Trade for QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for QB

That's just an imbecilic statement. The very problem with this football franchise over that last five miserable years is that bums keep getting 'anointed' the starting job without ever proving they deserve it.

Draft for the future with a 1st round pick; then hope to start that future on opening day.

This team has been so bad at QB for so long we really need a commitment from both the coaching staff and player personnel gurus to infuse new blood and build from within at this most critical position.

4 games is not a chance. You're right, you can't GIVE someone the starting job,which is why you DO draft for the future. However, start on opening day? Absolutely not. You have given up on a qb when you have not seen him play at 100% for your team yet, and only 4 games anyway? You know better than that. They have to make a commitment to WIN, not a commitment to trade or bench any qb who does bad for some time.

Joey Harrington, yes Joey Harrington, has had TWICE the chance CULPEPPER has had (literally, in fact almost 3 times the amount of games) and I would say Joey is Done but, WHY would you think Culpepper (who is still as good as joey [not that thats really good but, still] WHILE being injured, has FAR more talent, and is a much better qb when healthy) should get LESS of a chance than Joey Harrington who has never been much of a winner in this league? "Infuse new blood" doesn't automatically mena draft a qb in the first round. I can see why you would though, but first FIND a qb you LIKE, not just genericly any first round qb, and find one that maybe you can get a little later. Focus on them, and get them but, GIVE Culpepper a chance to actually prove himself. If Carson Palmer had the same chance you want to give Culpepper, he'd be out of this league by now. The Bengals were patient with him, and look how it paid off. Culepper has that kind of talent. I am not saying he will turn into Palmer productivity wise, but he can certainly be very good if given the time to heal, which he absolutely will be since hes going to have the entire offseason, after not having played much this year. Yeah, he wasn't what you expected out of him this year, but do not let your disdain for your qb situation as of the past few years, cloud your judgement into saying he should be GONE immediately. The Organization has been overly patient with people like Jay Fiedler, who isn't that talented to begin with, so being MINORLY patient with someone like Culpepper, who has worlds of talent, wouldn't be a wrong decision. As you said though, try to find a qb in the draft, to be prepared for anything, but don't give up just yet....

Ok Mr. GM what do you do with C-Pep, that large contract and the 2nd round pick you invested? You always have competition for starting jobs but C-Pep SHOULD start off #1 on the depth chart. If he can keep it-great....if not...may the best man win.

Well, that isn't what you said in your first post:

Finfanforever said:
allow C-pep full recovery and he's the starter ...period.
Nice backpedal you got there, maybe we should be starting you in our secondary!

And the 2nd-rounder is gone. We're not getting it back. So by your reasoning we should just keep losing behind this bum until that wasted pick was 'worth it'? Nice...

And Bumpepper's contract doesn't cost us anything if we do the smart thing and cut him now. The Vikes already paid his signing bonus and his contract doesn't balloon up until 2007, when he'll cost us $5.5 million under the cap.

We do need to draft a QB THIS DRAFT. I said that last year both BEFORE and AFTER the C-PEP trade...and got blasted for it! Too many people were screaming for defense!
Then what is the problem? I wanted a QB, so did many others. Just because you've screwed the pooch at this position before doesn't mean you don't keep trying to fix it. Even if that means spending another high-round pick.

Just because you've screwed the pooch at this position before doesn't mean you don't keep trying to fix it. Even if that means spending another high-round pick.

I have to disagree with this. Miami needs to draft and utilize FA to strengthen the team AROUND the QB position. Let C-Pep heal......Harrington cannot put a team on his back, but how many QBs in the league can? Did Trent Dilfer? Did Brad Johnson?

If they can strengthen around the QB with REAL impact people (also on D), then Miami can be a playoff caliber team in 2007 with the QBs on the roster.

We all need to get used to the idea that C-Pep will be the starter and JH and CL will be 2 &3(maybe not in that order).

C-PEP is are quarterback for next year and the year after that for sure...but after that it can be up to debate considering if we can pick up a guy in like the third or maybe second round this year and sit and learn for the next 2. worked for rivers and the chargers by sitting him two years till brees was gone and in another way denver... they had a Plummer a somewhat proven QB that made mistakes like CPEP has done and they went ahead and addressed the need early in the draft and not take risks late

MY PICK IS DRAFT DREW STANTON THIS YEAR IN THIRD if not second if we have to....he is going to be good

We all need to get used to the idea that C-Pep will be the starter and JH and CL will be 2 &3(maybe not in that order).[/quote]

why do we have to get used that idea? why shouldn't c-pep have to prove himself? i completely disagree with the notion that because he was expensive to acquire we should stick with him. if he can't do the job, then why have it handed to him. prove it in training camp - whoever has the best training camp, wins the job. if culpepper is the qb you and others claim he is, it shouldn't be a problem for him, right? but draft a qb, because even if culpepper wins the job, he is still an aging veteran playing on a surgically reconstructed knee. no more trades, no more fa's at qb - draft and develop.

also, in a previous post, i failed to include drew stanton - excellent point, stanton would be great in the second or third (ahead of edwards and palko).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dredd said:
We all need to get used to the idea that C-Pep will be the starter and JH and CL will be 2 &3(maybe not in that order).
why do we have to get used that idea? why shouldn't c-pep have to prove himself? i completely disagree with the notion that because he was expensive to acquire we should stick with him. if he can't do the job, then why have it handed to him. prove it in training camp - whoever has the best training camp, wins the job. if culpepper is the qb you and others claim he is, it shouldn't be a problem for him, right? but draft a qb, because even if culpepper wins the job, he is still an aging veteran playing on a surgically reconstructed knee. no more trades, no more fa's at qb - draft and develop.

also, in a previous post, i failed to include drew stanton - excellent point, stanton would be great in the second or third (ahead of edwards and palko).
CTD, these Culpepper Apologists like Dredd fear an open competition at QB like the Bengals fear red and blue flashing lights. The last thing they want is a great young QB to expose Bumpepper for the indecisive disaster he is.

Joey may have looked pretty bad at several points this season, but one thing he did do was put the lie to the assertion that it was the o-line that caused Culpepper to turn into a human hackysack.

Now that it is obvious to all that the Culpepper trade was a bust and that Harrington still sucks this team has to get a QB.
For years, most NFL scouts have been saying that Matt Schaub of Atlanta will be a good when given the chance.
Vick will never leave Atlanta.
The Fins need to go after this guy instead of any rookie in the draft.

It isn't obvious to me that Culpepper is a bust. Don't tell me how I feel about the situation because if anybody looks at it properly they will see we still don't know what we have with Daunte - nobody can provide a good argument that he will not be able to play to a high level, anyone that thinks they can is an idiot.

Schaub has been decent in limited action on a WEST COAST offense, that's short passes more often than not and it isn't the offense we are built to run. Atlanta will want a 1st rounder for him and anyone who wants to give that away for an unproven commodity (a la A.J. Feeley) shouldn't have any say in how this franchise is run.

We all need to get used to the idea that C-Pep will be the starter and JH and CL will be 2 &3(maybe not in that order).[/quote]

Culpepper will have the best camp if healthy. He is the most physically gifted which is what shows in camp, he won't be tested in game situations.

cowtownDICK

Well, that isn't what you said in your first post:

Nice backpedal you got there, maybe we should be starting you in our secondary!

And the 2nd-rounder is gone. We're not getting it back. So by your reasoning we should just keep losing behind this bum until that wasted pick was 'worth it'? Nice...

And Bumpepper's contract doesn't cost us anything if we do the smart thing and cut him now. The Vikes already paid his signing bonus and his contract doesn't balloon up until 2007, when he'll cost us $5.5 million under the cap.

Then what is the problem? I wanted a QB, so did many others. Just because you've screwed the pooch at this position before doesn't mean you don't keep trying to fix it. Even if that means spending another high-round pick.

You totally misinterpreted what I said in my first post. I will clarify for you...C-Pep assuming fully healed should be the #1 on the depth chart going in. Then it's up to him to win the starting job. To simply cut a spent 2nd round price tag QB after 4 games (and not fully recovered)as your proposing, is really $tupid! :goof: God! I'm glad your not the GM...but then again you wouldn't last long with your philosophy anyway!:sidelol:

Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you?

Hopefully the coaching staff (whomever they may be) will realize what I've known since Spring 2006: Culpepper is an overrated bum who is a running quarterback that can no longer run. His fumbling, one-read-and-scramble, second-read-and-run talents will squander our season once again if he is handed the top job next year.

I predicted Culpepper would kill our season the day he was traded here. I was right then and I'm going on the record again - now - that the Dolphins will fall to disaster once more in 2007 if he remains in an aqua uniform.

Ditch the one-trick ponies for 2007 and get us a real field general!

Can you tell me what the winnin numbers will be tonight in the Louisiana lottery?

You totally misinterpreted what I said in my first post. I will clarify for you...C-Pep assuming fully healed should be the #1 on the depth chart going in. Then it's up to him to win the starting job. To simply cut a spent 2nd round price tag QB after 4 games (and not fully recovered)as your proposing, is really $tupid! :goof: God! I'm glad your not the GM...but then again you wouldn't last long with your philosophy anyway!:sidelol:
You hear that everyone?! We should have kept Feeley. :rolleyes:

I think many fans in here need to embrace this thought. Build where there are needs that will keep this team from being successful in 07 and the future. Perhaps QB, but more glaring: OL, secondary, a #1 wideout....

Agreed. I wouldn't mind drafting a Qb but not on the first day of the draft. We have already spend a second round pick on Culpepper and even Feeley a couple of years ago. I wouldn't mind spending a 5th rd pick on a Qb in this year's draft but we already used it in TRADING for a Qb. A second rd pick is too much to spend on Schaub and even if we drafted Brohn, Smith, Palko, or Stanton they won't start for us next year. I am not sold on Daunte but I think he will start as soon as he is healthy next year. Don't know when that will be though.

Back
Top Bottom