Trade for QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for QB

What did he do the year after before he got injured [2005]? Oh nothing, 72.0 QB rating, which is just a bit better than Joey's present rating.

How many years seperated is he from his prime [2004]? 2.

How many years seperated will he be headed in to next year? 3.

Bottom line, Daunte Culpepper is turning 30 years old, and needs his mobility to be effective as he is NOT a proven pocket passer. He had three ligaments torn on his knee, and after 16-17 months [started the 2005 season with a bad knee], still has not recovered and no guarantee he will be 100% next season. He has been injury prone his entire professional career.

What he did in Minnesota does not matter anymore. In Miami, he will have to change his whole game. With this offensive line, he will have to make faster, smarter, and quicker decisions. He will have to move his legs faster, he will have to get rid of the ball when the play is dead.

His 60% completion percentage this season is FAR overrated. Had he managed the game better and gotten rid of the ball instead of taking sack after sack and having to put up with long 3rd and 20's, I would bet his completion percentage would have been less than 54%. And the offensive line did NOT magically got fixed in the New England game. There were numerous times [about 5-6 times] that Joey Harrington would have been flattened out had he held the ball just a half a second longer in his 1st game.

Now even if Daunte were to get anywhere near 100%, how long is this "future", and how long will this player be effective? 3-4 years [34 years old]? Maybe 2 if his injury pattern continues to be on pace as it has? That's not a "FRANCHISE QB". A FRANCHISE QB is a player you have for over 10 years. What we have in Culpepper right now IF [a big IF] he ever gets healthy and back to pro bowl form, is a SHORT TERM FUTURE. Unfortunately, everything about him is a HUGE question mark.

Listening to Don Shula's comments on Culpepper last Monday night [he is like God to me], he doesn't sound sold on Culpepper either. Can you really blame him?

Time to draft a real franchise quarterback.

Not obvious to me, and I don't see how it could be obvious to anyone else. The guy was injured this year so making any judgements are a little premature.
There is a reason that Matt Schaub has not been acquired by other teams, and I would suggest that it is because he isn't very good. We are not the only team in the NFL that is struggling with QB play. Most NFL teams are looking to upgrade the Qb position. It's a very hard position to fill. As Bill Parcells once said (paraphrasing), it's not as if you can just phone Dial-a-QB and suddenly all your franchise's problems are solved.

That would be a strong NO regarding Schaub's abilities. The reason he is still there is because the asking price has to high coming from the Falcons.

honestly, i believe saban blew it when he didnt trade up to draft leinart or cutler, saban screwed up, leinart/cutler would have been easy to trade for with buffalo, because buffalo would have gotten whitner farther down anyways, also those two QBs would flourish playing in south florida, since they are used to warm climates.

We hope you're kidding. Aging? Decline? The guy was injured! Is Drew Brees aged and declining?

C-Pep is the guy, like it or not, the next 2-3 years will be dictated by Daunte's play.

well, if you are correct we are in for a very long 2-3 years, but I hope it's all been coach speak up till now, and that they realize the Culpepper trade was a bad mistake and move in another direction, all you Culpepper lovers on here better start realizing that what you saw is what you are going to get from him, which is a bad QB without his running ability. There was a reason they wanted him gone im Minnesota.

Now THIS makes since!

First off, to say the C-Pep trade is a bust is just irresponsible. The word "bust" should be changed to "inconclusive". I have two schools of thought here...1. Keep C-Pep, Harrington, and Lemon. Then FIRE MULARKEY and hire an OC that will give us some kind of identity. Then draft a QB within rounds 2-4. WE HAVE TO DRAFT FOR THE FUTURE! Then allow C-pep full recovery and he's the starter...period. Have the rookie, Harrington, and Lemon fight it out for the remaining 2 spots. NO MORE TRADES!!!!!!:tantrum:

honestly, i believe saban blew it when he didnt trade up to draft leinart or cutler, saban screwed up, leinart/cutler would have been easy to trade for with buffalo, because buffalo would have gotten whitner farther down anyways, also those two QBs would flourish playing in south florida, since they are used to warm climates.

In hinesight a totally agree: Saban should have left Harrington in Detroit...kept the pick and moved up to get Cutler. We wasted our #1 pick anyhow. I like what Shanahan did...he had Plummer (coming off his best season) but Shanahan saw the future in Cutler and went and got him!:dolphins:

for what it's worth..... a) schaub will be more expensive than a # 2, possibly more like a # 1 and a # 3; b) troy smith and jamarcus russell are not option qb's; c) the senior qb class isn't thrilling (quinn, smith, then it drops to trent edwards, tyler palko, jordan palmer, kevin kolb); d) if you add in the only jr's that could possibly declare (and be worth it), your list looks something like this: quinn, brohm, russell, smith, edwards, kolb, palko, palmer.

i'm not sold on smith. kolb seems to be a system qb, palmer throws too many int's. so, imo, you have two options: first, you decide which two qb's you want to keep from culpepper, harrington and lemon. this decision will be impacted by which, if any, jr's declare. if both brohm and russell declare, one of them is your first round pick, and you decide which qb's to keep on the basis that brohm/russell is your qb in '08. if they don't declare, you can wait and draft edwards or palko (# 3 or # 4), and give them an extra year to develop.

for what it's worth..... a) schaub will be more expensive than a # 2, possibly more like a # 1 and a # 3; b) troy smith and jamarcus russell are not option qb's; c) the senior qb class isn't thrilling (quinn, smith, then it drops to trent edwards, tyler palko, jordan palmer, kevin kolb); d) if you add in the only jr's that could possibly declare (and be worth it), your list looks something like this: quinn, brohm, russell, smith, edwards, kolb, palko, palmer.

i'm not sold on smith. kolb seems to be a system qb, palmer throws too many int's. so, imo, you have two options: first, you decide which two qb's you want to keep from culpepper, harrington and lemon. this decision will be impacted by which, if any, jr's declare. if both brohm and russell declare, one of them is your first round pick, and you decide which qb's to keep on the basis that brohm/russell is your qb in '08. if they don't declare, you can wait and draft edwards or palko (# 3 or # 4), and give them an extra year to develop.

Yeah, I can remember Marino "throwing too many Int's" in college too...what's your point?

Now that it is obvious to all that the Culpepper trade was a bust and that Harrington still sucks this team has to get a QB.
For years, most NFL scouts have been saying that Matt Schaub of Atlanta will be a good when given the chance.
Vick will never leave Atlanta.
The Fins need to go after this guy instead of any rookie in the draft.

How can you say the C-pep trade is a bust. We won't know that till next year. Patience bro!

Then allow C-pep full recovery and he's the starter...period.
That's just an imbecilic statement. The very problem with this football franchise over that last five miserable years is that bums keep getting 'anointed' the starting job without ever proving they deserve it.

Draft for the future with a 1st round pick; then hope to start that future on opening day.

Cleo Lemon is your #2 quarterback and a mid-round pick is your 3rd-string developmental guy. Yeah, you read that right. I say trade some of these surplus defensive linemen (the deepest part of our roster) for extra pick(s) in the 4-5th rounds. Use a second-day pick to get another young QB.

This team has been so bad at QB for so long we really need a commitment from both the coaching staff and player personnel gurus to infuse new blood and build from within at this most critical position.

What did he do the year after before he got injured [2005]? Oh nothing, 72.0 QB rating, which is just a bit better than Joey's present rating.

How many years seperated is he from his prime [2004]? 2.

How many years seperated will he be headed in to next year? 3.

Bottom line, Daunte Culpepper is turning 30 years old, and needs his mobility to be effective as he is NOT a proven pocket passer. He had three ligaments torn on his knee, and after 16-17 months [started the 2005 season with a bad knee], still has not recovered and no guarantee he will be 100% next season. He has been injury prone his entire professional career.

What he did in Minnesota does not matter anymore. In Miami, he will have to change his whole game. With this offensive line, he will have to make faster, smarter, and quicker decisions. He will have to move his legs faster, he will have to get rid of the ball when the play is dead.

His 60% completion percentage this season is FAR overrated. Had he managed the game better and gotten rid of the ball instead of taking sack after sack and having to put up with long 3rd and 20's, I would bet his completion percentage would have been less than 54%. And the offensive line did NOT magically got fixed in the New England game. There were numerous times [about 5-6 times] that Joey Harrington would have been flattened out had he held the ball just a half a second longer in his 1st game.

Now even if Daunte were to get anywhere near 100%, how long is this "future", and how long will this player be effective? 3-4 years [34 years old]? Maybe 2 if his injury pattern continues to be on pace as it has? That's not a "FRANCHISE QB". A FRANCHISE QB is a player you have for over 10 years. What we have in Culpepper right now IF [a big IF] he ever gets healthy and back to pro bowl form, is a SHORT TERM FUTURE. Unfortunately, everything about him is a HUGE question mark.

Listening to Don Shula's comments on Culpepper last Monday night [he is like God to me], he doesn't sound sold on Culpepper either. Can you really blame him?

Time to draft a real franchise quarterback.
Another great post from Vertical Limit. Can we five-star individual posts?

:D

yeah..

Nah, nah, nah, he couldn't jsut trade up and draft a qb and assume Culpepper was going to suck. Can you blame anyone for not being sold on Culpepper? Of course not! No one SHOULD be sold on Culpepper. He has done nothing to show that, but should everyone have given up on him already? No. Drafting a qb this year, or finding a suitable backup (not joey) who could lead the team to victory's, is a good idea. Giving up on Culpepper after he only played a few games (like 4 or so?) without being 100% in any of them? Naaah, can't give up on him yet. Yes hes 2 years or so from his "prime" but, hes also still incredibly talented and not THAT old, so I would find a -potential replacement- for him but, still give him a chance to prove himself next year.

By the way, Matt Shaub may not be the Atlanta qb that gets a ticket elsewhere. Reports say that qb, just might be Vick.

That's just an imbecilic statement. The very problem with this football franchise over that last five miserable years is that bums keep getting 'anointed' the starting job without ever proving they deserve it.

Draft for the future with a 1st round pick; then hope to start that future on opening day.

Cleo Lemon is your #2 quarterback and a mid-round pick is your 3rd-string developmental guy. Yeah, you read that right. I say trade some of these surplus defensive linemen (the deepest part of our roster) for extra pick(s) in the 4-5th rounds. Use a second-day pick to get another young QB.

This team has been so bad at QB for so long we really need a commitment from both the coaching staff and player personnel gurus to infuse new blood and build from within at this most critical position.

Ok Mr. GM what do you do with C-Pep, that large contract and the 2nd round pick you invested? You always have competition for starting jobs but C-Pep SHOULD start off #1 on the depth chart. If he can keep it-great....if not...may the best man win. We do need to draft a QB THIS DRAFT. I said that last year both BEFORE and AFTER the C-PEP trade...and got blasted for it! Too many people were screaming for defense!

Yeah, I can remember Marino "throwing too many Int's" in college too...what's your point?

i guess my point would be that jordan palmer (playing at utep?) throws too many interceptions to overcome his overall talent level, level of competition and level of accomplishment - as opposed to marino, who may have thrown too many int's at pitt but was far, far more talented and accomplished at the end of his college career than jordan palmer can be considered to be, even in someone's wildest dreams. palmer didn't even dominate his conference (Conference USA?). last year's top qb's in the draft - young, leinhart, cutler - had very good college careers against top notch competition.

i'm gonna assume you didn't mean to use 'marino' and 'palmer' in the same sentence like they are comparable. so, my point is that 'too many int's' is the very first thing you think about when you think of jordan palmer - rather than 'most talented qb in the '07 draft class, too bad about the int's'. if he wasn't carson's brother, we wouldn't be talking about him.

Back
Top Bottom