If I misread you as a blind Culpepper proponent, I apologize.

However, I disagree on both your other points. Just because we blundered away a 2nd on Culpepper doesn't mean we can't cut the cord. I believe Minnesota sucked up his signing bonus entirely when they traded him. Purging him before the 2007 season should cost us nothing.

And times have changed. Drafting a top quarterback no longer means three years of developmental hell. Not at all. Ask Pittsburgh how they did starting a rookie QB. Or Denver. Or Arizona. Or Tennessee. Getting the picture..?

If we're going to play great defense and commit to run the ball, any new guy we bring in should do just as well as he learns the ropes.

If I misread you as a blind Culpepper proponent, I apologize.

However, I disagree on both your other points. Just because we blundered away a 2nd on Culpepper doesn't mean we can't cut the cord. I believe Minnesota sucked up his signing bonus entirely when they traded him. Purging him before the 2007 season should cost us nothing.

And times have changed. Drafting a top quarterback no longer means three years of developmental hell. Not at all. Ask Pittsburgh how they did starting a rookie QB. Or Denver. Or Arizona. Or Tennessee. Getting the picture..?

If we're going to play great defense and commit to run the ball, any new guy we bring in should do just as well as he learns the ropes.

Tailgun, just asking, but why no Troy Smith?

Back
Top Bottom